new Yamaha Transcontinental Touring - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: new Yamaha Transcontinental Touring

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Same motor as the old Roadliner and Raider, which were both belt drive. This one is a 6 speed, the other 2 were 5 speed. Lots of power and low end grunt. I've put several thousand miles on a Raider and a Roadliner, but, I'll stay with my F6 for now. Too much $$$$$$$
    Use my B for touring and a custom liner for my puttin' around town or poser weekend friends. 65K miles on it and not a problem. It is one helleva an engine but G#D Damn - 25K? Waaaay to expensive. Believe it was one of the CEO's at Polaris who said upon purchasing the Indian brand. Victory is an amazing motorcycle but Indian is a brand. The new Yami is probably one helleva of bike BUT people spending that kind of money for a 'touring motorcycle' will be purchasing a Wing, BMW, and not into touring per se but enjoy a 300 mile weekend adventure - it's an Indian or HD. IMHO.

Believe the B would have sold thousands of bike had they priced it around 15 or 16K. It was too overpriced. Now they're a steal.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

And the new BMW bagger is $20k and talk about one heckuva bike with probably one of the best suspensions on the market. Other than the brand stigma (not everyone wants to be labeled a "BMW" guy), that's one tough bike to beat. 160hp??? That's one fun ride!
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Free ride

There demo truck is down the road this week end if not doing any thing might have to check it out, free ride free food no intentions of buying anything. Will report back on the test ride if I make it there.

I was a 1st gen venture owner and loved it. Moved to the F6B because they quit making the 1st gens. Now going to a vtwin? a move backwards in my mind. And air cooled? WTF? My opinion a true touring or sprots touring bike needs 4 or more cylinders and water cooled..........Guess i'll be riding my F6B for a llloooonnnnnggggggggg time(Snicker) oh whoa is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomibagger View Post
    I was a 1st gen venture owner and loved it. Moved to the F6B because they quit making the 1st gens. Now going to a vtwin? a move backwards in my mind. And air cooled? WTF? My opinion a true touring or sprots touring bike needs 4 or more cylinders and water cooled..........Guess i'll be riding my F6B for a llloooonnnnnggggggggg time(Snicker) oh whoa is me.
    Were you a first gen Venture owner? 1983 I think. My dad has a 89.

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Thanks for posting that. A few years back I hummed and hawed on a "new" old stock. Ridiculously cheap. Left the store, decided I should jump on the deal and turned around to go back. Less than 30 mins later it was sold...probably to the guy I held the door for as I walked out the first time..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mrf13 View Post
    I'm with Jimmytee.
    Missed Opportunity there. That Vmax motor is a beast. Would have been a lot more competitive to a wing.
    I don't know, I suspect v-4s are just too thirsty for a touring rig. I got low-30s on my VFR800, and it's a much smaller engine in a much smaller bike.

And I have zero complaints about power from the flat 6. More power means more expense and more repairs, no thank you very much.

air cooled dilema.

Quote Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
    Wont poach many sales from the Goldwing crowd. Clearly aimed at the V-twin segment. Too ME, it will be a quality bike, most of Yamaha's stuff is. The only V-twin I see myself on is the Ducati X-Diavel (Dreaming). The only way I would consider changing from the F6B is if Honda comes out with a faster, more powerful bagger....Very unlikely, I am happy with what I have.
    Agree and besides air cooled v twins are never going to be as reliable as the water cooled 6. If your going to tour you want to do it on a cooler more reliable platform - me thinks the reverse aims the bike towards trike conversion platforms and sales.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

Speaking of the flat-6, it was interesting to see what Honda was thinking when they made the switch from a flat-4 in the 80s.

The GW kept getting heavier, and their efforts to squeeze out every drop of power from the Four was resulting is a reduction in smooth and vibration free power delivery, a hallmark of the GW power plants, and one of their original goals back in '75 when the original Wing was born.

So, they went to the Six, which they could keep as a SOHC two-valve per cylinder that still made strong power but without the vibration and raspy side effects from the tuned up Four.

That explains to me, fairly new to the Wing scene, why it has a low-tech Six...its about consistent, big power (though not sport bike power), but the minimal vibration and rough character that can come from too much tuning to too few cylinders.

Go ride any twin at 60 mph, then ride a Wing at 60, and you can see why they did what they did.

Hey Honda, just thrown in a 6th gear now to get 60 mph revs down to 2200!!
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Or 85mph below 3500 RPM.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce