Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
I had an M109...it's just a brute. Can be had cheap, handles great too, but no extra's, looks shitty with bags (imo), and can be tough on long rides. Guess you made up your mind with the Vstar....seems to have what you want.
The problem (a good "problem" to have) with second bikes is having enough time to ride two. I barely have enough time for the F6B, yet alone the Harley Ultra Limited. I used to have a KLR, and it was perhaps the most fun bike I've ever owned. I then went on to a BMW GS1200, but never ended up dual sporting it like I thought I would, so I ended up eventually trading it. Having two big cruisers is perhaps not the perfect duo, but the wife likes the Harley and we ride it with some friends that have them, so for our needs we get decent utility from it.

I think if I didn't have two now, a KLR would make the most sense for a second bike. They are fun, pretty street worthy (making it more diverse than some dual sports), can go on the dirt, you can find a nice used one for $3,000.00 (and less sometimes), easy to work on, and just fun to ride. That way, if you don't end up riding as much in the dirt as you think you will, you still have a second bike that does pretty well on the pavement and can do everything well, as opposed to something that is more single function. Also, if you're in for $3,000 or less, you don't worry about the bike just sitting there if you don't get the opportunity to ride it as much as you think. Bikes are like boats-you have to know what you want to do with it to select the correct one.