Honda response to paint issue
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Honda response to paint issue

Honda response to paint issue

I'm not sure if this comes from Mother Honda or just my dealer, but they want me to bring my bike in this coming week, and they're replacing the side covers and saddlebag lids. I'll be curious to see if the finish is any more durable. Of course, this doesn't address the issue with the finish on the tail area or the forward area where the knees rest against the bike. Should be an interesting discussion.

I have had no information from my dealer of Mother Honda.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing with us

It would be very sad if Honda repaints you F6B with the same quality of paint The problem is that the clear coat is almost non-existent and paint too soft. Even if they do paint it over again with the same quality paint, the problem will persist.

The worse paint job was on my Suzuki M50, but they were all like that and to have it repainted again would not solve the problem.

The best paint job on a Honda that I owned was on the Honda RC51 and the older Goldwing 1500s

Paint Problem

I was at my Honda dealer today and started the complaint process regarding the paint quality. Just so happens that the Regional & District Service Reps were there. I made my case to them and showed them the scratches and swirls...Their 1st response was....it is a black bike and you know how black shows everything. I was then told that I should use a 3M product called "finess-it", re-wax and my problems should be solved.

I got both of their business cards and told them that I would give it a try. They told me to contact them if that did not work. Step 1 complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert40 View Post
    Their 1st response was....it is a black bike and you know how black shows everything.

I was then told that I should use a 3M product called "finess-it", re-wax and my problems should be solved.

That always makes me very upset when someone from Honda service makes the statement..."well you know it is black paint, and it shows everything".

Well, what about the RED bikes with the same problem ???? And...I will not allow them to get away with treating me like I am some idiot that doesn' t know my bike is a Black bike...and that black paint does show marks and swirls easily. I know that. Don't treat me like a fool as if you are telling me something that I don't already know. Because...it makes you look like a fool.

Also, sevceral of us have heard the same song and dance from Honda...buy the 3M brand Finesse, and use it. And...this 3M brand Finesse needs to be applied with a power buffer. So is Honda going to supply the 3M brand Finesse for us, and give each of us a Honda branded Power Buffer ? NO !
    Then their own service departments should be the ones to wash and polish our bikes...every one of them...and if it doesn't last the first time, we can bring it back in 3 or 4 times a year, whiloe under warranty, and get it polished out.

Honda should not be makiing US go buy this special 3M brand Finesse wax, and a power buffer. That is on them.

To tag on to what Miles said...

I have a hard time with the argument that we shouldn't expect a decent finish on a black bike. My previous bike was a '00 black Roadstar. When I sold it in April, the finish looked as good as the day I bought it. That's after many years and miles with road grime, tank bags, etc. I'll grant that the Roadie's tank and fenders were metal, but the plastic side covers fared just fine after 13 years of frequent removal and getting scraped with boots and rubbed with denim.

My F6B is red, and the finish is soft and fragile. I felt that my dealer blew me off about this until I sent a very pointed email and reminded them that in this hi-tech age, it was very easy to share my experience with a lot of people. I feel they're at least taking my complaints seriously now.

Be the squeaky wheel, and good luck to everyone in getting this resolved satisfactorily.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert40 View Post
    I was at my Honda dealer today and started the complaint process regarding the paint quality. Just so happens that the Regional & District Service Reps were there. I made my case to them and showed them the scratches and swirls...Their 1st response was....it is a black bike and you know how black shows everything. I was then told that I should use a 3M product called "finess-it", re-wax and my problems should be solved.

I got both of their business cards and told them that I would give it a try. They told me to contact them if that did not work. Step 1 complete!
    My bike got the 3M treatment, looks the same to me. I bet that most dealers are not experts in detailing, call me crazy

The 3M product is a Bandaid, period. No problems are solved by using this product. The Root issue is still there, they know whats going on they need to save face before its to late.

Letter I sent

Here is the letter I sent today.

To whom it may concern,
    I am the proud owner of a black 2013 F6BD Goldwing. I love the bike, it does everything very well. One HUGE COMPLAINT, the paint is TERRIBLE! Clear coat is almost non-existent and paint is soft. I only use micro-fiber towels on this bike and paint is all scratched! Yes I know about black paint and how it shows everything, point is, it’s scratched because of the poor quality paint and clear coat. I know another guy in my area that has a red one and it’s the same way, so don’t say it’s the black paint, it’s just very poor quality. I took the bike to a custom painter I know and he said the same thing, poor quality paint and almost no clear coat. I expect more from Honda. I still have a 1997Honda Valkyrie standard that is black and yellow and the paint still looks brand new, even the plastic side covers that are exposed to jeans and boots. I hope Honda does the right thing by us F6B owners, we spent our HARD earned money and quite a bit of it for this bike, we should at the very least get a paint job that’s better than Macco!

Quote Originally Posted by Westernbiker View Post
    Here is the letter I sent today.

To whom it may concern,
    I am the proud owner of a black 2013 F6BD Goldwing. I love the bike, it does everything very well. One HUGE COMPLAINT, the paint is TERRIBLE! Clear coat is almost non-existent and paint is soft. I only use micro-fiber towels on this bike and paint is all scratched! Yes I know about black paint and how it shows everything, point is, it’s scratched because of the poor quality paint and clear coat. I know another guy in my area that has a red one and it’s the same way, so don’t say it’s the black paint, it’s just very poor quality. I took the bike to a custom painter I know and he said the same thing, poor quality paint and almost no clear coat. I expect more from Honda. I still have a 1997Honda Valkyrie standard that is black and yellow and the paint still looks brand new, even the plastic side covers that are exposed to jeans and boots. I hope Honda does the right thing by us F6B owners, we spent our HARD earned money and quite a bit of it for this bike, we should at the very least get a paint job that’s better than Macco!
    Send you a PM