More new Goldwing and F6B pics - Page 10
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: More new Goldwing and F6B pics

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    What is wrong with driving a Tesla? It is not like it is a Prius or something weak. Heck a Tesla is Corvette competition and equally good looking.
    More like a Corvette killer. Supercars vs an electric 4 door sedan.......

https://electrek.co/2017/09/21/tesla...est-drag-race/

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    If I could recover from the 2008 stock crash (thanks Barry) I could afford a Tesla too.
    Well, first: the crash started in 2007, well before the election. Second: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/y...stor.html?_r=0

Maybe you shouldn't have sold back in 07-08, you would have done well under Obama.

Until a charge can last for more than 200 miles and I can recharge the batteries at roadside stations readily available anywhere in less than 10 minutes, electric vehicles will remain the cute novelty they currently are. And that’s even with all the government subsidies.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    Haha! Heck no, I'm not a lawyer! But I live in a state (California) that is contaminated with ambulance chasers to such a degree that it increasingly perverts human interaction. Simple tort reform (such as no-fault insurance) could fix a lot of that, but the trial lawyers oppose the proposition every time it is offered.

As for my diatribe, it wasn't against motorcycle manufacturers, and certainly not against Honda. It was only targeted at American Honda (not a manufacturer, except perhaps for the Acura NSX), who imports these motorcycles and, as opposed to all other Honda importers worldwide, doesn't offer ABS on the F6B, not even as an option. That, in my opinion, is irresponsible.

My butt was saved by ABS (on a BMW) and yet, I purchased an F6B without it, after giving up on an import from Canada because of all the hassles. While the F6B has truly excellent stopping power, I never feel as safe without ABS and I wish I had it. I don't think anybody who hasn't actually experienced ABS kicking in to prevent a wheel lock on gravel or some other unexpected surface can truly appreciate what it does. Perhaps I don't have the riding skills that others have, but it's hard to imagine anyone being capable of reacting faster than ABS. So I keep my fingers crossed for the 2018 model year! End of diatribe!
    I feel ya!

I've had MANY a pucker factor moment when squeezing the brakes on a bike... and can still be around to tell about it.

Last time I locked up a bike was at Fort Jackson, South Carolina (back in '79)... on one of the range roads where I went into a curve too fast... hit the brakes and locked it up and the last thing I saw was my bike somersaulting through the tree's in front of me. I was right behind it and followed it down the embankment... luckily my friend was behind me... he called the cops and I got transported to the installation hospital with a torn Medial Collateral ligament and other superficial damages... was in a full leg cast for like 6-8 weeks and I broke the cast when I tried to ride my motorcycle again because I wanted to ride... unfortunately my casted leg touched the ground as I was executing a slow left turn and I broke the cast

So I taped it up with 100mph tape and played it off back at the dispensary when they wanted to know why my cast was broken.

We ride...because we must

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

ya don't know, what ya don't know!

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    Haha! Heck no, I'm not a lawyer! But I live in a state ........ doesn't offer ABS on the F6B, not even as an option. That, in my opinion, is irresponsible.

My butt was saved by ABS (on a BMW) and yet, I purchased an F6B without it, after giving up on an import from Canada because of all the hassles. While the F6B has truly excellent stopping power, I never feel as safe without ABS and I wish I had it. I don't think anybody who hasn't actually experienced ABS kicking in to prevent a wheel lock on gravel or some other unexpected surface can truly appreciate what it does. Perhaps I don't have the riding skills that others have, but it's hard to imagine anyone being capable of reacting faster than ABS. So I keep my fingers crossed for the 2018 model year! End of diatribe!

Well said .... and ya see thats the thing. IF we practice, we brake better. This really holds true if we are practicing on roads with very similar friction co-efficients. But the thing about ABS, is it takes away the stress and worry if you are one of those that is riding and making every effort to know about the road surface so you don't take a spill. That GETS OLD and very tiresome. We also fatigue , we perform better on some days that others etc. As we age our reflexes are not as fast. Street riding offers so many different beautiful views of the world. It is this very plethora of options that makes ABS such a nice tool. One can enjoy the ride. One knows full well should a panic stop be needed, he won't fall... or at least has a much less chance of falling.

Having ABS does not make you less of a MAN or less of a skilled rider. I used ABS for 20+ yrs. Come track time 99% could not beat my lap times ( non abs) . Why, cause I was on a controlled surface with controlled surroundings. I knew what to expect. It is impossible to know what to expect on the street. I learned that after 20+ years and over 200K. Then I learned that I did not know, what I thought I knew. The Next 20+ yrs and 225K miles, were more fun, had less accidents and I could ride with abandon and not have to constant calculate surface friction available.

One thing oft missed in the debate over ABS: it ONLY engages when you've already started to skid. ABS looks at the rotation of all the wheels relative to each other, and sometimes an accelerometer (motion sensor). Only when there is a significant difference (meaning one is locked up) or the wheels say you're stopped and the accelerometer says you're still moving quite well will ABS engage.

ABS does NOT stop your ability to "feather the line" of your own braking abilities!

But it DOES catch you when you go over the line, and something is now skidding when you didn't want it to. Get the wheel back under control and ABS turns off.

ABS is not a "tie you to the trapeze" kind of thing, it's the safety net underneath that catches you when you fall so you can climb back up and try again. If your tires don't skid - ABS will never come on. And yes, I know from personal experience - my bike has ABS. It's engaged a grand total of 2 times in the 40K miles I have on it, but both times were HIGHLY successful - coming around corners with unexpected road debris (sand) all over it, in a corner. Front tired chirped as ABS engaged but I never lost control. ABS allowed me to use every little bit of grip in my tire to save my ass - literally. I could enter a skid (meaning I used up all my available traction) and then immediately, in a matter of a few milliseconds, I was back to having some grip back and no longer skidding.

ABS only engages when you've already failed in your own braking efforts. If you are better than ABS, then no problem - it will never engage! But when you fail - it is there to try to catch you.

I'm certainly not anti ABS. I welcome it as an addition. However saying it is "Criminal" that it has been omitted in the past?

Without jinxing myself, let's just say I've been riding on the street since I was 16 and I will be 49 in December. I have never had or needed ABS. That's all I got to say about that.

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I love your comment

Perfect thinking. Those kids can make it on their own. Have them go to Mike Rowe's foundation website, and they can get a scholarship for training to become a plumber, mechanic, machinist, or other craft!

Quote Originally Posted by motozeke View Post
    Well, first: the crash started in 2007, well before the election. Second: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/y...stor.html?_r=0

Maybe you shouldn't have sold back in 07-08, you would have done well under Obama.
    Clinton said everybody should get a house, so lets give everybody a loan!

Quote Originally Posted by motozeke View Post

Actually, I didn't sell anything and my retirement investments are doing quite well.
    Guess I shouldn't quite as much....

This retirement gig doesn't suck.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce