Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread - Page 29
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

I finally broke down and did this two days ago. Definitely an UPGRADE!!

I found that I also needed to trim slightly along the upper portion of the basket as well, as it was hitting some metal piece (shelter mount frame or something...dont know) Only way I could get the mounting holes to line up was to trim.

Is everybody using the original OEM screws....or something else?

Also....has anyone had troubles with the panel trim buzzing from bass vibrations? I don't have it all the time...but I am getting it often enough for it to be annoying. Am going to have to find something to kill that...if I can find the exact point.

.....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    I finally broke down and did this two days ago. Definitely an UPGRADE!!

I found that I also needed to trim slightly along the upper portion of the basket as well, as it was hitting some metal piece (shelter mount frame or something...dont know) Only way I could get the mounting holes to line up was to trim.

Is everybody using the original OEM screws....or something else?

Also....has anyone had troubles with the panel trim buzzing from bass vibrations? I don't have it all the time...but I am getting it often enough for it to be annoying. Am going to have to find something to kill that...if I can find the exact point.

.....sT

I re-used the OEM screws.

I had to trim these areas of the speaker ring; to allow the instrument/speaker console cover to fasten back down completely (area outlined in RED):

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I'm happy with the upgrade but man, the right speak was a pain to install. I bought tin snips to pretty much cut from the top screws to the bottom screws on both sides to get it in there. And even then, I feel like I got lucky making it work.

The speakers have a better overall quality sound and are louder without distortion. I'm a bass junkie and you do get some thump but don't expect this to be deep bass you'd get from a subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

.....I had to trim these areas of the speaker ring; to allow the instrument/speaker console cover to fasten back down completely (area outlined in RED):

Yes, I had to do all of that as well. Which didn't bother me much, as I had read about the need to do so hereabouts beforehand and was ready for it. However, having to trim an inch and a half along the the top edge (roughly at about 11o'clock on the speaker in the picture...where the shelter is nearest) caught me by surprise. Nobody mentioned needing that, but mine clearly did need it or the baskets never would have fully aligned with the screw holes. I'd have a picture of it except that area is so tight that there wasn't any way I could get a decent shot of it.

My biggest problem, though, is that I am getting a buzz caused by vibration (somewhere in the panel trim piece) whenever I play a track with a heavy bass line in it. (John Lee Hooker's 'Things Gonna Change' really sets it off). Haven't yet found the precise point that is buzzing yet.

I also used the OEM screws. On your pic, they appear to be silver/chrome in colour. Mine were black with machine threads...and never really tightened down. They hold well enough for the purpose but I'd feel better about it if they actually got somewhat tight. I foresee having vibration troubles with them at some point in the future as well.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    I'm happy with the upgrade but man, the right speak was a pain to install. I bought tin snips to pretty much cut from the top screws to the bottom screws on both sides to get it in there. And even then, I feel like I got lucky making it work.......
    Yes, I think a good set of metal snips or aviation snips is the way to go. Nominally, Dremel disks would actually be the best and leave the baskets looking prettiest...but the cuttings go everywhere and at least some will find their way into the voice coils due to the massive magnets on these. No matter how well you wrap them beforehand, somehow it's going to happen.

Either way, it's a cut-and-fit-and-cut-some-more proposition. Takes longer, but I'd rather spend the time doing it that way than deforming the baskets trying to bend the offending portions out of the way.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired

My biggest problem, though, is that I am getting a buzz caused by vibration (somewhere in the panel trim piece) whenever I play a track with a heavy bass line in it. (John Lee Hooker's 'Things Gonna Change' really sets it off). Haven't yet found the precise point that is buzzing yet.
    I bet you a dollar to a doughnut that the trim panel piece is still not fully seated. You have a slight gap somewhere that is reverberating with the deep base. Have you attempted to isolate it by pushing on different areas; while playing some deep bass music?

I also used the OEM screws. On your pic, they appear to be silver/chrome in colour. Mine were black with machine threads...and never really tightened down. They hold well enough for the purpose but I'd feel better about it if they actually got somewhat tight. I foresee having vibration troubles with them at some point in the future as well.

....sT
    I actually "borrowed" that pic from another member's post in this thread, and then did the editing for the areas I cut out. My screws on my speakers are black as well.

Yes, I think a good set of metal snips or aviation snips is the way to go. Nominally, Dremel disks would actually be the best and leave the baskets looking prettiest...but the cuttings go everywhere and at least some will find their way into the voice coils due to the massive magnets on these. No matter how well you wrap them beforehand, somehow it's going to happen.

Either way, it's a cut-and-fit-and-cut-some-more proposition. Takes longer, but I'd rather spend the time doing it that way than deforming the baskets trying to bend the offending portions out of the way.

....sT
    Someone had suggested that "nibblers" would be perfect for this type of trimming. Here's a source:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-gaug...ler-96661.html

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    I currently have the J&M's installed, just pulled the trigger on the GTO 638's......$44 shipped it was a no brainer with all the great feedback in this thread. Thanks for all the R&D guys!!!
    The force is strong in this one.....

I bet you a dollar to a doughnut that the trim panel piece is still not fully seated. You have a slight gap somewhere that is reverberating with the deep base........

Yes, I knew it was vibrational...but no, trim panel seating was the first thing that I checked.

I have gotten rid of the buzz, though.

There is a lip that runs between the clip sockets on the shelter...the outside rim of the panel seats against it. The GTO's (or at least my GTO's) came with several lengths of narrow adhesive padding. They don't really say in much detail what they expect you to do with it....I suspect it is for use should you mount with the metal mounting rings that also come in the box.

Although I have reason to feel that the problem was not there, I still decided to cut that padding to length and run it along the upper sections of the lip so that the panel seats against the padding instead of directly on the lip. This stops any vibration that might have been occurring between the panel and the lip AND keeps a certain minor amount of tension between the clips themselves and the sockets.

In addition, I found that the screws with which the metal speaker grilles are mounted to the panel (there are three mounting screws per grille) were all slightly loose. Not much...but when you put a screwdriver to them, each one turned about a half to three quarters of a turn before seating fully.

Between those two actions....my buzz has disappeared. (...at least for now)

.....Someone had suggested that "nibblers" would be perfect for this type of trimming.......

Actually, I should think that nibblers alone for that much removal of material would take forever. Nibblers would be great, however, for fine tuning your cuts after trimming the majority of it with snips. I couldn't find my yellow aviation snips (the colours do have meaning...they're not just decorated that way) and had to go buy a new set. While I was there, I tried to find a set of nibblers...but couldn't even find anyone that knew what I was talking about. So, I eventually gave up and just used the snips alone. Damned ugly job of it when I finished, but......who's going to see?

.....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired

Actually, I should think that nibblers alone for that much removal of material would take forever. Nibblers would be great, however, for fine tuning your cuts after trimming the majority of it with snips. I couldn't find my yellow aviation snips (the colours do have meaning...they're not just decorated that way) and had to go buy a new set. While I was there, I tried to find a set of nibblers...but couldn't even find anyone that knew what I was talking about. So, I eventually gave up and just used the snips alone. Damned ugly job of it when I finished, but......who's going to see?

.....sT
    Ya... I was not pleased with my end product as well (resultant from the cutting and trimming). Didn't look "too" bad but still....

My first speaker; I did the Dremel cutoff wheel thing. Completely masked up the speaker except for the areas that I was going to trim. But as I sort of expected, metal shaving were all over the speaker even with all the prep work I did. A couple blasts of compressed air took care of that though.

Second speaker... I did the tin snips. Even trying to be careful; the basket would still deform from the cutting pressure of the snips no matter how I tried to angle the approach with the snip's cutting surfaces. Still turned out "ok" and like you said... who's going to see?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I upgraded Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    OK, so -
    In my quest to find the perfect motorcycle speaker, I came across these.

I have spent a small fortune in my lifetime in loudspeakers and amps, with my favorite brand being Polk Audio, until today.

I wouldn't post this unless I was so impressed with both the sound quality with the OEM amp and how they perform with my aftermarket amp.

This speaker out performs oem speakers hands down with the oem amp and does an even better job with an aftermarket amp.

It's a 3 way speaker, meaning excellent base, mid range and tweeter highs.

It takes a meager 60 watts RMS to bring it alive.

I've never believed a 3 way loud speaker could sound better and louder, than a coaxial or 2 way speaker, but this speaker kicks, in all categories.

Another cool point is that it's a 6.5" speaker that requires no trimming to make fit. They take a bit of hand persuasion to bend the basket, but go in, in about 10 minutes.

They are also a 2 ohm speaker, which better matches our OEM amp resistance.

Did I say it rocks.. Again, I've always been a Polk fan for loud speakers, but this guy is definately a rival.

And finally, the price point of this quality speaker is ridiculous.. Amazon.

For those of you looking for the perfect oem up grade with no new amp, I highly recommend these.... after going around the block several times..

Wait..wait for it. I'm sure no sponsor offer these, but I had to share them with you all.
    Attachment 19232

Attachment 19233
    Attachment 19234

JBL Audio GTO Series 638

Jim
    After reading this entire thread and without too much contemplation, I ordered a set of speakers and set out to install them on Wednesday. I ended up not having to cut them at all, however, I kinda wish I had in hindsight. It took LOTS of "coaxing" to get them in and the left speaker has some malformed sheet metal on its left side, but they are mounted up, sound fantastic and ready for the trip to Russellville. Thanks everyone for the guidance.