Madstad! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Madstad!

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    Finally got my Madstad installed. So far so good. I had one before on my HD RG, but all adjustments needed tools, this one is nice, knobs make it toolless adjusting.
    Attachment 3170
    Chipmaker,

Looks like you got the shorter 8" Base Shield (as measured from the top of the Base Shield to the base of the faring gasket)? Also looks like you have the Outer Shield adjusted almost all the way UP, is that correct and is this your preferred shield position for best wind protection?

As pictured is the top of the Outer Shield approximately 12" above the base of the faring gasket?

From the gasket to top of base = 7". After riding a bunch yesterday, shield is now at 11.5".
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

I don't see on the site where you can choose what size base shield you want.

There is no choice for base shield.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    I don't see on the site where you can choose what size base shield you want.
    Sorry, forgot to include that specific point in my post. If you call Madstad when ordering and ask for the 10" Base Shield you will get it.

This photo is from the Madstad site showing the GL1800 10" Base Shield (10 inches measured from the top of the Base Shield to the Base or Bottom of the faring gasket:

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    Sorry, forgot to include that specific point in my post. If you call Madstad when ordering and ask for the 10" Base Shield you will get it.

This photo is from the Madstad site showing the GL1800 10" Base Shield (10 inches measured from the top of the Base Shield to the Base or Bottom of the faring gasket:
    Thanks.

Chip, you going with us on Saturday? Then I could check out your shield.

From the gasket to top of base = 7". After riding a bunch yesterday, shield is now at 11.5".
    Chipmaker, you have what I'll call the 8" Base Shield (8 inches measured from the top of the Base Shield to the Base or Bottom of the faring gasket). At 6'-2" I have the top of my Outer Shield set approx 12" above the faring gasket. I'm 4" taller than you yet we run the same approx shield height? Do you have the stock seat or an aftermarket that sets you up a bit from stock?

I can set the top of my 11" Outer Shield all the way UP to 14" above the faring gasket however the wind protection is neither improved nor diminished for me or my passenger at the higher setting. Have not ridden in rain yet but the extra height may be helpful there??? Will let you guys know when I have tested that out.

I guess the question that has yet to be answered is: Does the taller Base Shield offer any added wind protection effect compared to the shorter Base Shield? On my set-up there is a TON of air going between the Outer Shield and Base Shield. It's like a 70 mph air curtain. My 10" Base is 25% taller than the 8" base. I would think that much added Base Shield area would have more of a channeling effect improving performance but could be wrong?

It will be interesting to see what Bruce reports, he is waiting for a 9" Base Shield to swap out with his 8", 12/5% added height.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Thanks.

Chip, you going with us on Saturday? Then I could check out your shield.
    I'll be working.

At 80 mph the wind goes over my head by 2", and I look way over it. Just as I wanted. Maybe u guys are over thinking it. Either it does what u want or it doesn't. Mine does. This is my second Madstad. First was on RG.
    I wouldn't change a thing.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Maybe u guys are over thinking it.
    Or perhaps using it / trying to make it work like another semi-similar system?

Can't confirm this as 100% fact, but I believe the basic function of the base on a Madstad is structural support for bracket attachment only, not necessarily for wind movement. (Check out the V-strom shields and the Victory shields)

Overall, I believe the sole, basic function of a Madstad is to hold a shield out in front of you while letting air come up behind it,, kinda like holding just one shield out in front of yourself with your hands, tilting it to redirect the air,,,

Firecreek is similar, and also lets air up under, but without the rake kit, it's basically an 'extendable' shield,,,

Here's another thought,,, I spent untold amounts of time w/an adjustable-rake MS Batwing fairing. I had at least 7 different shields for it in all different shapes and sizes, but adjusting the rake was key in smoothing and directing the air. 'Flip' shields will stir the shnit out of the air beyond a certain speed, while plain old 'flat' shields worked best for me and my set up.

BUT,,, shields are like seats,,, one size does not fit all!!!

Looking for additional comments. Running a Cee Bailey 15", want less buffet and noise. 5'11". Noise is less with a 3/4 helmet than a full. I'd rather ride with a full.