Who's BUYING the new 2018 Goldwing? - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who's BUYING the new 2018 Goldwing?

I'm not usually a brown person, but I am liking the Pearl Stallion Brown pics I have seen.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Harley Davidson has a similar color and they call it "RootBeer"
    As long as it is A&W, life is great.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    As long as it is A&W, life is great.
    Barq's is mo bettah...

I do agree though... that brown GW reminds me of Root Beer

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I'm not usually a brown person, but I am liking the Pearl Stallion Brown pics I have seen.
    +1

Edit - actually, I’ve been a brown person all my life. 🤣
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    +1

Edit - actually, I’ve been a brown person all my life. 🤣
    Well if you look at my two motorcycles, I am a really Red person.

Let me rephrase for "political correctness "
    I am not usually a fan of brown color paint schemes on motorcycles or cars. However the pictures I have seen of the Pearl Stallion Brown look really good and right now I think that is my favorite color of the new Gold Wings. Would like to see that color offered in the Tour trim level.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Putting a $500 deposit

I really like my F6B, but a smaller, lighter, will suite this old man better.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

Call me a chicken.....

I have a few serious concerns regarding this newly created engine. It is NOT the same engine that has proven itself to reach 500,000 miles.

My Concerns ...

These NEW Aluminum cylinder sleeves (Excess Heat and friction are not ideal for aluminum including aircraft grade aluminum) Is this Hondas way to shorten the life of a Goldwing to just 125,000 miles so that they can be rebuilt with new sleeves or maybe sell more Goldwings?

The Cylinders are now about a 1/2 inch closer to each other, engine is now just over 1inch shorter, less metal to disperse the heat, potentially increasing the cylinder head temps? Potentially compromising the aluminum even more so? I know that there is a thermostat to keep the radiator fluid circulating, but will they be running more often now? The radiators are also smaller. Are the 90lbs that were shaved off enough to reduce engine heat?

Throtle by wire .... is it jerky or smooth? Two of my 4 wheel vehicles have this ... the German vehicle performs flawlessly like if it was cabled, the Japanese vehicle is Jerky and ultra sensitive, after 5 years I still don't care for the system.

Newly designed transmission with 6 manual or 7 DCT gears ... will it last or disintegrate? First and Second year owners will be the R&D for Honda.

Exposed exhaust pipes coming off the engine (No longer has the heat shields, maybe because of the aluminum sleeves, they need to disperse engine heat away from the engine more so? did the old heat shields trap heat?)... Although they are double walled pipes will there be extra heat on your feet during hot summer days?

Honda has ALREADY created "optional" wind deflectors for this new Goldwing .... do they know something that we don't? I have never needed wind deflectors for my older Wing.

All of the electronics ... There are ALWAYS some glitches in the beginning and I for one cannot stand the fact that you must go to a dealer for continuous program upgrades as the years pass on by. I used to have a BMW 540I with a newly designed instrument cluster for that year, It kept failing in certain areas where there would be blank vertical lines on the read out, It was replaced under warranty twice, however if you were out of warranty, it was a $2,000 replacement cost PLUS Labor.

I know that there is a 3 year warranty with the option to add a 5 year extension ..... However if I wanted to sit around at a dealerships service waiting room several times during the year, I would be looking at another motorcycle brand where they have huge showrooms with clothing and accessories where I could waste 2-3 hours.

I have great faith in Honda's engineering, they have always been outstanding, how ever the DCT is currently on a recall with 2 other Honda products and their recent paint issues has caused me to just step back wait this one out for a year or two.

just my 2 cents

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

I have a few serious concerns regarding this newly created engine. It is NOT the same engine that has proven itself to reach 500,000 miles.

My Concerns ...

These NEW Aluminum cylinder sleeves (Excess Heat and friction are not ideal for aluminum including aircraft grade aluminum) Is this Hondas way to shorten the life of a Goldwing to just 125,000 miles so that they can be rebuilt with new sleeves or maybe sell more Goldwings?

I think Honda is going after a different market with the choices they have made. How many sport riders put 6 figures on the odometer before they are onto their next scoot?

I am interested in seeing it in person, but have no desire to be part of their test market. I should be good for another 4 or 5 years.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    I think Honda is going after a different market with the choices they have made. How many sport riders put 6 figures on the odometer before they are onto their next scoot?

I am interested in seeing it in person, but have no desire to be part of their test market. I should be good for another 4 or 5 years.
    I agree with you. However the TOP Speed of 111mph will turn away many sport riders.

To reduce weight, they installed a Lithium battery.
    Replacement cost is $300-$400 versus $80-$100 for a lead acid battery

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

I agree with you. However the TOP Speed of 111mph will turn away many sport riders.

To reduce weight, they installed a Lithium battery.
    Replacement cost is $300-$400 versus $80-$100 for a lead acid battery
    Don't Lithium batteries have issues in cold weather ???