Olympic Switchback 2 or Klim Induction?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Switchback 2 or Klim Induction?

Olympic Switchback 2 or Klim Induction?

Please help me decide. Looking for a jacket with as much protection as possible but great airflow with hi viz features.

If I ride in the rain, it is by accident.

I have narrowed it down to two. Here are my thoughts:

Olympic seems like the better value:
    -more hi viz material
    -Cordura 500 mesh material
    -CE approved elbow, shoulder and back (though I cannot find what level of CE approval it offers)
    -Has a rain liner option
    $199 on RevZilla with RevZilla cash I have; can get another $10 RevZilla cash with purchase

However, the Klim:
    -has D3O protection at elbows and shoulders - I really like this feature
    -Not Cordura, but high strength mesh
    -no rain liner
    -Klim has great reputation for durability, but also their name recognition is built into the price below
    -very popular mid-priced jacket
    $349 on RevZilla and everywhere else with no discounts
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Please help me decide. Looking for a jacket with as much protection as possible but great airflow with hi viz features.

If I ride in the rain, it is by accident.

I have narrowed it down to two. Here are my thoughts:

Olympic seems like the better value:
    -more hi viz material
    -Cordura 500 mesh material
    -CE approved elbow, shoulder and back (though I cannot find what level of CE approval it offers)
    -Has a rain liner option
    $199 on RevZilla with RevZilla cash I have; can get another $10 RevZilla cash with purchase

However, the Klim:
    -has D3O protection at elbows and shoulders - I really like this feature
    -Not Cordura, but high strength mesh
    -no rain liner
    -Klim has great reputation for durability, but also their name recognition is built into the price below
    -very popular mid-priced jacket
    $349 on RevZilla and everywhere else with no discounts
    You sure Klim doesn't have the rain liner? I bought one from a member here and got a liner with it. One other thing...I'm not convinced hi-viz is all that. I'm still not seen. My horn got a workout this week on my PA ride. Good thing I pay attention, because cagers don't. I had two close calls....within feet of me.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    You sure Klim doesn't have the rain liner? I bought one from a member here and got a liner with it. One other thing...I'm not convinced hi-viz is all that. I'm still not seen. My horn got a workout this week on my PA ride. Good thing I pay attention, because cagers don't. I had two close calls....within feet of me.
    Yes. This is the first year without one. They dropped the liner to drop the price; discovered this is as part of my research.

Sorry about your close calls...high viz is no guarantee, but I'll take any advantage when out there.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

olympia

I've had my Olympia for 5 + years. Its a great jacket with rain liner and cold weather liner. Has held up excellent, all fasteners/zips/pockets are all intact. Comfortable and has the armor in the shoulder/elbow/back which I have had the good fortune of not having tested. For the price, thats my pick.

I'm in central FL. I'll wear a mesh jacket, in the winter w/ a liner & I always carry a good rain suit.

Olympia NOT Olympic!

Sorry about the mistake! Thanks for the input so far!
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Olympia vs KLIM

I've had my Olympia for three years now with both the cold and rain liners. Great Jacket. Lots of airflow. My riding buddy has the KLIM jacket and matching pants. He stays dryer if caught in the rain as I usually don't wear the rain liner. I have to stop to put it on. The one you're talking about should be made of Gore-Tex and therefore shouldn't need the liner. I'm happy with my Olympia and the extra $200 bucks you'd save could go elsewhere on your bike.....

Executive decision

Ended up going with the Olympia jacket. I was thinking the same thing as you guys...fairly equivalent jacket for nearly half as much; take what's left and spend it on other things.

I tried on a Switchback at the dealer I bought my bike from. They had the retail of $239, but gave it to me for $215. RevZilla was about $20 cheaper, but I like support a local business when I can, plus I could take it home today vs. waiting for it for a week.

So far, so good with the jacket. Much more airflow than my current armor jacket/hi viz vest combo, especially in the arms.

Thanks for the advice!
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    I've had my Olympia for 5 + years. Its a great jacket with rain liner and cold weather liner. Has held up excellent, all fasteners/zips/pockets are all intact. Comfortable and has the armor in the shoulder/elbow/back which I have had the good fortune of not having tested. For the price, thats my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Ended up going with the Olympia jacket. I was thinking the same thing as you guys...fairly equivalent jacket for nearly half as much; take what's left and spend it on other things.

I tried on a Switchback at the dealer I bought my bike from. They had the retail of $239, but gave it to me for $215. RevZilla was about $20 cheaper, but I like support a local business when I can, plus I could take it home today vs. waiting for it for a week.

So far, so good with the jacket. Much more airflow than my current armor jacket/hi viz vest combo, especially in the arms.

Thanks for the advice!

If you're married take the wifey out.