GPS Recommendations? Garmin Zumo 395LM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Recommendations? Garmin Zumo 395LM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I guess you can do about anything with enough money if you want. The question is why would yo want to? First the opening on the F6B is much smaller, than the GPS opening on the GW and It would then occupy the information display that is currently in that spot so a complete dash change over I would guess is needed. Not to mention the wiring requirements. But the biggest thing is Garmin handlebar mount GPSs are better units than any I know of that come factory mounted, HD included. Also can be upgraded or replaced with ease.

Google Maps works great! Why get a GPS?
    2016 F6B Matte Grey
    2016 XDiavel (Sadly...gone)
    2014 M109r (FHD Classic) (Sadly...gone)
    2014 VRSCF (Gone)
    2006 VTX 1300C (Gone)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

Quote Originally Posted by Switchmonkey View Post
    Google Maps works great! Why get a GPS?

For those of us not smart enough (or foolish depending on how you look at it) to have a smart phone.

I am very happy with my 660 Zumo.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

A good GPS is as far ahead of a smart phone that a smart phone is ahead of a paper map. All will work to keep you from getting lost and find routes. I use Micro Soft Streets and Maps together with Google Earth on my home computer to plan and route my trip turn by turn. Not what a program suggest as curvy roads but what I choose from looking at Google Earth and every road/turn. Then I rebuild/transfer to Base Camp and download it into my Zumo. E-mailing it or sharing in person via blue tooth to additional riders going on the trip is possible. Additionally if you are shown or find a road you like it is easily saved and can be incorporated into a future trip. The amount of information provided with ease can not be duplicated on the small screen of a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    A good GPS is as far ahead of a smart phone that a smart phone is ahead of a paper map. All will work to keep you from getting lost and find routes. I use Micro Soft Streets and Maps together with Google Earth on my home computer to plan and route my trip turn by turn. Not what a program suggest as curvy roads but what I choose from looking at Google Earth and every road/turn. Then I rebuild/transfer to Base Camp and download it into my Zumo. E-mailing it or sharing in person via blue tooth to additional riders going on the trip is possible. Additionally if you are shown or find a road you like it is easily saved and can be incorporated into a future trip. The amount of information provided with ease can not be duplicated on the small screen of a phone.
    Pretty much what I do as well.
    Also I find that type of planning sets the routes into MY memory so if I was to loose the use of my electronic devices to an unforeseen issue I will remember much of the route plan and be able to continue.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

I found several rebuilt tom toms (several other brands) on ebay for $69.99. Mine has blue tooth, easy to set up, nice screen, gets me from point A to point B, works great. I have it on a RAM locking mount. If it rains, I take it off or put a zip lock bag & a HD rubber band or 2 to hold the bag. If it gets stolen, wet, dropped or whatever, I'm out $69.99, not 8 or 10x that.
    I have 4 gps, counting the 2 OEM in my car & truck. Looks to like they all use the same software. None of them can find the 4 lane from FL. turnpike to 441 -Mt Dora. They all tell me to "turn around when possible" & the screen looks like I'm in the middle of a pasture. Zipping along in a pasture @ 70+ mph, yea right.
    Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Garmin Zumo 660LM

I can't give any input yet on the Garmin Zumo 660LM, but I just ordered one from Amazon for $309. I've grown tired of struggling with car GPS units that never seem to stay connected to power as I ride. The cable going into the car GPS units always comes loose on me, or the 12v cig adapters lose contact. I've been using smart phones the last 1-2 years, but I have the same issue, compounded when I lose signal in remote areas. Of course, then there is the rain factor. I take a couple of longer trips each year where 10-12 hours per day on the bike are typical and every time I regret that I didn't purchase a true motorcycle GPS.
    I've put off taking the leap for too many years, so I finally pulled the trigger. Although the 660LM is a discontinued unit, there are still new units, complete with mc mounts, wiring and hardware, available with standard factory warranties. Since they are not the latest and greatest model, they come with a more palatable price of around $300. It has the features I want and need. The only feature it doesn't have that I would have liked is the "curvy road" routing option. Outside of that, I think I'll be happy with it. It fits my needs and my means.

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    For those of us not smart enough (or foolish depending on how you look at it) to have a smart phone.

I am very happy with my 660 Zumo.
    I have a 660 and moved it from 3 different bikes in succession. It has done a great job and works pretty good in remote areas also.

Which GPS units have the "curvy roads" options? I'm interested in a good GPS unit but I want to find curvy roads and avoid city centers/traffic lights.
    Riding the upward spiral.

The Garmin's seem to have been price fixed forever, but lately that has changed.
    I have the 595LM, it has all of the great features for motorcycle traveling.
    $899.95 was way out of my price range, but after a few google searches I found it for $550.00 w/free shipping.

Whatever you decide, do your homework first, there's some good deals if you look around.