Towing with a F6b
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing with a F6b

Towing with a F6b

Can anyone comment on how a B tows a trailer like a bunk house or lees-ure light camper?

I towed with a 1700 vaquero 2 yrs & found that I was shifting on the hills, maybe the 6th overdrive at highway/freeway speeds. Unfortunately due to someone running a red light the bike is gone & I find myself looking for a new one. Have owned many Honda's in the past & think it would be a wise purchase.

Chris
    Grasp Life By The Handlebars

Tows like a dream !

Stewy / Chris

Sorry, haven't towed a pop-up camper, always a cargo trailer but I'm towing roughly 300 lbs fully loaded. When towing my trailer with my 2015 F6, I pretty much can't tell it's there, save for those times when the trailer wheels hit a bump or going up a driveway for instance. I can't recall any time when I thought I needed more power. I drive pretty much the same whether the trailers behind me or not. What I do notice is the need for increased braking distance. The added weight definitely adds to your stopping distance but that would be true with any bike/trailer setup. The trailers you mentioned are available with brakes I believe and I would definitely recommend that option. My trailer is a 2016 Lumina XL with a swivel coupler and a Bushtec hitch. I've towed before but this setup is sweeeet . . . .

Attachment 25338Attachment 25339

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post
    Stewy / Chris

Sorry, haven't towed a pop-up camper, always a cargo trailer but I'm towing roughly 300 lbs fully loaded. When towing my trailer with my 2015 F6, I pretty much can't tell it's there, save for those times when the trailer wheels hit a bump or going up a driveway for instance. I can't recall any time when I thought I needed more power. I drive pretty much the same whether the trailers behind me or not. What I do notice is the need for increased braking distance. The added weight definitely adds to your stopping distance but that would be true with any bike/trailer setup. The trailers you mentioned are available with brakes I believe and I would definitely recommend that option. My trailer is a 2016 Lumina XL with a swivel coupler and a Bushtec hitch. I've towed before but this setup is sweeeet . . . .

Attachment 25338Attachment 25339
    "Never thought you needed more power", that's exactly what I'm looking for. No problems climbing hills or the weight swaying the rear, My trailer is 265 + gear so i'm pushing 400 lbs. Yes your right in regards to stopping, I drive a different style when pulling the trailer & the swivel awesome. No brakes on trailer.
    There is a bike show in 3 weeks, hope they have a F6 to check out.
    So the Bushtec hitch is strong enough?

Attachment 25340

Check out This Guy's Blog

Looks like he pulled a camper and did very well with it.

http://monetbridge.blogspot.ca/

Attachment 25340

You bet, IMHO the Bushtec is the way to go. A little expensive but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by pickensace View Post
    Looks like he pulled a camper and did very well with it.

http://monetbridge.blogspot.ca/

Nice Trip, if only I was retired or could win the lotto, Never get far without the Mrs, she rides her own & jumps at every chance to get out on the road, I'm sure that is the bunkhouse trailer he was towing, heavier than mine so I guess it will hall.

I pull a bunkhouse king behind mine. I use to pull it behind my 1600 Vulcan Nomad and experienced the same things as you are experiencing with your 1700. With the B at times i forget it's even back there and it pulls so much better with the B. Only thing i can't comment on is mountain riding with the camper. I haven't done any of that yet but will sometime this year. We normally go South to Florida when we use the camper.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post

Attachment 25340

You bet, IMHO the Bushtec is the way to go. A little expensive but worth it.
    What's nice about the Bushtec hitch is that you can get it with either their unique adapter or a ball type adapter. I went with a ball since I was not buying one of their outstanding trailers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by flamed20 View Post
    I pull a bunkhouse king behind mine. I use to pull it behind my 1600 Vulcan Nomad and experienced the same things as you are experiencing with your 1700. With the B at times i forget it's even back there and it pulls so much better with the B. Only thing i can't comment on is mountain riding with the camper. I haven't done any of that yet but will sometime this year. We normally go South to Florida when we use the camper.
    I was kinda expecting that the B would do the job, I see lots of wings pulling these trailers. I hope I like the feel of the B when I get to see one up front & personal. If I don't, not sure what I would look at!
    Did you have any issues installing the trailer hitch & wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by stewy View Post
    Did you have any issues installing the trailer hitch & wiring?
    Installing the Bushtec hitch was a real chore for me. There are basically four struts, two upper (left and right) and two lower (left and right). Also, the center hitch portion gets bolted in after the struts are installed.

The left lower was a breeze but the rest of them were a real bear. I removed the right hand muffler to make installing the lower right strut easier and the two upper struts had to be "shaped" or "formed" in order to fit properly. Also, I replaced all the factory plain nuts with nylocs. If anyone tells you it's a straight "bolt on", well, it wasn't for me, but after everything was in, it's rock solid and I'd buy it again. Wiring was a no brainer (provided your into wiring).

Lastly, I was told by fellow members (and Bustec) that the rear wheel (with standard MC tire) is removable from the rear as specified in the manual. Well, that's true to an extent. It will come out, but it won't go back in the same way. Just couldn't push it past the left hand struts. My advice, either lay the bike down to change the tire, use a good jack like J&S or Pitbull to get the bike up in the air or take it to your dealer.

Good luck with what ever you decide