Best replacement windshield? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Best replacement windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by copper View Post
    D-Train,

I also came from an M109...had it fitted with a Corbin fairing, and a taller aftermarket Long Ride windshield. No matter how I monkeyed with it, I could not get rid of the buffeting at speed.

When I picked up my F6B, it already had the Madstad installed, but that was what I was looking for. The Madstad has been impressive...quiet, no buffeting, and keeps the rain off at speed. In the Pacific Northwest, thats desirable. The loudest thing on my highway ride home was the noise from the 18 wheeler' tires on the road going the opposite way.

In town, I can drop the Madstad manually during a red light stop. Can't recommend it enough.

Good luck with your decision!

C
    Thanks Copper, I take it you are an RMP?
    Anyway, I'm not "coming from" an M109R, I'm keeping it and adding to my stable. And I've never tried blocking wind on my 109, I would never dream of putting a fairing, windshield, saddlebags, etc. on it. It's a bar hopper, so this F6B is my practical bike that I will use for trips, etc. Who knows, I may fall in love with the F6B enough to eventually decide I no longer need the 109, but for now I'm keeping both. The F6B should be arriving in Bend today. We got over a foot of snow over the past 36 hrs. and it's not clear if the dealer is going to bring the bike all the way to my house or just to their dealership here in town, in which case I'll have to figure out how to get it from there to my house (maybe 6 or 7 miles).

As far as the Madstad goes, I won't put it on my bike if I don't like the looks, and I really don't. I'm sure I'll find something that both looks good and blocks enough wind that I can hear the stereo at highway speeds.

I like the Taka that JMartin posted a link to. It looks a lot like the clear shield at an even better price. But when the price gets that low I have to start to wonder why it's so cheap and am I getting what I'm paying for? So I have the same question he has. Has anyone tried the TAKA shield? Seems it's new as there are no Amazon reviews yet.

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect we'll both be snowed in for a while, eh? Now I need to go do this with the white stuff!

F4 Customs Windshields Excellent Support

Quote Originally Posted by F4 Customs View Post
    Don here at F4 Customs. Our shield is different in these ways:
    Sheds Rain like you have Rain X on it and you can use Rain X if you like
    Is highly scratch resistant even when rubbed with steel wool so you clean it with paper towels and any glass cleaner
    It is made from High Optics Polycarbonate so it is Optically perfect and won't break like some other materials shields are made from
    4 year warranty against any cracking, crazing or de-lamination.
    They come in 4 heights, clear or tint and with our without a vent.
    You can check them out on our web site at www.f4customs.com or give us a call at 330-968-4644
    A Plug for Don at F4 Customs:

I ordered and installed the F4 11"clear vented last week.
    I am 5'7" and it is almost perfect. Before the stock windshield created so much turbulence on top of my helmet I thought I would go deaf when I am perched on the OEM seat.
    I also do NOT like looking through a windshield. Now I have no buffeting and it is much quieter (still some noise).
    When I install my Mustang seat and drop down another 1" into the cockpit I suspect all the noise will disappear.
    Great Product.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

Quote Originally Posted by tiltingf6b View Post
    A Plug for Don at F4 Customs:

I ordered and installed the F4 11"clear vented last week.
    I am 5'7" and it is almost perfect. Before the stock windshield created so much turbulence on top of my helmet I thought I would go deaf when I am perched on the OEM seat.
    I also do NOT like looking through a windshield. Now I have no buffeting and it is much quieter (still some noise).
    When I install my Mustang seat and drop down another 1" into the cockpit I suspect all the noise will disappear.
    Great Product.
    Thanks tiltingf6b, I like everything about the f4custom shield except for the price. It's hard to justify 2-3 times the price of the competition just for scratch resistance. And while that is an important consideration for me I can't justify the extra cost. Heck I'm looking at a ton of other stuff like the black 2 Brothers slip-ons, $800 (ouch!) and various other black bolt on stuff. Wing Things is gonna bankrupt me.

Bike Delivery

Perhaps the dealer would be good enough to store the bike for you through to the colder months, in a nice warm area where you can drop in to visit and install your accessories.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcityd View Post
    Perhaps the dealer would be good enough to store the bike for you through to the colder months, in a nice warm area where you can drop in to visit and install your accessories.....
    Boy, you Canucks sure are a funny bunch!

Surely you jest, right?

Height

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
    Hey Dave, how tall are you? I'm about 5'9" and am seriously considering the same shield as you. Thanks!
    Sorry, I just saw this. I'm about 5' 11", but sit fairly high in the saddle (only have a 30" inseam). I get some wind at the top of the helmet, but otherwise coverage is very good.

I've ridden in some pretty good rain, and as long as I'm moving I stay dry except for my feet. On the way home from Sturgis last August a few H-D riders were amazed at how dry I was. Of course, the Wing's excellent fairing design has lots to do with that.

It's only money

Thanks tiltingf6b, I like everything about the f4custom shield except for the price. It's hard to justify 2-3 times the price of the competition just for scratch resistance. And while that is an important consideration for me I can't justify the extra cost. Heck I'm looking at a ton of other stuff like the black 2 Brothers slip-ons, $800 (ouch!) and various other black bolt on stuff. Wing Things is gonna bankrupt me.
    Well accessories are well accessories - worth every penny - that is until you decide to sell your bike.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Sorry, I just saw this. I'm about 5' 11", but sit fairly high in the saddle (only have a 30" inseam). I get some wind at the top of the helmet, but otherwise coverage is very good.

I've ridden in some pretty good rain, and as long as I'm moving I stay dry except for my feet. On the way home from Sturgis last August a few H-D riders were amazed at how dry I was. Of course, the Wing's excellent fairing design has lots to do with that.
    Thanks for the response Dave. I also have a 30" inseam but am only 5'9" tall so your shield may be just the right height for me, as the top of my head should be a few inches lower than yours. I just hope I wouldn't be looking THROUGH the shield!

Another very happy Baggershield owner.

The quick change only takes a few minutes.
    And although I have never had any issue with the shields rubbing against each other while using the lower shield; a very simple safe guard is a $1.50 pack of those small, adhesive backed, black rubber dots at Ace. They are about 1/4" diameter.
    Just one placed behind the lower shield, where the Baggershield sticker is, totally eliminates any chance the two could rub together.

I'm a very happy Baggershield owner as is the wife when the shield is extended.

It still looks new after 3 plus years under normal care.

For the cost, performance/functionality and added look to the F-6B, great value IMO.
    Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Looking Over

Thanks for the response Dave. I also have a 30" inseam but am only 5'9" tall so your shield may be just the right height for me, as the top of my head should be a few inches lower than yours. I just hope I wouldn't be looking THROUGH the shield!
    I seriously doubt you'll be looking through it. I look way over it. But it still gives me plenty of protection. Here's a pic from another angle: