Is the F6B a heater during the summer? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the F6B a heater during the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    Really?

Nice chassis....good on you.

I still think she should get her own though......lol.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Nice chassis....good on you.

I still think she should get her own though......lol.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Debbie prefers riding two-up... On all things two wheeled aND thats fine by me. And at 60, taking up riding big bikes probably isn't a wise choice even though she rides a mean pedal bike.

FWIW: I've licensed people to ride a motorcycle up to 83 years old!
    Y'all seem in fine shape, and as long as the reflexes and motor skills are good (pedal bike operation) should be no problem.

But, she seems happy, so brother, rock on!

Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    Yes, I know.... Zombie thread.

However, after being out on the F6B this past weekend and riding it for the first time with temps back in the upper 80's and 90's I will say that I was amazed by how much heat the radiators put off. There was plenty of cool air to be had, but I had to put my arm through a 12" curtain of hot bleed air coming out of the radiators to confirm that I wasn't riding in Death Valley. Wow, I had no idea! My 1998 CBR1100XX was water cooled and would get hot, but a t speed it was evacuated quite nicely through two huge vents on either side of the bike.
    I'm glad to see others share this observation. It's really my one complaint about the B. I'm coming from a 2014 Valkyrie, and that's the one thing that bike did better, in my opinion. I guess because it's so much more open and so much more air passes around the rider, you literally cannot feel heat on that bike. It's freaky, in a great way.

The B in the other hand is infinitely more comfortable for my frame, but I really don't like the envelope of heat that comes off the radiators and surrounds me, and I hate how much the baker's screw up the svelte look. Also, I haven't heard very many reports of the baker's being excellent at deflecting the engine heat, so I'm really not sure about the trade off.

Jason

When I am at moderate speed, I don't even feel the heat coming off of the radiators of the F6B, unless I stick my hand into the lower wind stream from the side fairings. Not sure why some of you are having an issue with the heat...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Unless I'm stopped AND the fans are on, I don't feel anything either.

Certainly nothing like an 80cu in EVO.
    Cheers,
    Steve

ditto x2
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Not sure why some of you are having an issue with the heat...
    You see...,,y'all say issue, I said I was amazed which to say I didn't think about how the heat was evacuated from the radiators.

This was made after our first ride in an urban environment on a social ride, not blasting down the interstate. And in an urban environment the GL1800 throws off a lot of heat. If that wasn't true there wouldn't be all of these hideous heat and air deflectors being sold in the aftermarket.

But it's not an issue, it is what it is. 1st and 2nd degree right thigh burns caused by the 110" engine in Harley is an issue.

My B gets warm. I added the vent kit below the side mirrors to push cool air toward me. They blow out the heat that comes in to the rider from the side radiators.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    When I am at moderate speed, I don't even feel the heat coming off of the radiators of the F6B, unless I stick my hand into the lower wind stream from the side fairings. Not sure why some of you are having an issue with the heat...

I'm not, either, willtill. There are several possible explanations:

1. Regional climate. I live in South Texas. It's hot as hell down here regularly, and if you're used to 70's and 80's riding, then we don't have a good baseline for comparison, because it's often hotter than that at midnight here.

2. Something's wrong with ours that's not with yours. Blocked air route in the cowls, malfunctioning fan, something along those lines. I doubt this is it, considering how new mine was when I got it, and the temp guage reads under the halfway mark when totally warm. But this is the reason I was glad to hear others reporting the same.

3. Windshield selection. This one may seem like an odd culprit. But different windshields will have very different aerodynamic effects on the rider area. I am running the OEM tall with vent, and I actually like it. But it does cause a rather pleasant bit of negative pressure at my back. This negative pressure could be pulling more of the radiator heat up and at me. I recently got a Madstad but haven't installed it, yet. It will be interesting to see what properties change after install.

4. Subjective experience. This seems to be many riders' immediate knee jerk reaction/answer to any criticisms regarding the B. It MUST be the rider. The rider is a sissy/communist, and should be on a V Twin or a Harley. Maybe. It's an understandable reaction, given how fantastic the machine is and the loyalty it inspires. And, these things are certainly all possible given that everyone has varying experience on different platforms, different expectations, and different tolerances. But it's also entirely possible that some riders maybe need to unpucker just a little so that those of us who think this platform is excellent, but maybe not perfect, can figure out ways to make it better for us.

Jason