BMW working on a new K1600 for US Market - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW working on a new K1600 for US Market

BMW 1600

I owned a gtl1600 before I found my f6b...lots of cool reasons to have one and not have one. All in all...my f6b is a fare better daily and long day ride.

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Gotta lose that transformers front end. Rounded lines are ok.
    My last bike was a BMW, it was the first place I went when I wanted a new bike, walked the showroom, and walked right out.
    The styling on the BMWs leaves a lot to be desired. Not sure who they are targeting, but the "Transformers" look just ain't for me.

BMW bikes....

I like the looks of the K1600GT and the R1200RT, and intend on going to test ride them both.

K1600 Gt / in-line 6-cyl / 1649 cc, 160 hp, max torque 129 ft-lb, 703lbs wet wt.- 650lbs dry wt.

R1200RT / new air/water-cooled boxer engine, 1170 cc, 125 hp, max torque 92 ft-lb, 604lbs wet wt.

F6B / 844lbs wet wt.

Pricing is steep but my local dealer who sells BMW and Triumph, has been very nice to me ever since I walked in the door for the first time a year ago, and has offered to let me ride anything on the floor. They also assure me that if I buy a new bike and if there is any trouble with it, they will provide me with a loaner bike while my potential purchase bike is in the shop, although I may need to get that in writing you think?

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisGray View Post
    They also assure me that if I buy a new bike and if there is any trouble with it, they will provide me with a loaner bike while my potential purchase bike is in the shop
    Great offer, because you'll need it.
    BMW's are right behind Can-Am and Ducati in need of repairs.
    Even HD is more reliable than BMW.

reliability...

Yes that is what worries me. I don't know for sure how some of the ratings are factored in. If it is minor electrical issues that causes their rating to be so bad that is one thing. If engine failures that would be a very bad thing. They put a lot of new technology in their bikes so it seems understandable to me that they may have a good bit of technical issues. But I have not ridden one yet and may not like them at all. I want to go back and ride the F6B again with a taller windscreen and with my wife on the back of it. My local Honda dealer is very nice also. I know for a fact the 1800cc motor is ironclad but I am unsure if the F6B is the right bike for me. I would not get rid of my Harley if it were suitable to travel with my wife riding along but she wants to ride with me and has agreed to let me keep it no matter what I buy if I want to. I personally would rather own one nice bike that suits both of us together and me solo. Maybe buy me another dirt bike though and get her one.

I do wish all motorcycle manufacturers would sell their bikes with seats that don't need to be replaced immediately. For me the F6B seat would have to be tailored or replaced. It felt like it was pushing me toward the tank and too wide near the tank also. JMO... not worth much except to me

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisGray View Post
    Yes that is what worries me. I don't know for sure how some of the ratings are factored in. If it is minor electrical issues that causes their rating to be so bad that is one thing. If engine failures that would be a very bad thing. They put a lot of new technology in their bikes so it seems understandable to me that they may have a good bit of technical issues. But I have not ridden one yet and may not like them at all. I want to go back and ride the F6B again with a taller windscreen and with my wife on the back of it. My local Honda dealer is very nice also. I know for a fact the 1800cc motor is ironclad but I am unsure if the F6B is the right bike for me. I would not get rid of my Harley if it were suitable to travel with my wife riding along but she wants to ride with me and has agreed to let me keep it no matter what I buy if I want to. I personally would rather own one nice bike that suits both of us together and me solo. Maybe buy me another dirt bike though and get her one.

I do wish all motorcycle manufacturers would sell their bikes with seats that don't need to be replaced immediately. For me the F6B seat would have to be tailored or replaced. It felt like it was pushing me toward the tank and too wide near the tank also. JMO... not worth much except to me
    I guess to each his own. If you came off a NC700 or VFR with your wife, she would say the F6B seat is the greatest. I have not changed my seat, it does not push me forward at all (never Armor-All'd). In fact, I find myself leaning against the back rise often. To go forward would mean I would have to go uphill! I don't have much leg room at 5'7" so tippy toe is required when stopped unless I stand up off my bottom. After looking at stock HD seats I think you would find it hard to compare to the passenger section of a F6B seat. In fact, compare our seat to a regular GW and our passenger seat wins for size.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

I'm not sure if I'm easy to please or if the OEM seat grows on you, but I still don't have a reason to replace mine.