LED Signal & Tail light upgrades/smart triple play

Thread: LED Signal & Tail light upgrades/smart triple play

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Thanks for posting this info. Where did you locate the Smart Triple Play? Did it come with posi taps or did you have to buy them separately? I was leaning towards SoCalMotoGear's setup; but, I like the idea of 4 LEDS lit up all the time for the rear.

Was Custom Dynamics wire color codes accurate for the F6B?
    Nice write up.
    I actually bought mine on ebay from a custom dynamics authorized dealer but you can order directly from them with no problem also. I did get the posi-tap and posi-lock that I need to complete the install which makes it pretty easy for sure even if your not that good at electrical stuff.

The color codes are spot on, I actually connected mine to the harness when the tail light comes out of the bike so that if I wanted to change the settings I could by just removing the tail light instead of taking off the hand rails and seat. I also could have mounted it somewhere under the right side or left side cover but I was unsure if I could get to the necessary wires from there.

The only deviation from the instructions was to connect the blue and orange wires coming from the triple play to the wire that powers the 12V accessory socket when the bike is turned on. The triple play needs to see 12 volts for these 2 wires and because of the canbus system you can get that from the running lights like the instructions say.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by blueverclear View Post
    I actually bought mine on ebay from a custom dynamics authorized dealer but you can order directly from them with no problem also. I did get the posi-tap and posi-lock that I need to complete the install which makes it pretty easy for sure even if your not that good at electrical stuff.

The color codes are spot on, I actually connected mine to the harness when the tail light comes out of the bike so that if I wanted to change the settings I could by just removing the tail light instead of taking off the hand rails and seat. I also could have mounted it somewhere under the right side or left side cover but I was unsure if I could get to the necessary wires from there.

The only deviation from the instructions was to connect the blue and orange wires coming from the triple play to the wire that powers the 12V accessory socket when the bike is turned on. The triple play needs to see 12 volts for these 2 wires and because of the canbus system you can get that from the running lights like the instructions say.

Grant
    I just ordered these today. Did you use Velcro to secure the Triple Play behind the tail light assembly? Hopefully I'll do the install this weekend. I am confused by the deviation from the instructions you did. Would you please go into greater detail on how you connected the blue and orange wires to the power wire for the accessory socket. Why couldn't you simply use the tail light wire as that comes on when the bike is switched on? You last paragraph confuses me a bit. I get a bit nervous with wire cutters and a brand new bike, hope you understand. Thanx.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    I just ordered these today. Did you use Velcro to secure the Triple Play behind the tail light assembly? Hopefully I'll do the install this weekend. I am confused by the deviation from the instructions you did. Would you please go into greater detail on how you connected the blue and orange wires to the power wire for the accessory socket. Why couldn't you simply use the tail light wire as that comes on when the bike is switched on? You last paragraph confuses me a bit. I get a bit nervous with wire cutters and a brand new bike, hope you understand. Thanx.
    Sure thing, basically the blue and orange wires coming from the triple play basically power the unit. The triple play must receive 12 volts to power up correctly which is the reason why you run a wire to the positive wire of the 12V accessory to give them enough voltage. From what I understand the running lights are only around 9 volts because they run through the canbus system on the wing, which is not enough volts to power the triple play accurately.

Grant