TIRES TIRES TIRES - Page 6
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: TIRES TIRES TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Go Michelin Alpine, Run Flat!!! 32psi on the flats and 36psi in the twistys...on this last trip I did go up to 36 psi and the bike did great ...
    I mounted a Michelin this past weekend running at 32. It does feel different but I'm adjusting accordingly. I may bump up to 36 as suggested and give that a try. The only flats I run are the ones that get me to the twistys.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I have installed Ride On in my tires....if I pick up a screw...just pull it out and continue on!!!!!!

http://www.ride-on.com/
    Steve, thank you for introducing me to Ride On. I have never heard of this product before. I shared your link with my buddies, and they too are very fascinated by it and are interested in purchasing it. My question to you is, have you experienced a puncture in your tires with the sealant inside? If so, did it work as described?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Has anyone tried the metzler 888? How was mileage?
    I'm sure us at the 8k plateau got a different batch than the rest.will see on this next pair.
    Not to anyone or tobut
    I read a post some time ago. And a darksider did tons of damage to drivetrain from over 100000 miles.
    there was a lot of emphasis on the drag that a car tire has ie improved acceleration. Improved braking. But if I remember correctly had some real statistics on why driveshaft, rear diff, and gears in transmission were all chewed to pieces.
    Don't shoot the messenger just trying to help out I'm sure it could be found on Google.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Have not heard of the Darkside situation you described.

Not sure the Goldwing version of the 888 has been out long enough to get much feedback,,,

The Wing does pretty good on tires compared to my old V-Twins,,, Only got about 8K on rears with those bikes but 13+ on the Wing. Same roads/rider.

Bikes all weighed about the same. The flat six lays down the power in smaller/shorter intervals than the twins,,, Kinda like 6 framing hammers vs, 2 sledges,,,

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by naga viper View Post
    I'm sure us at the 8k plateau got a different batch than the rest.will see on this next pair.
    Not to anyone or tobut
    I read a post some time ago. And a darksider did tons of damage to drivetrain from over 100000 miles.
    there was a lot of emphasis on the drag that a car tire has ie improved acceleration. Improved braking. But if I remember correctly had some real statistics on why driveshaft, rear diff, and gears in transmission were all chewed to pieces.
    Don't shoot the messenger just trying to help out I'm sure it could be found on Google.
    If you drag the tire on the brake side the brake pads are holding the rotor so no stress on the drivetrain. As far as the takeoff unless you are trying to smoke the tire stress would be no different. Some people can find fault with anything. Mostly those kind of people don't know shyt from tar. You have to have a little common sense , research the subject or actually talk to someone knowledgeable. MC tires don't slip on normal braking or on normal shifting. But you know anything can be broken if you try hard enough. Besides , whats the bitch. 100,000 miles? That's three Harley's lifetimes.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Have not heard of the Darkside situation you described.

Not sure the Goldwing version of the 888 has been out long enough to get much feedback,,,

The Wing does pretty good on tires compared to my old V-Twins,,, Only got about 8K on rears with those bikes but 13+ on the Wing. Same roads/rider.

Bikes all weighed about the same. The flat six lays down the power in smaller/shorter intervals than the twins,,, Kinda like 6 framing hammers vs, 2 sledges,,,
    That's creative even for you Scot. I do enjoy your post's though.

Check this out: http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=63017

Tire blew out on the interstate at 65 mph. Looks like the sidewall detached. Bike totaled. Rider and passenger injured. Cause unknown. Tire brand... Metzler.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Yes, they have a set made exclusively for the GL 1800. Radials.
    Gracias.

Quote Originally Posted by naga viper View Post
    Not to anyone or tobut
    Can you find that post?

Notice the tread; it looks like there should have been a LOT more left in it.

Idk, guys. This kind of stuff is spooky.

Rear Tire Failure

After doing a search of rear cycle tire failures there are two reported incidents! One describing a Bridgestone MT on a GL1800. Hope this attachment works

Here's the post!
    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...DQzKhy43Z4Bik-
    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...Op7Ue2zJvZKRo-

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    There was also a post a few years back about a CT RF rear failure,,, Crash/burn.

Story goes he ran the RF long enough with low/no air pressure that the sidewalls shredded out. Bike had NO TPMS.

Here's a old thread from ~some guy~ () on the VTX Café about the same incident,,,: http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.ph...-failure-video

(Unclear, but the vid does not appear to be current/active. As I remember it, it was taken at the dealership who removed the shredded CT. just showed the tire, said it came off a Gwing,,, Nothing was said in the vid about 'cause'. I went to the darkside forum to find out what happened as I was sportin a Mich HE at the time)

Many use RF's as a rapid loss of air pressure on a NRF CT mounted on a MC rim can result in the bead disengaging from the rim. (YEE HAW!!! HANG ON ETHEL!!!)

The MT / MC rim are specifically designed to 'marry/seat' with a small ridge in the MC rim. MT bead sits just outside that ridge, helping the bead to stay seated longer in the even of low/no air pressure.

CT beads are wider, and will not fit down in the rim channel outside that ridge.

I can see where the addition of TPMS to any CT equipped bike would be beneficial, RF or no RF. The OEM TPMS system on Wings doesn't always play well with the pressures DS'ers run, so 'work-arounds' may be required.

I (now) run MT's on MC rims w/no TPMS. Everyone else can make their own decision.