Up to "here" with Harley riders and others (at times)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Up to "here" with Harley riders and others (at times)

Up to "here" with Harley riders and others (at times)

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    I never owned a Harley. Had a nice metric cruiser, and did enjoy it. However, I never really figured out why the Harley people have to dress like walking billboards for H-D. And around this part of the country, if they own a pick-up truck, it has a big H-D sticker in the back window. I asked one of them once, if they had a Chevy sticker on the bike. He gave me a stupid look and asked why would he do that? I responded, your proud of your bike, as you have the sticker on the truck, are you ashamed of your truck? He didn't get the point, so I dropped the issue.
    Love that story.

And now for something completely different....

or or
    (pick whatever you like)

I have a Harley.
    She's 20 years old this year.
    Bought her in 2001 with less than 3000 miles.
    Previous owner put in new cams, new intake, better carb, better ignition, whole crap ton of performance stuff.
    She's pretty well chromed out - Steve would approve.
    She has a Thunderheader exhaust and she's embarrassingly loud at times.
    She makes 80 hp with 80 cu in.
    Almost 20,000 miles now. (she was 1 of 4 bikes until last year, now she's 1 of 2)

I'm a lifetime HOG member.
    I do not play in my local chapter anymore.
    I own a lot of stock in HD.
    I don't wear Harley gear.
    I don't put stickers everywhere. (F6B or Harley)
    I wear a big BMG nylon jacket with kevlar or CHP leather jacket and leather chaps for my ATGATT
    Plus a full face Shoei helmet.
    And the orange or green reflective vest, conditions dictating.
    People ask why I dress like a BMW rider and ride a Harley.

Dyed-in-the-wool Harley riders shun me.
    They don't understand ATGATT.
    Then they don't understand how my 20 year old girl leaves their 2013 Springer in the dust.
    Then they don't understand why they can't keep up with me in turns ("Oh, if I went that fast, I'd scrape my precious floorboards...")
    No. The answer is you don't know how to properly ride a two wheeled vehicle.

Bottom line: Harley riders, as a congress of riders, are really great, giving people, but, they are about the most average to below average riders I have witnessed.
    Hell, some of the HOG Road Captains couldn't pass a BRC2. We took 12 in a special class we setup specifically for them.
    I knew most of them when I wrote part of the local HOG Safety Newsletter.
    10 showed, the other 2 pontificated prior to the class to the others going that they "couldn't learn anything" from the course so they opted not to show.
    6 passed.
    2 failed the final practical.
    2 didn't complete the course - it was too hard / too hot.

This is why I do not do group rides well. I find "the masses" to be unpredictable and I don't enjoy the ride when I'm watching out for everyone else.
    I have to build a trust with anyone I ride with through experience. You can only increase your skill by riding/playing/working/fornicating with people who are better than you are.
    They are out there.....I try to find them as often as possible.
    Also....
    I do not do concerts well. I'm a professional sound engineer and I seldom enjoy a show.
    I do not fly as a passenger very well. I'm a professional pilot and I know what the guy in the front seat doesn't know.
    I do not suffer poor food and beverage well. My wife is a gourmet chef and we make our own wine. Having written that...Waffle House rocks...
    I do not tolerate cruelty to animals but I can kill easily a human who wanted me dead, and sleep peacefully.
    Finally, I do not do well with fools. My mother always taught me that "maybe they are doing the best they can" - so they get the initial benefit of the doubt.
    However, my one prejudice is "willful ignorance." When a load of facts cleverly disguised as 2x4s keeps beating you about the head and shoulders and you still don't learn?
    I have no time for you and really wish you wouldn't bother to reproduce.
    EndEx.

PS - i probably shouldn't drink straight tequila and post......
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Excellent post, driver, and I could eat at Waffle house everyday. My wife just kinda closes her eyes and shakes a little when someone asks me of my favorite restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Excellent post, driver, and I could eat at Waffle house everyday. My wife just kinda closes her eyes and shakes a little when someone asks me of my favorite restaurant.
    In & Out Burger goes over about as well here.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Yours is a good story as well. I was never a MRF instructor. I got a lot of miles under my belt, on various 2 wheelers, but I am well aware that there is still much for me to learn. I too, try to find better riders than myself. You can teach an old dog , new tricks!

You should become a writer Steve... but not while riding or flying of course.

Very entertaining... informative... thought provoking.

I'll bring my fork when your wife is cooking.

open-mindedly opinionated! I like that. I can relate Thanks.

Gotta love the tequila............

Must have been a special day.... I'm sitting here trying to think up something to say that would add something, 'cause I really agree with a lot of what you said but I'm coming up short. Especially love the part about your Mom, she must have been a saint. But the truth is "you can't fix stupid", and I know too many Harley riders that can't get past their own image and the local bar. God forbid you ask them to do a 500 mile day - for a week. Oh, well, to each his own. I have seen many of your posts, and it doesn't seem like there are too many F6B's out your way. I grew up a short distance from you in the Glenside area, but left 40 years ago. Usually go back to the Phila / Ocean City area once a year to see family and get pizza at Manco & Manco (liked Mack & Manco better) on the Ocean City boardwalk. Not many left of the family, but the Pizza is still the best I've ever had. Depending on timing this year I might be able to give you a shout and a drive-by. Keep posting, I for one really enjoy your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    You should become a writer Steve... but not while riding or flying of course.

Very entertaining... informative... thought provoking.

I'll bring my fork when your wife is cooking.
    Thanks mate.
    Her carpaccio is amazing....no knife needed, just the fork.
    Baked asparagus with bacon and sea salt.
    Paired with one our Chilean Malbecs and it is awesome chow.
    Chocolate raspberry port with cheeses for dessert.

Now I'm all hungry again....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Stupid people

Just glad he lives out there in PA cause speaking of stupid people that don't learn by experience the number increases exponentially the closer one gets to Cadillac, Michigan.
    these people have live here most of their lives yet they still can't drive from one end of town to the other without hitting every stop and go light. When they go home you can drive from one end of Cadillac to the other without stopping for a light. Just is frustrating at times and not fun on a bike.

How True.....all I can say is