Belly pan - Yeah, I think it's a "must have"

Thread: Belly pan - Yeah, I think it's a "must have"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    You should only have to take off the small front section to change oil and filter. Mine is the same type as yours.
    You are 100% correct.
    However, I pull the whole thing off every oil change so I can do an inspection and cleaning of what's going on under there.
    Also bend it back into shape as required.....

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    You are 100% correct.
    However, I pull the whole thing off every oil change so I can do an inspection and cleaning of what's going on under there.
    Also bend it back into shape as required.....

Cheers,
    Steve
    If you have to bend it back in shape after each oil change you must be using the bike trail riding. Mine has a few minor scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    If you have to bend it back in shape after each oil change you must be using the bike trail riding. Mine has a few minor scratches.
    It got bent one time and the two screws became "difficult to manage" so now I just pull the whole thing off and take a look see underneath!
    Getting into the twisties scrapes the sides pretty good (as pictured) and "flicking" the bike over in a delayed apex turn sometimes causes longitudinal compression which needs to be reset.
    No biggie.
    Isleen doesn't like gravel and going off road...so we pretty much avoid that.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Get a McGuyver pan and you will not have to rebend it anymore.I had a sheet metal pan and it did the same as yours which told me I was at times catching curbs or speed bumps at times.The McGuyver pan is really stout and I have not had that problem.No matter what to me a pan is a must as yes it does protect the coolant tank but also can save the lower engine case as some on the Goldwing sites have shown-Nice crack in the engine case would not be a fun or cheap fix.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    Get a McGuyver pan and you will not have to rebend it anymore.I had a sheet metal pan and it did the same as yours which told me I was at times catching curbs or speed bumps at times.The McGuyver pan is really stout and I have not had that problem.No matter what to me a pan is a must as yes it does protect the coolant tank but also can save the lower engine case as some on the Goldwing sites have shown-Nice crack in the engine case would not be a fun or cheap fix.
    I'd rather go with a softer belly pan with "crunch ripples" than transfer that impact completely to the 4 acorn bolts that hold it on - personal preference.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    It got bent one time and the two screws became "difficult to manage" so now I just pull the whole thing off and take a look see underneath!
    Getting into the twisties scrapes the sides pretty good (as pictured) and "flicking" the bike over in a delayed apex turn sometimes causes longitudinal compression which needs to be reset.
    No biggie.
    Isleen doesn't like gravel and going off road...so we pretty much avoid that.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    She ain't kin to Sweet Georgia then.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    She ain't kin to Sweet Georgia then.
    Them slower red ones prolly do real good on gravel - but their faster black siblings like asphalt.

Isleen will do gravel if it's an ad hoc situation, but if she thinks that I knew in advance we were hitting gravel, she's gonna let me know about it.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce