There is a foot shifter accessory for the DCT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There is a foot shifter accessory for the DCT

There is a foot shifter accessory for the DCT

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

If I choose the DCT option I don't think I wouldn't want this, and for $600 I doubt they'll sell many. To me part of the appeal of that trans is not needing the foot control.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    If I choose the DCT option I don't think I wouldn't want this, and for $600 I doubt they'll sell many. To me part of the appeal of that trans is not needing the foot control.
    Well you wouldn't have to shift at all in auto, but I could see the benefits of having the traditional shift control where out brains are already trained for if you wanted to manually shift.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

A quick shifter type button near the left grip would be nice.

So much info out there right now I may have missed it. Is there a manual mode with the DCT and how are the gears selected if so?

DCT Info

My second bike is an Africa Twin with DCT transmission. I haven't found anyone who doesn't adapt quickly to the DCT. Even in full auto mode, you can manually shift at any time using paddle shifters on the left hand grip. The Up shift is done with a small lever using the index finger and the down shift is done with a small lever using the thumb. Took me about 30 minutes to get used to it. One strange thing I haven't seen mentioned yet in the GW DCT is that my Africa Twin has a parking brake. It is a lever where the clutch lever usually is, although it is positioned further away from the left hand grip so that you don't accidentally pull it thinking you need a clutch (happens for the first day only). The park brake is needed when you park on an incline, as it is not possible to leave the bike in gear as it is effectively in Neutral when stopped.

I love the DCT transmission on my Africa Twin. I usually use it in Auto mode (the AT has 4 different auto modes - from take to aggressive - shift points up and down become more aggressive as you change modes). There is also a full manual mode where you can change gears using the paddle shifters and the only time the bike will intervene is if you would otherwise damage the engine (won't let you over rev - and it also changes down to 1st if you come to a stop). The gear shifts with the DCT are fast and smooth, and the computers ability to put you in the correct gear in uncanny. The bike has a "pitch" sensor, so it knows to down shift when you are going down hills to give you good engine braking.

For those of you out there that may be "purists" and think you will always want to have full control and change gears yourself, there is always manual mode that gives you full control, just with much easier, faster, and smoother gear changes.

If a get a new bike, it will definitely have a DCT transmission.

I have a CTX700 DCT and an 02 Wing. I have no problem bouncing back and forth. Unless you habitually power shift, the lack of a clutch lever reminds your foot it doesn't need to do anything. I promise you that you'll reach for that nonexistent clutch lever more than once if you get one.
    15 F6B Purple with purple monster flakes.
    13 CTX 700 DCT Red
    02 GL1800 Red

It does have the shift buttons on the left grip at the bottom. Thumb down and index finger up. The only problem is the occasional downshift when you meant to honk. On the CTX horn button is above the turn signal.
    15 F6B Purple with purple monster flakes.
    13 CTX 700 DCT Red
    02 GL1800 Red

Hell No! $599.00 waste,

You get a foot shifter included in the cost of the manual transmission, just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas F6B View Post
    Hell No! $599.00 waste,
    Agree....Who the hell would want a foot shifter with the DCT transmission...Only those with $600 to burn I suppose...Regards