The Saddle Sore 1000 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Saddle Sore 1000

Quote Originally Posted by bgd8rd View Post
    Hey, thanks for the tips. I like the LidPicker site. But I have a question. What the heck do I do with my $600 Shoei NeoTec helmet that is only 1 year old?
    Some of the guys are gonna cringe at this, but I fixed the "hotspot" in a helmet(Maybe my Neotec)by using a small ballpeen hammer and GENTLY tapping on the inside where the discomfort was. If you can't get to it with the head of the hammer, use a piece of broom handle or something similar. Place that on the spot you want to alter then tap on that. Notice I said GENTLY TAP, not wail away like you're driving a tent stake. Anyway, it worked like a charm for me and the helmet remains comfortable.

Hey, thanks for the tips. I like the LidPicker site. But I have a question. What the heck do I do with my $600 Shoei NeoTec helmet that is only 1 year old?
    Put it up for sale on here, Craigslist and ebay even if you get half, riding should be a pain free escape no matter how far you go.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    Some of the guys are gonna cringe at this, but I fixed the "hotspot" in a helmet(Maybe my Neotec)by using a small ballpeen hammer and GENTLY tapping on the inside where the discomfort was. If you can't get to it with the head of the hammer, use a piece of broom handle or something similar. Place that on the spot you want to alter then tap on that. Notice I said GENTLY TAP, not wail away like you're driving a tent stake. Anyway, it worked like a charm for me and the helmet remains comfortable.
    +1
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    +1
    +2

Lightly Mash a Liner

I've used the back of a tablespoon and a little elbow grease. Works.

I'm thinking of doing this adventure. Getting my bike right (F6B Goldwing). One thing though, my helmet starts to kill my head after a couple of hours. I have two helmets. I have a Shoei RF1200 Large. I wore it for a couple of years and it felt too small (Large) so one year ago I ordered the Shoei NeoTec Modular Helmet (XL). Awesome helmet in ever aspect. But after about an hour or so I'll start to get a hot spot on the top front portion of my head just above my forehead.

Obviously the bike has to be right and so does your equipment. Especially if you're going to do something like the SS-1000.

Any suggestions? Obviously, I can't keep going out and buying $400-$600 helmets just hoping one doesn't hurt my head after 2 hours of riding.

Thanks in advance!
    Man, I feel your pain. I went through the same thing a few years ago. Was out on a 2 week adventure and by the end of the day I'd have a painful scab on my forehead. I'd tried Shoei, Nolan, HJC and all gave me the hot spot. Finally figured out I needed a LO (long oval). The Arai Signet Q was the answer. I can wear it all day with no issues at all.

You can find Signet Q's below $400 right now as they are being replaced with the Signet X (still LO). I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by okf6b View Post
    Man, I feel your pain. I went through the same thing a few years ago. Was out on a 2 week adventure and by the end of the day I'd have a painful scab on my forehead. I'd tried Shoei, Nolan, HJC and all gave me the hot spot. Finally figured out I needed a LO (long oval). The Arai Signet Q was the answer. I can wear it all day with no issues at all.

You can find Signet Q's below $400 right now as they are being replaced with the Signet X (still LO). I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Were you getting the same hot spot as me? Just above the forehead? After a couple of hours I'm like damn, I've got to get this thing off for a while. I'll sometimes reach back with my hand and push the back of my helmet forward and hold it to relieve the pressure for a while. But I can't go down the road like that for hours on end....

Were you getting the same hot spot as me? Just above the forehead? After a couple of hours I'm like damn, I've got to get this thing off for a while. I'll sometimes reach back with my hand and push the back of my helmet forward and hold it to relieve the pressure for a while. But I can't go down the road like that for hours on end....
    Your symptom is exactly what happens when you have an oval head but wear a round helmet. I have a narrow oval head, I've found no other helmet to fit me perfectly except for Arai. I also have an Icon Alliance that is pretty good for for my oval head and it costs much, much less than an Arai. The thing about the Arai is that you get excellent ventilation in addition to perfect comfort.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Head shape and proper helmet size

Here is some info on the head shape vs helmet manufacture...each helmet manufacturer make a certain "shape", like Shoei makes "intermediate oval" shape (which I believe is the most common head shape). Anyway read the article it explains it all and the helmet shapes by manufacturer are also on this link. Click on any helmet and it explains the sizing by shape as well as size.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...et-fitment-101

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Put it up for sale on here, Craigslist and ebay even if you get half, riding should be a pain free escape no matter how far you go.
    Sell it on Ebay or Craigslist!