My understanding of Liquid Glass. Am I correct?

Thread: My understanding of Liquid Glass. Am I correct?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B Blues View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping some of you can help me here. I took my bike to a pal of mine who runs a Car Valeting shop, he took all of the scratches of my crappy paintwork and over the weekend applied three coats of Liquid Glass. When I went to pick the bike up yesterday I couldn't believe just how drop dead gorgeous the bike looked. However, after a quick 10 minute ride home and after getting off the bike, I noticed the old familiar scratches on the fuel tank. On checking on another part of the bodywork it was the same! We don't have any baking sun, or hot temps at the moment, or ever. Was it that it wasn't baked meant the the LG didn't take, or maybe the coating was too thinly applied? Anyone else has this problem?

Cheers Guys.
    Paul:

From one who has used LG for years! It will protect your paint better than any wax product! I will,however, not remove swirl marks. LG is a great product but it will not deliver "perfection". A rubber buffing pad and the likes of 3M Polishing Compound is great for the swirl marks.

bob109

Liquid glass

To give you newbies some idea how well LG works. I applied 4 coats 2 weeks before last years Rally. Please take note of the reflections of trees, clouds and sun in the saddlebag! 2nd pic!

Attachment 14179 Attachment 14180
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Black carnauba wax until perfection then seal with LG.
    works great on mine.
    2 bottles of LG later and paint is as it should have been.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

It's Not Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Paul:

From one who has used LG for years! It will protect your paint better than any wax product! I will,however, not remove swirl marks. LG is a great product but it will not deliver "perfection". A rubber buffing pad and the likes of 3M Polishing Compound is great for the swirl marks.

bob109
    Thanks Bob,

My pal did an excellent job removing all the marks on the paint before he applied the LG. If the LG is supposed to form a hard shell and protect the paint, then it hasn't done on mine. You can mark the paint with your finger, just as it was prior to the LG going on. It's not hard, but it should be.

Attachment 14187

This is a picture of my tank, the paint is soft and no sign of the LG hard shell.

Paul B.....
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Thanks Bob,

My pal did an excellent job removing all the marks on the paint before he applied the LG. If the LG is supposed to form a hard shell and protect the paint, then it hasn't done on mine. You can mark the paint with your finger, just as it was prior to the LG going on. It's not hard, but it should be.

Attachment 14187

This is a picture of my tank, the paint is soft and no sign of the LG hard shell.

Paul B.....
    One very important element of applying LG is to shake the hell out of the can before use. I have a habit of doing this several times and a few days before application. The ingredients of LG tend to separate and settle at the bottom of the can. Not sure why you haven't had good results. Maybe the use of a heat/sun lamp may provide better results. Having been in warm, sunny Florida for six months, I had several opportunities to sun bake the paint/LG. Don't get discouraged! Try, try, and try again

Bob

Cool If @ First..

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    One very important element of applying LG is to shake the hell out of the can before use. I have a habit of doing this several times and a few days before application. The ingredients of LG tend to separate and settle at the bottom of the can. Not sure why you haven't had good results. Maybe the use of a heat/sun lamp may provide better results. Having been in warm, sunny Florida for six months, I had several opportunities to sun bake the paint/LG. Don't get discouraged! Try, try, and try again

Bob
    Thanks again Bob,

Yes I know what you mean about the shaking your can! We are due some good weather soon so the first sign of it arriving I'll have my bike out and I'll be adding more to the paintwork, after I've shanked the hell out of it first. I hope you get some rain soon, or don't you want any?
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Thanks again Bob,

Yes I know what you mean about the shaking your can! We are due some good weather soon so the first sign of it arriving I'll have my bike out and I'll be adding more to the paintwork, after I've shanked the hell out of it first. I hope you get some rain soon, or don't you want any?
    Dry here in North Eastern Pa.! Warm and humid with a occasional afternoon shower which is fine with me

Even the HARDEST clearcoats available will still scratch... so I wouldn't expect miracles with any aftermarket paint sealer.

The main point with many of these products is to provide a sacrificial layer to absorb the scratches. Then, when you correct the paint with a buffer, you are buffing this sacrificial layer instead of eating layers off of your OEM paint.

Cool Cheers..

Thanks Guys, all advice gratefully received