Anti Dive Shim
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anti Dive Shim

Anti Dive Shim

What is the down side of installing the anti dive shim? It seems everyone has good things to say about the shim.

Why would Honda spend money to install the anti dive system if the bike is better without it?

Just want to understand are the riders correct or is Honda correct?

Richie

As the name implies, the ADV's(Anti-Dive Valve) intent is to prevent the front end from diving under hard braking.

From how I understand the issue, the ADV (in good working order) should NOT do anything when the brakes are NOT applied, but it is not always in good working order. If it sticks, it locks the front fork when brakes are NOT applied.

Once the forks are locked (under braking or sticky ADV), the front shock can not work to absorb bumps. Loosing shock absorption is not desirable, thus a questionable design approach in the first place by Mother Honda. By disabling the ADV with a shim, the forks do not get locked at the possible trade off of front end dive under hard braking if the fork springs are too lite for the specific load.

Someone correct me if I am wrong or missed something.

HTH

Dont really notice much dive during hard braking after installing my shim..I dont ever remember having AD on my other bikes so dont see it as a big safety issue since Ive never been bucked off a bike yet...lol
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    What is the down side of installing the anti dive shim? It seems everyone has good things to say about the shim.

Why would Honda spend money to install the anti dive system if the bike is better without it?

Just want to understand are the riders correct or is Honda correct?

Richie

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800antidive.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Limoles! Thanks for sharing! I like the idea of the two rubber O-rings. I have a box of Nitril O-Rings from Harbor Freight and will be checking to see if I have the right sizes.

Bob

I've opted for the spacer that is sold for this. Fork dive is normal; though I have yet to experience it with a GL/F6B. I am going to find out soon enough; once the spacer comes in.

If I don't like the fork dive; then I will do the rubber O-ring modification. Fork dive during braking is something that is not abnormal to me; though if it is greatly exaggerated... I will have to revisit.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Limoles! Thanks for sharing! I like the idea of the two rubber O-rings. I have a box of Nitril O-Rings from Harbor Freight and will be checking to see if I have the right sizes.

Bob
    Bob ,

I also would love to upgrade my front suspension , but as a right now have no time to exercise any improvements , so when you complete your job , please keep us updated and share developed experience .

$25 and 10 minutes is all you need....
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Bob ,

I also would love to upgrade my front suspension , but as a right now have no time to exercise any improvements , so when you complete your job , please keep us updated and share developed experience .
    Will do! I already have a selection of SAE O-rings but may get the Metric O-rings. Harbor Freight has both on sale for $7.99 regularly $14.99

Here's some pics of the Kits.

Attachment 15850Attachment 15851

Quote Originally Posted by hgslayr View Post
    $25 and 10 minutes is all you need....
    You probably right , but now , if is not even time for riding , $25.00 wouldn't help anyway .
    Since I'm not crazy for Chinese imitations , I'd rather learn , what's the size of those O-rings and install properly measured Aflas ( FEPM ) AF69/90 grade , or chlorosulphonyl polyethylene ( CSM ) seals , ensuring long mechanical ( compression ) duties , with resistance for chemical , or temp. changes . Sometimes small things play huge roles .
    ps.
    When Bob will find correct size , in full trust of his accuracy , I'll order more rings and try to distribute to those who might be interested . I already made contact with DuPont rep. and discussed the purchase .