Gas Pumps - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas Pumps

Chevron premium myself, I've seen the difference in other vehicles. Maybe it's just piece of mind with the B, however the extra $1 or so a tank doen't matter to me.

mmmmm ethanol

REGULAR...Unless they have ethanol free- I don't believe I've ever seen ethanol- free, regular around here. I wish!

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    REGULAR...Unless they have ethanol free- I don't believe I've ever seen ethanol- free, regular around here. I wish!
    Rick, Come towards the Albany Saratoga area....many of the Stewarts have the ethanol free now

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Rick, Come towards the Albany Saratoga area....many of the Stewarts have the ethanol free now
    That's great. My trip through rural LA revealed how desirable true gas is. I want to believe my B appreciated the fine wine from the pump.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    OK I don't know if this is true everywhere but the only gas that has a true octane is regular and premium. The 89 is blended at the station. And guess what? Most times you get screwed. That's the way they do it in MO. I run Premium all the time and mostly Shell or BP. I have never had the cold stumble that others claim and in the summer when its 95° I don't worry about spark knock. My bike always runs great. Another benefit with the brands I mentioned is the premium detergent packages both have in their top grade fuels. Being a mechanic most of my life I've seen too many fuel related problems. Living in a state where we experience temperature extremes at both ends I like the peace of mind I get with a top grade fuel.
    I agree, here in Australia we have the same choices as you do on fuel grades, in many years of riding and driving the only problems i have had is with standard fuel, more importantly though i had a neighbor who was a fuel tanker driver who told me that whenever they carried standard unleaded they regularly had to clean the tankers out because of a buildup of deposits and crap but with higher grade fuels [more cleaning agents], no problems, so he and his fellow drivers all use premium in their own cars/bikes. It certainly can't harm and is worth the extra dollar or two for my 'peace of mind.

Jim

As a guy who drove a gasoline tanker for a few years, allow me to share some training and insight.

1-All vehicles are designed and tuned for a specific octane that is mentioned in the owners manual. Compression ratio and timing are factored in. Example: If the manual calls for 87 octane, that is how it is engineered and designed. You will not harm it by running 93, but it is not necessary and you are not getting any benefit. But if it makes you feel better, it is your money and it is not my job to tell you how to spend it. Now if it calls for 93, the you need 93 and no less.

2-All gas comes from the same pipeline. The US Gvnt sets a minimum standard for additives to allow the EFI sensors to function without buildup. Discount gasoline goes by this standard and are a few cents cheaper. Shell, Exxon, BP, Chevron and a few others go above the minimum standard and cost more.

As it was explained to me, you can buy a quality product every fill up or a can of Seafoam once a month for the same result.

Buy what makes you sleep better every night.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Premium (higher octane) just means that the fuel is more resistant to combustion.

I don't think that anyone is getting a "better grade" of fuel due to that.

The bike calls for regular... 87 octane... a common octane that is refreshed more often than not at the pumps; as compared to mid grade or premium.

I feed my F6B with Shell's 87 octane... it is one of the top tier gasoline suppliers in the U.S. Never had an issue with Shell's 87 octane in any of my wide application of internal combustion engines...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Glad to see you guys are on the ball, just testing your reactions you see! Just what i was told.

What i am interested in as well though, is most of your fuel [standard at least] is it a blend of ethanol 5/10 %, i gather it is, over here it is viewed with great suspicion and, possibly wildly exaggerated tales of woe, is it that bad?. non-blended is hard to find, thought's please?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-oz View Post
    Glad to see you guys are on the ball, just testing your reactions you see! Just what i was told.

What i am interested in as well though, is most of your fuel [standard at least] is it a blend of ethanol 5/10 %, i gather it is, over here it is viewed with great suspicion and, possibly wildly exaggerated tales of woe, is it that bad?. non-blended is hard to find, thought's please?
    It's mostly 10% over here mate. But there are efforts to make it 15% which are being fought. Hasn't happened yet across our nation.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Same here, thanks for the response but do you find ethanol OK? By the way your aviator, is that Cav? I recognize the badge but can't remember.