Speaker upgrade worthwhile?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker upgrade worthwhile?

Speaker upgrade worthwhile?

Just bought a new 2013 F6B last Saturday. I am running my iPhone GPS into a bluetooth helmet speaker. I have a usb thumb drive hooked up and running the music through the onboard amp and speakers. Even though the music sounds better from my iPhone and helmet speaker, I prefer to have the music through the bike so I can easily switch it off or lower the volume while keeping my iPhone GPS running.

I am not impressed with the sound quality of the onboard speakers. This is my first bike with speakers so I don't know it is the wind thats causing a problem or the speaker quality is poor. Is it worthwhile to upgrade the speakers? If so, to what? I wear a full-face helmet, so the helmet is reducing the sound as well.

I have had some sort of speakers on every bike I have had and these are some pretty good speakers. I run it on 15 and use my phone for the music via Bluetooth to the bike and haven't had a bit of a problem hearing it even at interstate speed. I do think I will get the j&m speakers when they are available to see if that brings it up a notch. I may see about adding on rear speakers when I can find a plug and play set
    Matt Russell
    First Officer
    SCRC Chapter 189
    Orangeburg SC

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    Just bought a new 2013 F6B last Saturday. I am running my iPhone GPS into a bluetooth helmet speaker. I have a usb thumb drive hooked up and running the music through the onboard amp and speakers. Even though the music sounds better from my iPhone and helmet speaker, I prefer to have the music through the bike so I can easily switch it off or lower the volume while keeping my iPhone GPS running.

I am not impressed with the sound quality of the onboard speakers. This is my first bike with speakers so I don't know it is the wind thats causing a problem or the speaker quality is poor. Is it worthwhile to upgrade the speakers? If so, to what? I wear a full-face helmet, so the helmet is reducing the sound as well.
    One thing to conceder is the windshield... the taller the shield the better the OEM speakers will sound, to a point.
    Now I will tell ya I changed my speakers almost as soon as I could. I did not go with some of the higher grade ones that require mods to mount them like some guys have, but just a small upgrade with the J&M plug and play direct fit. I like the sound quality, they are an improvement over the OEM IMO and meets my needs.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    One thing to conceder is the windshield... the taller the shield the better the OEM speakers will sound, to a point.
    Now I will tell ya I changed my speakers almost as soon as I could. I did not go with some of the higher grade ones that require mods to mount them like some guys have, but just a small upgrade with the J&M plug and play direct fit. I like the sound quality, they are an improvement over the OEM IMO and meets my needs.
    I have the OEM tall windshield. I don't want to do mods. Can you give me a link to the J&M direct fit please?

Matt Russell
    First Officer
    SCRC Chapter 189
    Orangeburg SC

I'm also thinking of a speaker upgrade.

I've narrowed choices to 5 options, each are 6.5'' speaker which is bigger than the stock 5.25''. All, from what I have read, are superior to the J&M speakers.

As mentioned, they may take some minor fab work.

Anyone want to chime in on the following options from Polk:

MM6501
    MM651

DB6501
    DB 651

DXI651

Not sure about the original poster, but I do not intend to add an amplifier or anything else besides the speakers.

Soo... I'm not sure if the MM series above, which are more expensive, would be worth it without an amp.

Personally, I am looking for clarity only and perhaps a slight increase in volume.

I don't know $hit about install, so I'm not sure if the "01" series with separate tweeters and crossover will be above my abilities to install.

The DXI651 series got good reviews, better than the DB series, by someone on the board, but it does not look like it is marine grade.

Quote Originally Posted by buda315 View Post

I've narrowed choices to 5 options, each are 6.5'' speaker which is bigger than the stock 5.25''. All, from what I have read, are superior to the J&M speakers.

MM6501
    MM651

DB6501
    DB 651

DXI651

Not sure about the original poster, but I do not intend to add an amplifier or anything else besides the speakers.

Soo... I'm not sure if the MM series above, which are more expensive, would be worth it without an amp.

Personally, I am looking for clarity only and perhaps a slight increase in volume.

I don't know $hit about install, so I'm not sure if the "01" series with separate tweeters and crossover will be above my abilities to install.

The DXI651 series got good reviews, better than the DB series, by someone on the board, but it does not look like it is marine grade.
    If you're not adding a new amplifier to the mix, then I'd probably steer clear of the MM series Polks.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by buda315 View Post

MM6501
    MM651

DB6501
    DB 651

DXI651

I installed the DXI 651 Polks.
    Better volume and base.
    Best utilizing these with an amp as the oem system doesn't have enough umph to bring them to their full potential. For a speaker only upgrade, they sound as good as oem before distorting, but with 1.5 % more volume.
    They are Marine grade, by the way. I also pondered the DB vs the DXI and contacted Polk for an answer. They said they were both Marine rated and the DXI would have clearer highs.
    I've had both. They both do best amplified.
    By the way, the 5.25's are rated about the same. Think I might throw a pair of these I have on the bench, in. Just to hear any difference.
    Did I say amp....

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

So you are the one who installed DXI651's. For the life of me, I could not locate your post again.

So they are marine rated.... hmmm. Choices.

Were you able to fit the 6.5'' speaker and still keep the oem tweeters in play?

If anyone else has any pros/cons for the DB651 vs. the DXI651, I'd like to hear it. I think I have decided on the coaxial vs. component speakers for ease of installation. I'm mechanically and musically disadvantaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    I installed the DXI 651 Polks.
    Better volume and base.
    Best utilizing these with an amp as the oem system doesn't have enough umph to bring them to their full potential. For a speaker only upgrade, they sound as good as oem before distorting, but with 1.5 % more volume.
    They are Marine grade, by the way. I also pondered the DB vs the DXI and contacted Polk for an answer. They said they were both Marine rated and the DXI would have clearer highs.
    I've had both. They both do best amplified.
    By the way, the 5.25's are rated about the same. Think I might throw a pair of these I have on the bench, in. Just to hear any difference.
    Did I say amp....

Jim

I used the same polks on the Wing and they do sound a tick better but could use an amp. You get a bit more volume and bass but not a huge difference. Again needs an amp. For me they fine and you can hook the stock tweeters up as well. you do have the grind the trim on the speaker a bit to get the dash bezel back on but not to bad a job.

The F6B is fine for me I put my OEM Wing windshield on which flows nicely and make sure you turn the auto volume on makes a big difference. Oh and the sound enhance whatever they call it. Hold the MODE button down and it's in there.
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3