Does Anyone Have Front Wheel Wobble? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Have Front Wheel Wobble?

Quote Originally Posted by yellow rex View Post
    dickiedeals you may wont to pm Zackabilly,
    he uses the seely poroduct on all of his goldwings.
    Spending $500 bucks to maybe make an ever so slight wobble go away is a bit extreme. I feel it should be fixed by Honda and that's where I shall start once I'm sure tire pressure is correct.............................Dickie

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    Checked my gauges this morning. Every one of them gives a different reading. So while I thought the pressure is correct. Now I have no idea? Is there an accurate gauge?First going to play with pressures and see if it matters.Then I'll go from there.............Dickie
    Guaranteed accuracy is kinda tough to find,,, Even the economical pencil gauges can be good, and more expensive dial types 'not so good' I haven't had a digital in years, as I'm very happy with the 'bleed-off/pressure release' features many of the dial type gauges provide.

Accu-Gauge is the flavor that turned out to be 4 lbs off,,, however, I'm almost certain there are multiple 'brands' of the same gauge system with only the difference being the faceplate/dial on the gauge itself, and/or perhaps the hose color/material.

(My latest MC Gauge appears to be an 'Accu-Gauge' clone)

The version of the 'Accu-Gauge' I had before was the RA60X at the bottom of the page:

http://www.ghmeiser.com/dial.htm

Worked great for getting at those straight MC stems, but, I no longer have straight MC stems and,,, well,,, you know,,,

I'm not going to badmouth Accu Guage, but I did kinda end up with a 'dud' I guess,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Guaranteed accuracy is kinda tough to find,,, Even the economical pencil gauges can be good, and more expensive dial types 'not so good' I haven't had a digital in years, as I'm very happy with the 'bleed-off/pressure release' features many of the dial type gauges provide.

Accu-Gauge is the flavor that turned out to be 4 lbs off,,, however, I'm almost certain there are multiple 'brands' of the same gauge system with only the difference being the faceplate/dial on the gauge itself, and/or perhaps the hose color/material.

(My latest MC Gauge appears to be an 'Accu-Gauge' clone)

The version of the 'Accu-Gauge' I had before was the RA60X at the bottom of the page:

http://www.ghmeiser.com/dial.htm

Worked great for getting at those straight MC stems, but, I no longer have straight MC stems and,,, well,,, you know,,,

I'm not going to badmouth Accu Guage, but I did kinda end up with a 'dud' I guess,,,
    yep, got two of them and they both read different .Go figure...Dickie

This is the gauge I'm using. It's very accurate and easy to use.

http://www.joesracing.com/index.php?...roduct_id=1068

Like several other posters, I have found most of the popular digital gauges to be quite inaccurate
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    This is the gauge I'm using. It's very accurate and easy to use.

http://www.joesracing.com/index.php?...roduct_id=1068

Like several other posters, I have found most of the popular digital gauges to be quite inaccurate
    Hey Hornblower thanks for the info. I'll check'em out.................Dickie ..............And It glows in the dark too!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I've heard good things about Joes, but also about Accu-G too,,,

Here are 2 models with a substantial price differences;

HB's:

http://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32.../dp/B003TQ2W44

Other:

http://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32...xp_grid_pt_0_0

The first has a 'hold valve' (Holds air pressure in gauge until manually released, with or without hose attached to tire)

2nd doesn't have the hold feature. It releases air from the gauge when the hose is removed from the tire.

IMHO, the hold feature is excellent, a virtual 'must have', but if the hold feature is the only difference between these 2, something doesn't seem right,,,, Is that the ONLY difference? Surely not,,,

Dickie, I know it is important to have confidence in your tire gauge but if you think it affects the wobble why don't you test at 4psi lower and 4psi higher than what you run right now and see if it improves?

F6B

For the wobble, we still need to look at something else. The way my 6 is set up I can ride with no hands for miles with the cruise control engaged. We must be riding different bikes. Not sure if it is the suspension my weight and the overall position but mine never vers off the path with no hands not that you supposed to be riding with no hands. Just to say mine is very stable. I have not adjusted my suspension from the factory with only replacing the windshield. I weight about 300 pounds plus at 6 feet 1 inches. The bike was made for me.

Well I guess I will throw my 2 cents in. I have owned a wing for 13 years and it had the front end deceleration wobble at 40 to 35 mph. Heck it was new back in 01. We all thought it was the tire manufacturer making bad tires that were not good for the new wing. Tire cupping was a huge deal way back then. We tried fork braces to stop the flexing hoping that was the problem. Nope. We then inspected the neck bearings. We all started replacing the bearings and the problems were going away. Tire cupping also disappeared as we replaced the bearings. I did this some 10 years ago and all the wobbling issues have disappeared. Watching tire pressure is also critical. Honda was telling us to run 40 to 41 psi cold in the front tires to prevent cupping. I just did not like that much pressure in the front tire and it made the front end feel too light so I run around 38 lbs in the front. I hope when I pick my F6B up this week, that I don't have the front end wobble, but if I do, I won't fret about it, I will order the bearings and replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogzilla View Post
    Well I guess I will throw my 2 cents in. I have owned a wing for 13 years and it had the front end deceleration wobble at 40 to 35 mph. Heck it was new back in 01. We all thought it was the tire manufacturer making bad tires that were not good for the new wing. Tire cupping was a huge deal way back then. We tried fork braces to stop the flexing hoping that was the problem. Nope. We then inspected the neck bearings. We all started replacing the bearings and the problems were going away. Tire cupping also disappeared as we replaced the bearings. I did this some 10 years ago and all the wobbling issues have disappeared. Watching tire pressure is also critical. Honda was telling us to run 40 to 41 psi cold in the front tires to prevent cupping. I just did not like that much pressure in the front tire and it made the front end feel too light so I run around 38 lbs in the front. I hope when I pick my F6B up this week, that I don't have the front end wobble, but if I do, I won't fret about it, I will order the bearings and replace them.
    You have any Idea what the bearings part number is? Are they after market? Where can I get them?.Dickie