Drilling through fairing cubby?

Thread: Drilling through fairing cubby?

Drilling through fairing cubby?

I installed a Ram mount today, with an extender for the 3.5 mm audio cable and 2' USB cable to charge my iPhone while in use in the mount. The excess cord length is annoying me.

I would like to drill though the fairing pocket and route the cords in some way, but if it possible to avoid this, I would be in favor of it.

I will take any suggestions since I know this is a common set up.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

There's already a hole with a rubber grommet for the AUX cable in the pocket, you could remove the 4 pins that hold the pocket in, push the AUX plug out of the hole, hook your audio extender to the AUX plug and wrap up the excess under the cubby and run your usb plug out the existing hole to your handlebars and the other end to USB power in cubby(plugged into 12V receptacle).
    You'd have to remove the pocket but it's not that hard. You'll also need to remove the trim strip that covers the outside edge of the cubby.

Soooooo you have your phone on the right handle bar and charging cable charging inside the cubby? The best way to do this is to route the cable down the handle bar underneath in the channel provided inside the plastic housing. Cross the bike under where the key goes and then under the plastic to the cubby . You can actually pull up on the plastic and push the cable towards the cubby and drill a hole in the side of the cubby so the cable can get to the charging port.

I do prefer a pic and or a link on stuff like this. This is the best pic I have. If you have a IPhone, call me Sunday 10AM EST and we can face time and I can show how I did it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Here is a video link on how to remove the cubby as MisterB mentioned.

https://youtu.be/COuTOlXT0tU

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Soooooo you have your phone on the right handle bar and charging cable charging inside the cubby? The best way to do this is to route the cable down the handle bar underneath in the channel provided inside the plastic housing. Cross the bike under where the key goes and then under the plastic to the cubby . You can actually pull up on the plastic and push the cable towards the cubby and drill a hole in the side of the cubby so the cable can get to the charging port.

I do prefer a pic and or a link on stuff like this. This is the best pic I have. If you have a IPhone, call me Sunday 10AM EST and we can face time and I can show how I did it.
    Steve, thanks once again for your help. I mounted my Ram mount on the left side, figuring my left hand is more often going to be free to switch songs, stations, etc. than my right. I was thinking of cutting the tip of the left finger out of one pair of riding gloves so I can use the touchscreen with gloves on...am I nuts?

Thanks for the offer to FaceTime - obviously I didn't get the message in time! I am going to try what MisterB suggested to see if that gets me where I need to be.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Slightly Off-Topic

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Steve, thanks once again for your help. I mounted my Ram mount on the left side, figuring my left hand is more often going to be free to switch songs, stations, etc. than my right. I was thinking of cutting the tip of the left finger out of one pair of riding gloves so I can use the touchscreen with gloves on...am I nuts?

Thanks for the offer to FaceTime - obviously I didn't get the message in time! I am going to try what MisterB suggested to see if that gets me where I need to be.
    Gents,

Thanks for these tips...very handy?

I bought a RAM mount for the reservoir cover and it doesn't fit. Can you affirm you used the RAM mounts to mount to the reservoir mounting bolts (just ordered that one)?

that video is great. looks very simple.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Also suggest getting a bluetooth gateway... usb dongle that is just a 3.5mm jack and a 2 outlet usb charger. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoot...audio+receiver

Then you only have to plug in charging cable (and you will be ready for iphone 7 rumored to have no headphone jack).

For my galaxy note 5 I am using wireless qi charger and bluetooth dongle.