I'm Pissed Off - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pissed Off

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    No voltage or current rating... perform your due diligence guys and make sure these can handle the power draw of your lights.

Since CycleMax gives no ratings, I'd assume these are for low power circuits (i.e. NOT for lights) until shown otherwise.

Navvet, you've been using these in high power circuits and no fires or hot connectors?

I ordered a set this evening and will research them when they arrive and advise. Look like they may be Molex brand and probably are sufficient for most installs. But i will do due diligence and report when they come in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    No voltage or current rating... perform your due diligence guys and make sure these can handle the power draw of your lights.

Since CycleMax gives no ratings, I'd assume these are for low power circuits (i.e. NOT for lights) until shown otherwise.

Navvet, you've been using these in high power circuits and no fires or hot connectors?
    Str8 - I am sorry I didn't fully explain the "due diligence" involved in this install.

While cyclemax does not give the rating for these connectors, they are a standard molex type connector, fully capable of handling 5 amps.

The switch is rated to 16 amps.

The lights are rated at 18W power consumption.

According to my fuzzy memories of basic electronics theory (Ohms Law) 18W @ 12V = 1.5A (each) or 3A total for the circuit ........

So ... everything I have talked about should be well within specs.

I do apologize for sounding incompetent in my postings, but let me assure you, I have 40 years of experience wiring any and everything from low voltage electronics to 250kw radar systems and have never had a fire or hot connector ..... I tend to error on the side of caution.

So when are we having that beer ?????

Also Stroguy, you might want to order the 3 and 4 pin connectors too. I don't remember offhand what the connector up at the top end and the power connector were.

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    I ordered a set this evening and will research them when they arrive and advise. Look like they may be Molex brand and probably are sufficient for most installs. But i will do due diligence and report when they come in.
    Good call on the Molex!

Str8 - I am sorry I didn't fully explain the "due diligence" involved in this install.

While cyclemax does not give the rating for these connectors, they are a standard molex type connector, fully capable of handling 5 amps.

The switch is rated to 16 amps.

The lights are rated at 18W power consumption.

According to my fuzzy memories of basic electronics theory (Ohms Law) 18W @ 12V = 1.5A (each) or 3A total for the circuit ........

So ... everything I have talked about should be well within specs.

I do apologize for sounding incompetent in my postings, but let me assure you, I have 40 years of experience wiring any and everything from low voltage electronics to 250kw radar systems and have never had a fire or hot connector ..... I tend to error on the side of caution.

So when are we having that beer ?????

Also Stroguy, you might want to order the 3 and 4 pin connectors too. I don't remember offhand what the connector up at the top end and the power connector were.
    Thanks for the info! Send me a PM when you're in the area; hopefully I'll have my bike back from the dealer soon.

FWIW, Amazon.com appears to have these lights as well in either spot (30°) or flood (60°) and their prices are less than what is on FleaBay. If you get a set of each, you could do the (1 spot + 1 flood) thing and have a spare set.

18 watt CREE Work Lights on Amazon

I have found these packages under at least 4 brand names so far.

HTH

Attachment 13930

Very nice Navy. I didn't think you sounded incompetent nor did I think SRT8 was heading that way at all. Think it appeared that this post was morphing into a mod for others to install other style lamps. And since the lamps can vary in style, wattage and voltage we were precautioning folks to plan ahead. Your fuzzy memory was good. PIE.

George...like to see your car. Were you a member over at lxforums?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Very nice Navy. I didn't think you sounded incompetent nor did I think SRT8 was heading that way at all. Think it appeared that this post was morphing into a mod for others to install other style lamps. And since the lamps can vary in style, wattage and voltage we were precautioning folks to plan ahead. Your fuzzy memory was good. PIE.

That's OK Stroguy, no insult taken from anybody. Just wanted to make sure Str8 did not think I was some hack trying to burn out my wiring.

As I said earlier "I am not recommending them for anyone else's use, just saying what I am using."

Been burned too many times by other people's hacks and errors so I never make direct recommendations.

Hey Stro, yes, LXforums has been incredibly beneficial to me over the years. I got all my high performance goodies from the guys there. And the only guys who'd Id ever let touch my car or tune it I met there How are you familiar with that site?

I don't have a ton of pictures but here's my other baby One of these days I oughtta get the underhood cleaned and polished to show off my stress reliever, a 2.8L Kenne Bell sitting on top. The blower is intercooled but I wanted additional cooling capacity so I assembled a stand alone oil cooler which helps to keep temperatures under control; the KB runs pretty hot.

This 4-door, 4500lb, grocery getter and family hauler does ok. I'm seeing 500 hp\tq at the wheels or about 600 at the crank. She'll cut a 1/4 mile in the high 11's and trap about 115 mph. I'm currently running 8psi of boost on a stock engine; when this one blows or wears out I think I'll get a little crazy with it. I'll put a fully forged engine in it and crank the boost until I'm just under 1,000 hp

That's OK Stroguy, no insult taken from anybody. Just wanted to make sure Str8 did not think I was some hack trying to burn out my wiring.

As I said earlier "I am not recommending them for anyone else's use, just saying what I am using."

Been burned too many times by other people's hacks and errors so I never make direct recommendations.
    All good Nav; I wasn't implying anything, just commenting that I didn't see ratings

This was my girl.

I joined over there back in 06 I believe. By far lxforums and sclx were the best run forums and clubs I have ever been around. LX platform came a long way from a lot of folks inputs there. One of the biggest successes was Billet Technolgy. A side business that blew up like a nuclear bomb because of lxforums and sclx.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver