Picked up new F6B today & first time riding one... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up new F6B today & first time riding one...

From Sunny Florida.........................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

Congrats on the new bike!
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about God than in church thinking about my bike.

Remember not how a man died, but rather how he lived.

RIP:
    MVSB
    SpeedGeek
    Saxon
    Eric Gustafson

and congrates on getting your new ride.It only gets better every time you swing your leg over her.Happy and safe rides.

Aye Carumba!

Up to 81 miles on the odometer after a ride along the Lake Ontario shoreline to my folks' house. Took the afternoon off; not too many 65 F+ sunny days left this time of year in this part of the country.

Getting used to the bike. I now know why people say the Gold Wings are kinda like cars…I have to remind myself that it is a bike, not a car. So smooth, quiet, and isolated from the road. Except for that damn stock windshield; OMG that thing is awful.

When researching this bike, I never really looked performance because it is not a priority of mine. Yes, I like good power, but most bikes come with that standard anyway. I heard and read about the torque of the flat-6, and, sure, that's great, but never thought too much about it.

From a stop sign on a desolate road, I revved it past 3000 rpm for the first time, shifting to second a 5500 rpm, and continued to stay on the throttle. I couldn't believe my eyes…I was already at 60 mph!! How is it possible to accelerate that fast?!?! I looked up the performance stats and saw the F6B runs to 60 mph in about 3.5 seconds. That is just a shade behind most high-powered crotch rockets, for goodness sake!

This has been the biggest…and most pleasant…surprise so far. The freakin' power. Not that I am telling you guys anything you don't already know.

Anyone else sometimes not get a clean shift into 5th gear and have it pop out? Got me twice today.

I had mine on a dyno last month. 103 hp, 108 fp of torqe. The exhaust gas sniffer showed the bike runs on the lean side.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    From a stop sign on a desolate road, I revved it past 3000 rpm for the first time, shifting to second a 5500 rpm, and continued to stay on the throttle. I couldn't believe my eyes…I was already at 60 mph!! How is it possible to accelerate that fast?!?! I looked up the performance stats and saw the F6B runs to 60 mph in about 3.5 seconds. That is just a shade behind most high-powered crotch rockets, for goodness sake!

This has been the biggest…and most pleasant…surprise so far. The freakin' power. Not that I am telling you guys anything you don't already know.
    Allow me to introduce you to Yellow Wolf. He runs with the crotch rockets at Deals Gap. Or used to. I heard he wiped out--but his record averages 60 MPH at the Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XLJNLpzxQ
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That guy has bigger stones than I do. Pretty impressive. Al
    A man can never have to much red wine or to many good books or to much ammunition. Rudyard Kipling

Once I was young and now I am old and everything in the middle went way to damn fast.

Have you ever sat and thought...... Damn Ive been thru a lot of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Up to 81 miles on the odometer after a ride along the Lake Ontario shoreline to my folks' house. Took the afternoon off; not too many 65 F+ sunny days left this time of year in this part of the country.

Getting used to the bike. I now know why people say the Gold Wings are kinda like cars…I have to remind myself that it is a bike, not a car. So smooth, quiet, and isolated from the road. Except for that damn stock windshield; OMG that thing is awful.

When researching this bike, I never really looked performance because it is not a priority of mine. Yes, I like good power, but most bikes come with that standard anyway. I heard and read about the torque of the flat-6, and, sure, that's great, but never thought too much about it.

Anyone else sometimes not get a clean shift into 5th gear and have it pop out? Got me twice today.
    Some have had issues with the so called "ghost shifting" in 5th gear as you noticed...I have never had the issue, look up in the archives on the board and you will see that most times it is cured by making sure you pound it hard into 5th gear and not "pussy foot" shift so to speak..You will most likely find the correct way to pull the shifter up hard after you ride a while....Ride safe...PS, don't baby the thing and run up the revs a lot and then shift out...It will not hurt this motor at all, just don't ride at a constant speed for long periods of time until get you some miles on the thing!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Some have had issues with the so called "ghost shifting" in 5th gear as you noticed...I have never had the issue, look up in the archives on the board and you will see that most times it is cured by making sure you pound it hard into 5th gear and not "pussy foot" shift so to speak..You will most likely find the correct way to pull the shifter up hard after you ride a while....Ride safe...PS, don't baby the thing and run up the revs a lot and then shift out...It will not hurt this motor at all, just don't ride at a constant speed for long periods of time until get you some miles on the thing!!!!!

Yeah, I learned that after the second time. I have been jamming it into 5th, and the issue did not repeat itself.

The dealer told me the same thing - ride it as you normally would, don't be afraid to rev it, just avoid steady rpms for long stretches.

I am not one to ride / accelerate fast on a bike - I like to cruise - however the flat-6 is making it hard not to get on it a little bit. Shifting at 1800 rpm in each gear is more than enough to stay ahead of traffic.

I'm pretty sure that I seen that our bike makes most of the power at 4500 RPM