This is one from the old archives of telling tales and kicking lies or something to that effect. Nonetheless, I remember back in the days when the Goldwing was a 1,000 cc engine. Talk was that it was designed to compete with the hot rod bikes of the day including the Kawasaki KZ 900 that was considered the fastest 1/4 mile bike at the time. It's true that Honda went through the development of a six cylinder before deciding on the four, and the debate also included do we make it a performance bike or touring.

I think the popularity of the opposed TWIN that BMW was famous for ever since WWII, had something to do with the decision to try an opposed engine. Honda wanted something smoother, so a twin was out. He had came out with the CB750 in 1969 and really didn't think too many people would be interested in a 1,000 cc bike due to the weight and size of the engine.

Because the torque and power of the 1,000 was so impressive, I know from personal experience, that a co-worker was so burned up by the fact he was beaten by a GL1000 on his KZ900, he was absolutely pissed off! I remember asking him the question twice - so you got beat in a drag race by what? Roddie was his name, I hope he got over it

When Craig Vetter started mounting his famous "Windjammer" on the frame, it was the perfect marriage, and the rest is history