Best/Worst of the F6B - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst of the F6B

Gentlemen, you both can be mad at me, if that is what you choose to do, but I am simply pointing out that there is no need or reason to scrape the pegs, or the belly pan, or the exhaust shields on this bike, if everything is set up correctly, and if the rider enters and exits the corners/curves correctly. It is very easy to call me names, because I speak frankly, and forthrightly. But the issue at hand is not my public persona, it is that someone is scratching the pegs and belly pan and exhaust shields on a consistent basis.

If a rider only scrapes their pegs once in awhile, that is acceptable. A lot of riders get a little too much lean angle, or the wrong line into or out of a corner every once in a while. That is not a problem.

The problem is...and was originally stated as...that bigdew was killing his pegs and belly pan. And you just stated that you are doing this consistently. So, that takes the reply by the SpeedyWho out of the equation, because you only scrape your pegs intermittently. The bigdew does it consistently.

I would love to look at your bike and figure out HOW you are scraping your belly pan, and exhaust shields, as I have never known anyone to scrape those.

But, let's take "me" out of this picture, because obviously you two do not want to take my word for this, or anything. I would love to know how many other riders that have had a belly pan on a GL-1800 Wing, have ever scraped their belly pan, or the exhaust shields.

Just because you do not like my answers, or comments...does not mean I am wrong, or that you are riding the bike correctly. That is why the MSF offers an ERC class. Evem I recently took a 3 wheeled sidecar/trike classs, because in our state you have to take this class to get the endorsement to ride a sidecar rig or trike. I aced the class, was asked by the lead instructor if I wanted to be an instructor for them, and then he realized that I had been, for the ERC classes, for more than 20 years. Duh !

Pro/Cons

Miles I am not mad at anyone. I could care less what is said back and forth. I am ERC qualified and have to be every 3 years being in the Army so I do get MSF trained on proper techniques of riding on a constant basis. Trust me I don't want to scrape pegs, belly pans, or exhaust shields. It all cost money to fix and replace. Im just trying to figure out the best set-up for this bike since I am grinding a lot compared to everything else I have owned. I have rarely scrapped pegs in my riding experience before but with this F6B im tearing stuff up. That is why its my con.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's just a matter of the faster you go through a curve the more the bike leans and the more likely you will scrape something no matter what line you take. I ran my bike from Boise to Loman at a pretty fast pace and never scraped anything. I was satisfied with the clearance, making a mental note to myself that if I start scraping stuff I'm going too fast.

As far as scraping the belly pan, I'm going to have to look at my bike at home and get a straight edge out because I would guess it's almost impossible to do and even if you did, scraping something that close to the vertical center line of the bike is disaster waiting to happen because of losing the gripping down pressure on the tire.

I am thinking that I 'might" have an answer to this phenomenon, but I will start a new thread, as we have veered off track on this thread.

Trust me, the new thread will be worth reading, as it concerns something my dealer and I discovered today.

Getting back on track

Best: Having a great touring/sport bike.
    The silky smooth power and torque.
    Having a bike that's in it's own class.
    Looks.
    City traffic friendly.
    The riding addiction from being so fun to ride.

Worst: The paint.
    Cold hesitation.

I aint mad at anybody, Miles post caught me at the wrong time and I didn't agree with him, that being said. This site is a great for guys like me would know little about the Goldwing world. Not to long ago I was that punk Kid standing on the pegs of my CBR riding wheelies down the highway. I'm learning a lot about this area of the motorcycle world, I'm interested in the IBA rides. I drove truck for a while and I love road trips so IBA is in my radar here. Anyway no need to call people out or anything, Miles I dig your stlye, no hard feelings

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    I aint mad at anybody, no hard feelings

…………………………………………..

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's just a matter of the faster you go through a curve the more the bike leans and the more likely you will scrape something no matter what line you take. I ran my bike from Boise to Loman at a pretty fast pace and never scraped anything. I was satisfied with the clearance, making a mental note to myself that if I start scraping stuff I'm going too fast.

As far as scraping the belly pan, I'm going to have to look at my bike at home and get a straight edge out because I would guess it's almost impossible to do and even if you did, scraping something that close to the vertical center line of the bike is disaster waiting to happen because of losing the gripping down pressure on the tire.
    Ok, I just noticed my belly pan was scrapped up on the bottom so I stand corrected...you can scrape the belly pan.

When the perfect motorcycle that satisfies all riders is produced, it will not be available in America. Monopolies are illegal.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdew View Post
    Miles- Im not running over anything. Its just when cornering. Almost every other corner I take im scraping pegs.
    What is the setting of your rear suspension? Turn it up. If your still scraping after that, go your dealer.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]