Quote Originally Posted by buda315 View Post
I'm also thinking of a speaker upgrade.

I've narrowed choices to 5 options, each are 6.5'' speaker which is bigger than the stock 5.25''. All, from what I have read, are superior to the J&M speakers.

As mentioned, they may take some minor fab work.

Anyone want to chime in on the following options from Polk:

MM6501
MM651

DB6501
DB 651

DXI651

Not sure about the original poster, but I do not intend to add an amplifier or anything else besides the speakers.

Soo... I'm not sure if the MM series above, which are more expensive, would be worth it without an amp.

Personally, I am looking for clarity only and perhaps a slight increase in volume.

I don't know $hit about install, so I'm not sure if the "01" series with separate tweeters and crossover will be above my abilities to install.

The DXI651 series got good reviews, better than the DB series, by someone on the board, but it does not look like it is marine grade.
I installed the DXI 651 Polks.
Better volume and base.
Best utilizing these with an amp as the oem system doesn't have enough umph to bring them to their full potential. For a speaker only upgrade, they sound as good as oem before distorting, but with 1.5 % more volume.
They are Marine grade, by the way. I also pondered the DB vs the DXI and contacted Polk for an answer. They said they were both Marine rated and the DXI would have clearer highs.
I've had both. They both do best amplified.
By the way, the 5.25's are rated about the same. Think I might throw a pair of these I have on the bench, in. Just to hear any difference.
Did I say amp....

Jim