I don't want to ride to work anymore - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I don't want to ride to work anymore

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I know what three S's are... what's the fourth one?

Sex?
    Since he has been in uniform in the past - I'm guessing shoeshine

I've been riding for about 40 yrs and although average 12-14,000 miles a year I very seldom ever ride my Motorcycles to work during the week. Although I will ride the old 78 GL1000 in from time to time on a nice Saturday.

My riding is my sanity and riding to work constantly makes it more of a task. Dealing with other commuters and rush hour traffic means constant focus and very little "wind down" time on the way home.

I can't see myself riding home from work then jumping back on to ride out and meet friends for Coffee or Dinner or a ride out to a local bike night.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

My commute is only 20 min...10 if everyone would get the hell out of my way! Don't they know the road is mine? Ok, I don't own the road all by myself, but when I ride I like to feel as if I do. Commuting on my six just sucks the fun out of what the machine is capable of and what it is meant to do. Cars, traffic lights, 35 mph speed limits, etc are just not fun. I was recently on a road trip and while in Idaho I had maybe my favorite ~120 mile stretch of all time. We rode from Ketchum, ID to Challis, ID mirroring the Salmon River without seeing a single car on the road. Now that, my friends, is how it should be!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ride to work daily, I'm so lucky, rural road, farms and lakes right into our little industrial park.

Having to put the bike up for winter and cold is the suck part.
    When we remember that we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained... Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DTOM View Post
    My commute is only 20 min...10 if everyone would get the hell out of my way! Don't they know the road is mine? Ok, I don't own the road all by myself, but when I ride I like to feel as if I do. Commuting on my six just sucks the fun out of what the machine is capable of and what it is meant to do. Cars, traffic lights, 35 mph speed limits, etc are just not fun. I was recently on a road trip and while in Idaho I had maybe my favorite ~120 mile stretch of all time. We rode from Ketchum, ID to Challis, ID mirroring the Salmon River without seeing a single car on the road. Now that, my friends, is how it should be!
    My commute to work sucks, 30 yrs now. But the sweet summer - fall rides make up for most of it.

Undoubtedly one of my favorites also. It's much like Lolo Trail from Lewiston to Bozeman. http://www.her-motorcycle.com/Lolo-Pass.html
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

ride to work

Hey Vstar I hear ya.I ride to work occasionally,why . Well , I'm on the road bout 4:45 and I'm tired.sometimes forget to get jacket etc. Ready.ohh,and don't forget the deer in the dark.also when coming out of the building it's raining,I know some of you guys ride in the rain,not me unless surprised by it.

Cool

I retired 3 years ago so I don't sweat driving ANYTHING to work.

Work whats that all about-I know just another wise ass retired guy rubbin it in.When I was employed and living in Northern California I commuted 130 miles round trip from west of Santa Rosa to San Francisco.Tried to wear out a 1100,1200 and a 1500 Goldwing over 28 years of burning up tires on Hwy 101.I worked a 4-12 shift most of those years to avoid traffic-when I was going in all the day workers were going the other way.Ride home at night was very relaxing with few people on the road.Going thru the city and fog were the two things that at times would make my arss pucker.After about 200,000 miles I was able to retire and do not miss that commute at all.Now I live in Northern Nevada and get to ride for fun when these old bones feel like it.

One of the few advantages of being in the sticks

20 minutes each way. Go in at 8 so I leave about 7:30. Little traffic.few nice curves. No stoplight. I ride a few days a week. Not all of the time just to switch it up.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I commute nearly everyday regardless of the weather. About 14 miles each way now. There's a dual purpose for me in it...I luv to ride regardless of the reason and I'm not senior enough to get reasonable parking. The only lot I can get a pass for is close to a mile walk by the time you weave around everything. MC parking isn't assigned and I can get a lot closer. Of the 70k on my VTX probably 50k are commuting, my Vstar before that was a similar ratio and on the B 5k of the 8k are commuting. I spent nearly 6 months in Japan walking to work so it's a bit low...