Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
KTM = Keep Throwing Money...

I'm giving the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure a good look... Luv the B, however I really want something in the stable for all terrain touring. I like having options
I fully agree that KTM is expensive. But as a rider of "real" Dual-sport events, at least in the mid-west, most of the event organizers tell you on the entry form, if you have a "large" cc displacement bike, then leave it at home for the event. Most large dual-sport very seldom see much off road riding, other than gravel roads or packed dirt. You would never make the courses in the mid-west with those bigger bikes. Don't get me wrong, I too like those big dual-sports, just really consider where you will spend most of your riding. 90% of the dual-sports events I have entered, well, the bikes have all been modified, and are no longer "street legal", as all have full off road knobby tires, modified exhaust, mirrors removed, etc. If you are planning on off road completion or mostly street riding, with occasional off road trips, then that should be a deciding factor in your purchase. I usually crash at least a half dozen times in our erea events. Safety gear keeps me going. Picking up a 370-450 lb cycle in a mud hole or at the bottom of a ravine gets tuff. I know those bigger bikes weigh at least another 100 lbs.