Cobra 6 into 6 exhaust install - Page 18
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Cobra 6 into 6 exhaust install

Removing one baffle in each Cobra pipe/Cobra install thread

Is this a good idea???Seems to me it would present uneven back pressure issues in the engine exhaust system and could lead to motor/valve issues down the road...I am no mechanic , but maybe someone should question this issue with Cobra exhaust people...I would love the nasty drone to go away with my 6-2-6 pipes and will probably go back to stock this next spring if no one can fine a solution..Running without baffles is way to loud for me...I will plan to call Cobra tomorrow and ask the question of one baffle out on each side and see what they say......

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Is this a good idea???Seems to me it would present uneven back pressure issues in the engine exhaust system and could lead to motor/valve issues down the road...I am no mechanic , but maybe someone should question this issue with Cobra exhaust people...I would love the nasty drone to go away with my 6-2-6 pipes and will probably go back to stock this next spring if no one can fine a solution..Running without baffles is way to loud for me...I will plan to call Cobra tomorrow and ask the question of one baffle out on each side and see what they say......
    Please understand that it is with great respect...for a 74 year old rider...that I address this and say that there will be NO problem in removing one, two, or all three baffles, to get the coorect level of sound...lack of drone...for your bike. The baffles are located far down stream of the exhaust collecvtor, which in itself is down stream of the header-pipes, which have the O2 sensor in them. If we were talking about altering a header pipe, or dumping the exhaust by way of a header pipe, then that would relate to your concerns. But given how far down stream the baffles are, in relation to the engine and valves, there will be no problems here.

How does one remove these baffles??? As noted I have been riding for many years, some bikes with stock pipes, some without, but never had this nauseating drone sound before. Don't remember if my Valkyrie Cobra pipes had baffles or not, but they were straight 6 into 6, not like the current ones for the F6B. I really like the looks of these pipes and the sound is okay when the speeds are under 50 or so, but as said by some at freeway speeds, they can really get obnoxious. I might try the baffle thing if not a big deal, otherwise I will wait until spring and have the dealer do it, or return to the stockers unless I get used to the drone by next spring.....Thanks for the response

How does one remove these baffles??? As noted I have been riding for many years, some bikes with stock pipes, some without, but never had this nauseating drone sound before. Don't remember if my Valkyrie Cobra pipes had baffles or not, but they were straight 6 into 6, not like the current ones for the F6B. I really like the looks of these pipes and the sound is okay when the speeds are under 50 or so, but as said by some at freeway speeds, they can really get obnoxious. I might try the baffle thing if not a big deal, otherwise I will wait until spring and have the dealer do it, or return to the stockers unless I get used to the drone by next spring.....Thanks for the response
    Removing the baffles is really easy. It's one screw, reach in the end of the pipe with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the baffle out.
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I talked with Mike at Cobra this afternoon and he assured me they are going to look into the drone issue with the 6-2-6 pipes and see if they can duplicate the noise issue and try to find a possible solution...I will try removing one of the baffles after I talk with them again in a week to see if this makes any difference..I am going to hold up on the baffle until the guy at Cobra has a chance to discuss this with the engineers and then go from there....Hopefully they can find a solution as this drone noise at highway speeds is killing my ears......

My Service guy was interested in test driving my scoot today. He heard the drone with a full-face helmet and it just confirmed I wasn't going crazy. I tried removing baffles one at a time. They came out easy enough, so I didn't mind spending some time trying different combinations. No help for me. I let my friend ride the bike today. He's 6'2, and said although he heard the drone clearly enough, and it was much louder than his, to him, it was not intolerable. He's got a 2003 with Cobra Tri-Oval's.

So I put the stock pipes back on. Took us all of 1/2 hour to remove the Cobra's and re-install the stock pipes. I guess it really sucks that you can't test ride a set of pipes before you buy, but for now I'll stick with stock. At least I can say I exhausted all possibilities

The Cobra's are for sale.

I agree that this drone with the Cobra pipes "sucks"...I did test ride an F6B at the dealer and it had the Cobra's on it with the stock windshield..The wind noise was so bad for me that I heard the drone but not near as badly as when I picked up my own bike and rode it home. The drone at 55-75mph was very noticeable and somewhat irritating, but I lived with it until I got home...I thought maybe it was my helmet or the Baggershield windshield that caused it, but no....Later that week rode the same dealer test bike with my own helmet and the drone was just a bad even with the stock shield....I will keep my pipes for now as the riding season is pretty much over in Michigan, but if nothing is done on Cobra's end with some possible solutions, my pipes will also be for sale soon...Glad I kept the stockers....But hate to take a huge hit on my 6-2-6's as I paid the full MSRP to have them dealer installed...Won't do that again...(Live and learn as they say)...

Drone issue, something to try

Hi guys, I drilled out my stock pipes front and back (got a little carried away).
    Anyway, I had the drone.
    When I was on holidays, I stopped and saw Jimmy at Tourque Masters, I had him remove the CAT's, I know some here don't agree with this, but I did this to improve the flow of the exhaust as I am waiting for the black Cobras, one unseen benefit of removing the CAT's was the drone was noticeably reduced. It is not bothersome at all now.
    There is no way to tell if adding the Cobra's will bring it back, but I am betting on No.....Good luck out there.
    Black Dragon project continues into the snowy season....stay tuned for more.

I talked with Mike at Cobra this afternoon and he assured me they are going to look into the drone issue with the 6-2-6 pipes and see if they can duplicate the noise issue and try to find a possible solution...I will try removing one of the baffles after I talk with them again in a week to see if this makes any difference..I am going to hold up on the baffle until the guy at Cobra has a chance to discuss this with the engineers and then go from there....Hopefully they can find a solution as this drone noise at highway speeds is killing my ears......
    Opas,

I'm sorry to hear that the exhaust is too loud for you. By any chance do you have an aftermarket windshield?

Just a heads up; We tested this exhaust with over 8 different sets of baffles until we got, what we thought was the correct tone for the bike. The baffles we ended up going with were the most quiet ones we could build without negatively affecting the performance of the bike. We will not be offering a quieter baffle for the Six-2-Six as of now, or any time in the near future. If you plan on removing one or more of the baffles, that will most likely only make it louder. We offered this exhaust with removable baffles since we knew some would prefer a louder bike, being that an F6B rider is different than a GoldWing rider. Also, it is difficult to create an aftermarket system for the GL1800 without creating some sort of drone. When comparing stock to aftermarket, there will always be more drone unfortunately.

I'm sorry that the drone is bothering you, but that is the most quiet we could get this particular system.

Have a great day.
    www.cobrausa.com
    Anything's Possible

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    This past Monday I had the fortune and opportunity to ride kdelders bike (kevin), and he has a very good tone to his Cobra 6-2-6 pipes. He has baffles in 2 pipes on each side, and the one pipes that does NOT have the baffle in it...on each side...is the longest pipe. So, look at your pipes...find the one that is longest on each side, remove the baffle from that ONE...on each side, and the sound is pretty darn good.
    How did you like the sound?
    www.cobrausa.com
    Anything's Possible