Windshields
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windshields

Windshields

I just took delivery of my F6B. There are many threads on many various accessories. So much info to try and get through for a late comer. I've ordered the Ultimate King 3 piece set-up for my standard because I need the passenger backrest.

Now, I want a taller windshield as many do. From what I've read, every brand of windshield has it's following. I could go from one to another brand and probably be as happy as it's supporters.

Never having had a windshield before, my first concern is how tall should it be. Once I know that, I can better shop for a specific brand.

So, I'm gonna start here: http://www.customcruisers.com/Custom...-uk/d2073.html

To help others in their decision making, it would be cool if owners posted pics of themselves (side and front profile), upright on their bikes and behind their preferred glass. You could list windshield brand and size and then add a note to the rider's height.

For now, I'm still shopping.

Through or Over

Congrats on your new F6 SPGrenier!!

Good luck and welcome to the fold!

I'm in windshield phase as well!

"Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Congratulations! Now dust off that credit card.
    Ray

2013 F6B Deluxe with Hannigan Trike Kit (all repainted metallic silver)
    2007 EZGO Electric Golf Cart

Thanks guys. I luv the bike and get plenty of attention.

I'll let you guys know what I come up with on a windshield. The tall Honda would appear to be ok, but I have to confirm it's height. The product description says that it has a vent cutout which suggests that there's no vent attached. Then I didn't see a vent assembly on that online Honda site.

Windshield Vent

For anyone that has a windshield vent: Is it really of any value? Does it help with enough airflow to make it useful?

Good luck with the windshield. Ill be on my third one soon!.. Cant decide which is best. And yes get your credit card ready!

Quote Originally Posted by SPGrenier View Post
    For anyone that has a windshield vent: Is it really of any value? Does it help with enough airflow to make it useful?
    I used to often on both of my full Wings. Of course we are talking South Central Texas too.
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    To help others in their decision making, it would be cool if owners posted pics of themselves (side and front profile), upright on their bikes and behind their preferred glass. You could list windshield brand and size and then add a note to the rider's height.

For now, I'm still shopping.

Your request is quite valid, and I see how it could be beneficial to others, yet Torso length and seat height will skew the results,,,

Might be better to compile a list of dimensions from top edge of shield to a fixed point on the bike, such as the ignition key or glove box lid. In theory, a person can then sit on their own seat, run a tape upwards from the reference point and see how a particular shield lines up with their line of sight.

But wait,, There's more!! LOL!!!!

'Flipper'/ re-curve shields, WindBenders, and Madstads all manage airflow a bit different than a conventional shield, so there's more to it than just 'height relative to line of sight'.

WindBenders and Madstads have significant ranges of adjustment as well.If I was to tweak my 'Stad from one extreme to the other, I can probably change the elevation of the top edge by a good 6-8 inches, maybe more,,,

I have a windshield vent on both of my big scooters, which have tall windshields, and they work really great. On one of the bikes particularly, I would feel a pronounced back pressure, as the wind over the top of the windshield would go over my head but come around and pummel me in the back. Probably didn't do much for the gas mileage either with that kind of turbulence. I was really surprised at how noticeable it was. After I installed the vents, the turbulence went away completely. Night and day. I used vetter vents on one bike, and the other windshield is a tall Clearview and has a vent installed If you're going with a tall windshield, it's highly recommended.

Of course, it doesn't rain much here so I can't comment on how they work in the rain. The one disadvantage with a tall windshield is that you have to look through it in the rain, so you need something to help sheet the rain off of the screen or risk the obscured frontal view. If you're looking over the windshield you at least have the option of wiping the rain off of your faceshield on your helmet as you go.
    2013 Honda F6B custom orange
    2009 Kawasaki Versys aka "Dr Doom"
    2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Stormtrooper"
    2003 Suzuki Burgman 400 "Yoda"

Would not own a shield w/o the vent...

as far as height...sit on your bike and have someone put a ruler on the dash and see what measurement you desire, see thru, see over or see way over and then go from there... you could do this with cardboard as well ???

I,me...do not like looking thru a shield ...there is no positive effect.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com