RPM needle flickering!!

Thread: RPM needle flickering!!

RPM needle flickering!!

Got my bike from the dealer yesterday. Installed After-market cruise control. Took the bike for test ride. Everything works great. Got home after 70 mile test ride. As I was closer to house I saw that the RPM needle started to flicker. Is this a big Issue ? Cuz I leave for Sturgis on Tuesday.

You are the first for this one.......who needs a RPM needle....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Hmmm. Flickering. I guess "flickering" needs to be symptomized...what's actually happening?
    As in the "light" on the tach needle is going off and on? Or is the needle in fact quivering about a few hundred RPMs?

Light? No biggie. Call the dealer, inform them that they botched something and you'll get back to them after your trip. Hopefully it's just a connector that isn't seated all the way.

Or "flickering" as in needle indicator quivering +/- couple hundred RPMs?
    As long as the tach needle is, in fact lying.....as long as you know that the engine isn't actually doing that as a result of the modification, you'll be safe - but maybe an intermittent connection can burn out an indicator part?
    If the engine is unusually varying in RPMs with a constant throttle setting - especially after a cruise control installation - I'd get it checked before the trip. Again, either way, hopefully it is a connector that isn't seated al the way.

Best of luck.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    You are the first for this one.......who needs a RPM needle....
    It Sucks!! I just hope it's not a major issue. It started only after I Installed the Cruise ctrl. I'm lil nervous, I leave for Sturgis on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Hmmm. Flickering. I guess "flickering" needs to be symptomized...what's actually happening?
    As in the "light" on the tach needle is going off and on? Or is the needle in fact quivering about a few hundred RPMs?

Light? No biggie. Call the dealer, inform them that they botched something and you'll get back to them after your trip. Hopefully it's just a connector that isn't seated all the way.

Or "flickering" as in needle indicator quivering +/- couple hundred RPMs?
    As long as the tach needle is, in fact lying.....as long as you know that the engine isn't actually doing that as a result of the modification, you'll be safe - but maybe an intermittent connection can burn out an indicator part?
    If the engine is unusually varying in RPMs with a constant throttle setting - especially after a cruise control installation - I'd get it checked before the trip. Again, either way, hopefully it is a connector that isn't seated al the way.

Best of luck.

It's just the needle jumping up and down from 2 to 3 or 4k RPM. And sometimes the needle is dead. No issues with actual engine rpms, engine seems to be normal, its just the needle that is acting up.

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post
    It's just the needle jumping up and down from 2 to 3 or 4k RPM. And sometimes the needle is dead. No issues with actual engine rpms, engine seems to be normal, its just the needle that is acting up.
    Copy. They probably didn't reconnect something all the way and it came "slightly more" loose on your ride home.
    As I wrote, my only concern would be the actual electrical/mechanical gizmo "that translates the RPM reading from the ECU to something us mere mortals can understand" burning out due to being fed an intermittent signal.

Since they installed it, I'd call the dealer and tell them what's going on. They may want to make it right tomorrow morning.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce