Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
Hey Miles--

I'm certainly not going to try to argue your point about possible weakening of the CT sidewalls over time but do you really think we load these tires enough to cause that kind of problem? I don't really know the answer but after all, we're talking about car tires built to handle who knows what kind of abuse including sliding sideways in a 4000 lb. vehicle which has to put an extreme amount of stress on the tire and we're using them on bikes and simply leaning over. You raise one of the most interesting points I've heard on this subject but my gut feeling (and that sure isn't scientific) is that a good quality, performance CT can handle anything we can throw at it. I ran a Michelin Pilot Sport CT on my Rocket III and was real happy with it but didn't put enough miles on it to observe any problems. So again, I don't know the facts about long term safety but it is something to consider.
Hornblower, you make some good points. It is not the load on the sidewalls trhat concerns me, it is the stress caused by flexing the sidewalls. And...I am not at all certain about my concerns. They are just...concerns...that I am looking for the right answers to eliminate my concerns. Everyday I get a little more willing to try a CT, and a little less skeptical, but before I put my life on the line, I would like to have more knowledge on the subject.