GPS Recommendations? Garmin Zumo 395LM - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Recommendations? Garmin Zumo 395LM

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    A good GPS is as far ahead of a smart phone that a smart phone is ahead of a paper map. All will work to keep you from getting lost and find routes. I use Micro Soft Streets and Maps together with Google Earth on my home computer to plan and route my trip turn by turn. Not what a program suggest as curvy roads but what I choose from looking at Google Earth and every road/turn. Then I rebuild/transfer to Base Camp and download it into my Zumo. E-mailing it or sharing in person via blue tooth to additional riders going on the trip is possible. Additionally if you are shown or find a road you like it is easily saved and can be incorporated into a future trip. The amount of information provided with ease can not be duplicated on the small screen of a phone.
    Pretty much what I do as well.
    Also I find that type of planning sets the routes into MY memory so if I was to loose the use of my electronic devices to an unforeseen issue I will remember much of the route plan and be able to continue.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

I found several rebuilt tom toms (several other brands) on ebay for $69.99. Mine has blue tooth, easy to set up, nice screen, gets me from point A to point B, works great. I have it on a RAM locking mount. If it rains, I take it off or put a zip lock bag & a HD rubber band or 2 to hold the bag. If it gets stolen, wet, dropped or whatever, I'm out $69.99, not 8 or 10x that.
    I have 4 gps, counting the 2 OEM in my car & truck. Looks to like they all use the same software. None of them can find the 4 lane from FL. turnpike to 441 -Mt Dora. They all tell me to "turn around when possible" & the screen looks like I'm in the middle of a pasture. Zipping along in a pasture @ 70+ mph, yea right.
    Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Garmin Zumo 660LM

I can't give any input yet on the Garmin Zumo 660LM, but I just ordered one from Amazon for $309. I've grown tired of struggling with car GPS units that never seem to stay connected to power as I ride. The cable going into the car GPS units always comes loose on me, or the 12v cig adapters lose contact. I've been using smart phones the last 1-2 years, but I have the same issue, compounded when I lose signal in remote areas. Of course, then there is the rain factor. I take a couple of longer trips each year where 10-12 hours per day on the bike are typical and every time I regret that I didn't purchase a true motorcycle GPS.
    I've put off taking the leap for too many years, so I finally pulled the trigger. Although the 660LM is a discontinued unit, there are still new units, complete with mc mounts, wiring and hardware, available with standard factory warranties. Since they are not the latest and greatest model, they come with a more palatable price of around $300. It has the features I want and need. The only feature it doesn't have that I would have liked is the "curvy road" routing option. Outside of that, I think I'll be happy with it. It fits my needs and my means.

-Jeff

Hi everybody ..

In France i'm using this kit ... without problem !

Config : Helmet Shoei (I recently got a new one because my old helmet was too tired) + bluetooth kit inside battery include (duration 1 DAY without charge) + support for my cell and for my F6B.

Final cost of .. 900 $ (850€) (include new helmet !)

I take every day my foot with news, music, phone call, GPS, SIRI, take off for pictures, video etc. sound directly in my ears ALWAYS with moderation (except for all little electric blues) or by using HP on the bike ...

No need GPS alone .. Finished ! (I was using before a GPS Tomtom Rider which was not really terrible !)

Whoop's .. excuse me for my poor english !9.jpg10.jpgAttachment 2531812.jpg13.jpg

The main reason I would like a GPS or smart phone app is to tell me , "hey this road will dead end or turn to gravel or dirt" many of my riding adventures half the day is determined by flip of coins to change direction at every hard surface roads intersection

Happy With Mine

Hi Friends, I've been the very proud owner of a 390 for about two years now an I'm not looking back. I too tried the phone maps and directions but found that when you got away from the city (to all the Good Roads) the phone had a tendency to loose GPS reception. I suppose this is largely due to the Carrier used but I've also heard that GPS's have more access to a wider array of satellites. I find that the biggest befits of the 390 over a phone are having a dedicated mount and power supply, immediate routing to gas stations, the ability to communicate with your Bluetooth rig (normal GPS's do not), Gloved hand operation as well as voice. And the tons of other features that the 390 offers like remembering where you parked or service and maintenance intervals. I know none of this stuff is essential to riding but it sure is convenient to have. You've already got one of the best bikes on the road why not get a great GPS to boot?
    2015 Blue F6B Deluxe, Mods: Bagger shield, Heli Bars, Garmin ZUMO, Beverage Butler, LED HIs/Lows, Pathfinder Switchbacks, Smoked Lenses. Kury Ergo IIIs, Iso foot rests, Transformer Passenger floor boards, Reflector replacement Lights, Trailer Isolation harness, Iso Grips, Smart Mount Backrest, Luggage rack, Homemade Lightning Strike, TBR Exhaust, ADD ON Hitch, Healtech Brake flasher, J&M upgraded speakers. K&N Air filter, LED Accent lights, Custom flag bar, Tritium Led Fog lights, Air Wings...

+2 on the 390. I got mine with the Lifetime Maps and as another rider said, haven't looked back since!
    Ride Safe, Ride Often

C

Mekong Delta/Can Tho/ Rung Sat- 8/66 ~ 8/68

I use Navigon app (Garmin) on my IPhone 6s+. Fits into the info center. Can purchase monthly service as needed. ($5 month or $30 yr or $60 lifetime)

They just added offline maps too.

Navigon

Do you know if the Navigon app allows route planning and the ability to avoid dirt roads?

I don't see avoiding dirt roads under route options. You can choose vehicle type that includes motorcycles. You could try classifying yourself as a truck or a car and that might keep side roads off limits by default.

Regardless of the gps unit try pulling out a road map when planning your gps route and compare the two to ensure you're getting the route you want.