Introduction Threads

Thread: Introduction Threads

Introduction Threads

Hello,
    Didn't see an introduction thread. So Howdy! Just traded a Road Glide for an F6B. When I rode away from the Harley I had about 5 minutes of nostalgic buyers remorse for the old rattle popping noise banging vibrating leg roaster. Over it now. Love this new space sled
    Anyhow,. Anyone have an opinion on the difference between a Fire Creek Wind Bender and a Madstad. I have a Madstad that came off the Harley for sale btw. The new space sled needs a wind shield. I liked the Stad but will say it wasn't nothing compared to a factory BMW K bike or a Suzuki Burgman Executive .
    All opinions are welcome. And I look forward to becoming a fixture around here.

PS I hope this place is as cerebral as the K1200LT forum and slightly more sensient than the Road Glide Forum

Glad to have you here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

First off, you have to take windshield advice with a grain of salt. I say that because the effects are different for different riders based on their height, their seat style, their body position and wind tolerance.

Lots of people love the Madstad, but it did not work for me. I am 5’4” and ride on a Ultimate Seat midrider. I had the 11” Madstad which was a good size for my height. I could not find a height and angle configuration that worked for me. Adjusting the height and angle was very easy.

I then purchased the Windbender. I found that the recurve did the trick and pushed the wind over me in a way the Madstad never did. The windbender height is adjustable but no where as easily done or as graceful as the Madstad. To reduce the wind even further, I added the Rake kit which allowed me to angle the shield. The company owner said that it would eliminate all remaining wind. I found that using it did eliminate some additional wind, no where near all, but its such a pain to adjust that I don’t bother. The Rake kit is insanely expensive at $180. In hindsight, I should have skipped the rake kit.

I think having the Windbender recurve with the Madstad bracket might be perfect. I hesitate to do it because I already have the Windbender, but if I had to do it over again, I would buy a Madstad bracket and an undrilled Windbender shield and drill/mount it myself.
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Great reply! It's hard to beat experience. Those recurve Clear Views are looking better and better as I'm hearing the Madstad bases for the F bike got some gaps.

I took the Harley 13.5 " Madstad off its base with the brackets still mounted to the shield and held it up to the stubby Honda window. You could drill ithe stubby shield and it would fit. Only problem is that there is about zero clearance between the inside bottom of the shield and the vinyl for a pretty long tangent. It would be hard to get a nylock nut on the bottom bolts. You could also make some long bracket adapters that would bolt up higher and extend past the top of the stubby shield.
    I did notice the stubby shield is thinner than the Madstad shield and base. Not sure if it could take the torque. But then I suppose I could cover it with packing tape

Quote Originally Posted by NAHD View Post
    Great reply! It's hard to beat experience. Those recurve Clear Views are looking better and better as I'm hearing the Madstad bases for the F bike got some gaps.
    Welcome to the forum!

As far as gaps with the Madstad's bases... 7/16" weatherstripping easily remedies that. Even Clear View sends out weatherstripping tape for their Windshields.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

to the board.... JMHO go back to the beginning of this board and read some posts. Great info!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

NAHD,

I have a windbender and i like it a lot. I also had one on a previous Goldwing. The re-curved upper edge (lamineer lip) does a great job of lifting the wind blast above my head. I ride with the shield in the next to lowest setting and very seldom adjust it even in the rain.

Good luck and enjoy your F6B.

My only complaint with the Clearview was I didn't think the instructions were clear about where to put the tape properly. After install, my plastic dash panel rubbed a spot in each bottom corner where it touched the windshield. It rubbed through the black coating. Other than that, I'll probably buy another for my new B. The vent and recurve are must haves. Welcome to the board!
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN