Your opinion on 2013 Harley Ultra Limited - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on 2013 Harley Ultra Limited

I have both and the Harley is more comfortable, and has a HELL of a lot better paint. IN the past 6 Harelys I have never had a reliability issue, or a problem with any one of them. They hold value well and parts have shown to have never been an issue should you ever need them.
    They can be made to run very well but at a cost. The aftermarket is huge.

I do like my F6B and tend to ride it more here in the mountains. The platform has proven reliability, and performance out of the box is great. Handling goes to the Honda in the twisties. I like the smooth quiet ride, and the ease of basic maintenance. However changing an air filter although not very frequent is a pain, and any other major work is difficult as well.

The Harley does have all of the bells and whistles you could want, but in the end the choice is yours to make. Both are good brands and have their following.

HD over F6B

I have had two Harleys...1996 Electra Glide Standard, and 2008 Street Glide (sold in 2009). I also rented a 2013 Electra Glide Classic this past summer.

I have also owned 4 Goldwings (77, 84, 86, 94). Ride, reliability, and performance for all of them were much better than the HD's. They were all used bikes that NEVER broke down or had any problems.

When I bought my first new Harley in 96 it broke down on the way home from the dealership (bad ECM). After that issue was resolved it didn't give me much problems and I had fun adding all the chrome goodies and performance mods. The heat from the motor in Sacramento valley during the summer was rough, and the carbed motor was VERY sluggish riding in the mountains. I enjoyed the group rides, culture, and attention I got with the Harley's. I was also much younger when I bought it (31).....and the ladies at the bars were MUCH more interested in going on Harley rides than my "old man" Goldwing's that I had previously owned. I also sold it 5 years later for the same thing I paid for it which was VERY nice. The 2008 Street Glide gave me some problems as well. Oil would come out air cleaner after riding for a couple hours at around 80 mph. This happened to me 3 times and the dealership could find no problems with it when I took it in! I sold it so I could buy a house and didn't have a bike for 4 years. When the F6B came out I fell in love and knew I had to have one.

I got my F6B Deluxe last month and have put about 300 miles on it. There is no comparison to the ride, handling, and power. The Electra Glide rental felt sloppy, top heavy, sluggish, and brakes were terrible. (rotors felt warped..which may have been due to being ridden hard as a rental). I'm done with Harleys.....especially after riding the F6B. The only mod I have planned right now is to install the 18" tinted F4 Customs windshield which is coming on TODAY! Yeah..I wish it had cruise control but that wasn't a show stopper for me. My wife says she enjoys riding on it more than any other bike she's been on. The F6B power and handling are shocking for a bike it's size. I don't like it being limited to 125mph, but that's probably a good thing for me.

If you were to ask me....pass on the Harley and go get an F6B. You will not be disappointed.

I just got my March copy of Motorcyclist mag...Read article on page 77 near the end of mag...Advise is buy the 2014 as the new Mt. Rushmore models may have a very negative effect on re-sale/trade of older models including the 2013's....Just a thought!!

I, also am looking at the 2014 Ultra…. Time to up grade my 03…having said that…you can not compare girlfriends…one can do something better than the other…that does not make one better than the other. I have had 4 H.D.’s. I have never been let down on the side of the road or had any of them in the shop. But…they are two different girls made to do different things. I suggest you have both like I do…The most bikes I ever had at one time was four and I “ loved “ them each for what they could do…I just could never afford that many women !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I just got my March copy of Motorcyclist mag...Read article on page 77 near the end of mag...Advise is buy the 2014 as the new Mt. Rushmore models may have a very negative effect on re-sale/trade of older models including the 2013's....Just a thought!!
    Could be! With so many years of the same thing over and over, the 'pool' of 'same ting' would be pretty large.

I remember semi-early on, before all the specs were out on Rushmore, some HD boards had guys who were searching out 13's,, scared of the 14's as 'water-assisted cooling' was a factor in some models,,, they swore the 'old bikes' would go up in value with the new models coming out.

It would be pretty ironic (at least for those folks) if the 'pre-rushmore' models value dropped as a result of the 14's,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I, also am looking at the 2014 Ultra…. Time to up grade my 03…having said that…you can not compare girlfriends…one can do something better than the other…that does not make one better than the other. I have had 4 H.D.’s. I have never been let down on the side of the road or had any of them in the shop. But…they are two different girls made to do different things. I suggest you have both like I do…The most bikes I ever had at one time was four and I “ loved “ them each for what they could do…I just could never afford that many women !!!
    My 2003 never gave me a bit of trouble. If I were you I'd keep the 2003. Your asking for trouble buying the 14 ,the first year of many upgrades and many recalls.
    This is coming from first hand knowledge of one such 14 that spends a great deal of time in the shop. Lots of computer problems and electrical. I've ridden with him on my F6B many times and hung out at the dealer all day with him while they worked on it. Its dog slow compared to mine.................Dickie

To each his own. Buy what floats you boat.................Dickie

Ride what you like. But, since you asked, I have owned 10 Harley's, mostly touring bikes, and 3 Wings including my current F6B. During my younger years, I enjoyed the Harley social aspect. As I got older, Harley friends tended to drift away as did I. Quality and reliability is definitely in the Honda column. I spent volumes of money on cams, big bore kits, etc. to make the Harley run better than it's stock sluggish form. I read all those who praise Harley paint. Most of mine were black and, after the first wax job, my experience was that there were swirl marks in paint that lasted forever.

Attachment 3801Attachment 3802
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hear ya Dickie.... but my Brother in Law in on the way from Germany and he has money buring a hole in his pocket !!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

HD Rushmore issue

I thank all of you for this valuable information. I am going to enjoy my F6B for a couple more years. I will take a look at the Rushmore Ultra in 2016. I had heard from a friend of mine who is the GM at the local HD dealership that they are having issues with the water-cooled engines.

Ride safe!

Rich