Perhaps one of you can help me understand...

Thread: Perhaps one of you can help me understand...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have heard that the equipment deletes

are decided by the Honda people in the country in question.

They make decisions based on price/content that they believe will sell. For example, the Canadian bikes get the ABS if it's available, haven't seen any exceptions. I do question their sanity when it comes to dropping cruise control and reverse on the early F6Bs.

Just to prove they are insane I have read that there will be no DCT Gold Wings for 2018 in Canada, you have to get the full Tour model to get that.

Or buy a used one from the USA.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    ....They make decisions based on price/content that they believe will sell. For example, the Canadian bikes get the ABS if it's available, haven't seen any exceptions. I do question their sanity when it comes to dropping cruise control and reverse on the early F6Bs.

Just to prove they are insane I have read that there will be no DCT Gold Wings for 2018 in Canada, you have to get the full Tour model to get that.

Or buy a used one from the USA.
    So I guess this is what a meeting in the Honda USA boardroom sounds like:

[Suit 1]: "Hmmm. I think we should remove a tried and true feature that has been on Goldwings for years, is already engineered into the bike's design (therefore it makes virtually no difference to the price), and exists in the bike that would be a primary competitor and is already available in the market (BMW K-series) on a similarly priced vehicle."

[Suit 2]: "You mean like when we took off features that we've had for YEARS like Cruise Control, Navigation, ABS, and reverse to excessively differentiate from the full wing, even though the main competition at the time, the Harley Street Glide, had them all, except reverse, for a similar MSRP?"

[Suit 1]: "Yes."

[Suit 2]: "And you think we should do it again with a no-cost feature that we've had for years... for no sensible reason at all?"

[Suit 1]: "Yes."

[Suit 2]: "You sir.... are a GENIUS!!!"

[Suit 1]: "Not at all! I just keep my finger on the pulse of what our customers REALLY want. I even decided to pioneer a brand new feature... an add-on trunk that takes four hours to put on!"

[Suit 2]: "Amazing!!! No wonder you're the VP!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigswole31 View Post

[Suit 2]: "And you think we should do it again with a no-cost feature that we've had for years... for no sensible reason at all?"

Except they didn't do it again.

All models of the new Gold Wing have Nav,cruise,ABS etc... The only exception is the 6 spd manual bagger model doesn't have reverse.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Except they didn't do it again.

All models of the new Gold Wing have Nav,cruise,ABS etc... The only exception is the 6 spd manual bagger model doesn't have reverse.

The "it" isn't the individual items on a feature list. It's the practice of needlessly removing something(s) that can be found on a competing product at the same price point.

It was Nav, cruise, ABS, etc.. against the Street Glide. It's reverse against the K1600B.

Different items. Same Honda practice.

The "it" isn't the individual items on a feature list. It's the practice of needlessly removing something(s) that can be found on a competing product at the same price point.

It was Nav, cruise, ABS, etc.. against the Street Glide. It's reverse against the K1600B.

Different items. Same Honda practice.
    I guess I am not following you.
    What has Honda left off of the new Gold Wing?

The Base model K1600B doesn't have reverse. "Reverse Assist" can be added as an option.

You can buy the Bagger GoldWing with reverse in the DCT version. By the way, BMW doesn't offer DCT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I guess I am not following you.
    What has Honda left off of the new Gold Wing?

The Base model K1600B doesn't have reverse. "Reverse Assist" can be added as an option.

You can buy the Bagger GoldWing with reverse in the DCT version. By the way, BMW doesn't offer DCT.
    Not sure what you aren't following...

I've seen the K1600B review vids, and I went to a dealer last weekend to see the bike for myself. Reverse Assist is the same electric reverse that Goldwings have. Yes it isn't "standard"... but it IS an option... just as cruise, nav, abs, etc should have been on our model of F6B IF Honda wasn't going to just include them... since all of this tech was already indigenous to the platform. Honda USA makes decisions to remove these things with NO option for them to be added as OEM options... even if we are willing to pay for them.

Reverse was left off from the USA version of the Goldwing 1800B, which is the new version of the F6B without the DCT. It is not available to USA buyers who want the 6-speed manual, non-tour version as standard or as an OEM option. It's native to the flat-six platform, been in Honda's bikes for years, is on the six-speed manual Goldwing Tour and the Goldwing 1800B models in other territories, and as you stated is available as an option on the K1600B... which the BMW dealer told me is getting a trunk accessory. I guess I'm just not a fan of needless take-aways.... especially if you won't even make them available as options.

I don't work for Honda, but do you really think that leaving that option in would have adversely affected the price?? I'm almost surprised that they didn't decide to remove the functionality from the DCT version of the 1800B as well.,,, just because it differentiates the models.

JMHO. Still love riding my F6B though.

Back when I was shopping for the f6b, I spoke to a lot of dealers that were shocked that it didnt have reverse. Then they would say that they had a lot of people cancel preorders back in 2012 on the 13's once they found out it didnt have reverse. So Honda would have probably sold a lot more bikes if it had kept the staples of the the full wing. Reverse, cruise, and nav. But, it didnt sell like they thought, and they moved on to another questionable decision.

I think a lot of people bought the 6's because they were deeply discounted and had the flat 6.

Not sure what you aren't following...

I've seen the K1600B review vids, and I went to a dealer last weekend to see the bike for myself. Reverse Assist is the same electric reverse that Goldwings have. Yes it isn't "standard"... but it IS an option... just as cruise, nav, abs, etc should have been on our model of F6B IF Honda wasn't going to just include them... since all of this tech was already indigenous to the platform. Honda USA makes decisions to remove these things with NO option for them to be added as OEM options... even if we are willing to pay for them.

Reverse was left off from the USA version of the Goldwing 1800B, which is the new version of the F6B without the DCT. It is not available to USA buyers who want the 6-speed manual, non-tour version as standard or as an OEM option. It's native to the flat-six platform, been in Honda's bikes for years, is on the six-speed manual Goldwing Tour and the Goldwing 1800B models in other territories, and as you stated is available as an option on the K1600B... which the BMW dealer told me is getting a trunk accessory. I guess I'm just not a fan of needless take-aways.... especially if you won't even make them available as options.

I don't work for Honda, but do you really think that leaving that option in would have adversely affected the price?? I'm almost surprised that they didn't decide to remove the functionality from the DCT version of the 1800B as well.,,, just because it differentiates the models.

JMHO. Still love riding my F6B though.
    Oh,I follow you. I just don't agree with your assessment. That's all.