Anyone have this problem? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone have this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Am I the only one who has seen plastic do this? Your headlight housings are toast, sorry.

Heat could very well be the culprit, but to proffer other theories, pressure or a force applied to the headlights may also do this. Have you ever had someone push on the headlights to help you back up?

Sadly, the headlight units are about $230 apiece.
    Have not had anyone push on bike, or had any impact on the housings. I can see strands of web moving that are not against lights. Are you saying that the So Cal HID lights are too hot for housings? if that is the case. Anybody else with heat cracks from these lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony Deluxe View Post
    Have not had anyone push on bike, or had any impact on the housings. I can see strands of web moving that are not against lights. Are you saying that the So Cal HID lights are too hot for housings? if that is the case. Anybody else with heat cracks from these lights?
    IMHO, neither the stock halogen bulbs nor the 35 watt HID bulbs from SoCalMoto generate enough heat to cause heat cracks in the lenses. When you say you can see strands of web moving inside the lenses, I would assume that what you're seeing is, in fact, spider webs. Now...how spider or spiders got inside BOTH your housings is anybody's guess. The rubber boot on the back normally seals quite well. What you could do as a test, is remove one of the rubber boots and the bulb and blow some compressed air through the opening to see if this will clear out whatever is in there.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    IMHO, neither the stock halogen bulbs nor the 35 watt HID bulbs from SoCalMoto generate enough heat to cause heat cracks in the lenses. When you say you can see strands of web moving inside the lenses, I would assume that what you're seeing is, in fact, spider webs. Now...how spider or spiders got inside BOTH your housings is anybody's guess. The rubber boot on the back normally seals quite well. What you could do as a test, is remove one of the rubber boots and the bulb and blow some compressed air through the opening to see if this will clear out whatever is in there.
    Will do, now that you mention that when looking down the tunnel on the right side I can see light coming through the boot. I should of done this when I changed out air filter.

Will do, now that you mention that when looking down the tunnel on the right side I can see light coming through the boot. I should of done this when I changed out air filter.
    Having either a tear or any kind of opening in that boot would surely explain your unusual problem. Hope you get it sorted.
    Ken (Hornblower)

I wonder what the non-spider web naysayers who have categorically stated it is heat related while all the time it has obviously looked like spider webs to me on my computer screen have to say now?
    Any new theories non heat or impact related?
    I do know heat can cause crazing on plastics as well as long exposer to the sun, just look at the head lights on a lot of older cages and the dull and crazing look to them.
    There must be a way a spider is accessing the interior, a very small spider can easly slip through a very small crack or hole and make the webs.

Hey I'm just waiting for the brown truck to make a delivery for one of my sick steel steeds.....not the F6B.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

FWIW, I had 55 watt HIDs (bulbs and ballasts) in my Vision's plastic lens for @ 5 years with no heat related issues.

The only issue I had with them was a large wiring harness to deal with (including large delay turn-on caps).

Retro-Solutions 55 watt HID Kits

Hmm; you see them moving? Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I wonder what the non-spider web naysayers who have categorically stated it is heat related while all the time it has obviously looked like spider webs to me on my computer screen have to say now?
    Any new theories non heat or impact related?
    I would have to blame a 2nd rider on the grassy knoll

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Hmm; you see them moving? Let us know what you find.

I would have to blame a 2nd rider on the grassy knoll

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/