speaker up grade and sub - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: speaker up grade and sub

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Did you have to modify anything to get the 6.5" speakers to fit (cut speaker grill, shroud, other)?

Also, how deep are the speaker wells (will they accommodate larger/deeper magnets)?

TIA
    You want the MM series component speakers, but they are best with a different amplifier. Installing an amplifier on the F6B for optimum performance is not real hard, but does require some soldering and ability to read wiring diagrams. The easier ways are less than ideal and will yield less than ideal results. My system absolutely rocks. There is a thread where I detailed what I did. I could do it again much easier, but that is because I have already done the trial and error thing until I found what really worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    MInd you that you went with db series speakers.
    to be honest,they fit sounded better than stock and i dint know what mm speakers are...
    i also got a set of jl audio tr 600 cx1 speakers..but the fosgates rock

You want the MM series component speakers, but they are best with a different amplifier. Installing an amplifier on the F6B for optimum performance is not real hard, but does require some soldering and ability to read wiring diagrams. The easier ways are less than ideal and will yield less than ideal results. My system absolutely rocks. There is a thread where I detailed what I did. I could do it again much easier, but that is because I have already done the trial and error thing until I found what really worked.
    and a great thread it is...
    my trunk was a result of that thread..and it rocks

I just found and read your other thread. Very informative. Thank you for sharing.

I have done a few bike and a few car stereos over the years, also have a Weller soldering station. I have never liked using high-level step-down transformers. Would much rather have access to pre-amp outs as you were able to access.

I have a BikeTronics BT4180 (lifetime guarantee) which is 4 x 180wpc in my current bike that I can use in the F6B. BikeTronics has some 7.1" speaker pods that can be bolted onto a tour pack. Would like to have descent 6.5" front speakers, but it may not be possible with the F6B. Also have some Hertz/BikeTronics 5.25" speakers that can go into the build.

Glad to hear the head unit has 4 channels of preamp outs exposed and front-to-back fader functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe187 View Post
    to be honest,they fit sounded better than stock and i dint know what mm speakers are...
    i also got a set of jl audio tr 600 cx1 speakers..but the fosgates rock
    Here you go:

http://www.polkaudio.com/mm651/d/1151

Attachment 13265

Polk Audio MM651

MInd you that you went with db series speakers.
    Has anyone here successfully mounted the PA MM651's?

If so, was the speakers or dash modified?

Were mounting rings used (is there space for mounting rings under the grill cover)?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Has anyone here successfully mounted the PA MM651's?

If so, was the speakers or dash modified?

Were mounting rings used (is there space for mounting rings under the grill cover)?

TIA
    Not sure about the 651s, but the MM6501s yes, Thatonebiker has mounted them. There should not be much difference in mounting the woofer portion though as the 651s are coaxial speakers and the MM6501s are component speakers. Mounting the 651s should be identical to the 6501s just without having to deal with the separate tweeter and crossover.

I installed the MM5251s. I installed these because I wasn't sure the 6.5s could fit. I now know that it has been done and it isn't that difficult. My understanding is that some trimming or shaving down the sides of the speaker frame is necessary . The speakers will have to use a small spacer to clear the speaker from inside the speaker enclosures on each side. My understanding ,from what I was told, is that the 6501s come with a spacer to use. Then there is a divider/partition piece of plastic that is part of the dash / speaker grill . This divider/partition is like a sound guide that comes off the grill/ dash and partially encircles the circumference of the OEM speakers. This has to be trimmed down a little to allow for the added height of the new speakers with the spacers. If I was purchasing again, I'd order the MM6501s. I'm pretty happy with the 5.25" speakers, but I'm running a sub. I chose the Polk Audio MM component series because of their construction (neodymium magnet) , Marine rated duty, reviews, speaker impedance , and frequency response ratings. The neodymium magnet means no big magnet structure to deal with. Neodymium magnets are not cheap though, so speakers with these do tend to cost more for that reason alone.

Yeah those Frogzskins are really cool. I first learned of them when I was shopping for potential speaker options for my Valkyrie. There are speaker kits for Harley bags ( I have Road King Classic bags on my Valkyrie) that listed a screen product called Frogzskin to keep out water. A simple Google revealed that they are designed for snowmobiles and personal watercraft to vent air intakes etc... The product comes in many shapes and sizes. It also can be bought as just the material. The pre shaped ones ,like the circles I bought, are basically peel and stick and can conform to corners etc... Pretty cool.

Yes, this sub hits hard. It's hard to believe all that bass is coming from just a 6.5" driver. I have decided , though, that I am going to line the left bag with some Dynamat sound deadening material. On really heavy bass material and high volume, the bag begins to have a slight rattle. Nothing really bad, but the sound deadening material should eliminate it. Going on a ride today.Will test it out while riding. Suppose to be high of 55.
    So
    a year later...

I picked this project back up.

Question:
    I installed frogzskin with 1/2' holes in honeycomb pattern, installed the frogzskin, and damn if that thing didn't buzz like a kazoo with every note. I put as little glue as I could on the inside where there was plastic to hold the frogzskin against the plastic so it didn't rattle. and although that solved the buzz, but the difference between closed/open saddlebag is extreme.

I have a second frogzskin that I was going to mount near the footpeg, but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem with the frogzskin, and what you did to solve it. I expect adding the second one will help allow air in/out, but I don't' want to end up ruining two frogzskins in the process.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    So
    a year later...

I picked this project back up.

Question:
    I installed frogzskin with 1/2' holes in honeycomb pattern, installed the frogzskin, and damn if that thing didn't buzz like a kazoo with every note. I put as little glue as I could on the inside where there was plastic to hold the frogzskin against the plastic so it didn't rattle. and although that solved the buzz, but the difference between closed/open saddlebag is extreme.

I have a second frogzskin that I was going to mount near the footpeg, but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem with the frogzskin, and what you did to solve it. I expect adding the second one will help allow air in/out, but I don't' want to end up ruining two frogzskins in the process.

thanks!
    I didn't have any issues with the Frogzkins. Over a year and a half and no issues. I have three different vents in my saddlebag. Not sure how many you used. I made sure to properly prep the area that the Frogzkins went on just like you would with any adhesive based product. YOu know cleaning the area with alcohol etc...
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I didn't have any issues with the Frogzkins. Over a year and a half and no issues. I have three different vents in my saddlebag. Not sure how many you used. I made sure to properly prep the area that the Frogzkins went on just like you would with any adhesive based product. YOu know cleaning the area with alcohol etc...
    I must have some bad juju..

Only installed one, I had more vent space than you did on the one. I will just add more I suppose. It was worse when I had the driver facing the frogzskin. It was vibrating with the air movement; as if the frogskin was not allowing enough air to move and the air pressure moved the skin as well.

thanks J!