why did Victory Motorcycles fail? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why did Victory Motorcycles fail?

How did the metric cruisers make it this far then? Star cruisers have been around as long as the Vics, same with the other brands. Is it because they were/are cheaper, and Vic tried to compete at the price point of H-D (or a tad below)? Is it because Honda, Yami, Suzook and Kawi are huge companies with essentially bottomless resources that can afford to carry a line that is not all that profitable? (Isn't Suzuki in the Japanese equivalent of bankruptcy right now, though?)

IF this is the case...that the metric cruisers were / are just more affordable...then what they did was genius. They know that cruiser riders often are entry level folks new to the sport, or veteran occasional riders, who love the looks and sound of an H-D but can't justify the bank required to own one, so they get a VStar 950 or a Boulevard or whatever, at half the cost instead.

On a side note, these are the worst bikes for a novice rider to be on...I speak from personal experience...the weight, extended rake, riding position, etc. make them poor handling machines in the hands of an inexperienced rider...just my opinion, of course.

So, what are we to learn here...that there is a limited upmarket for overpriced cruisers, and let's face it, the Vic was overpriced for what you got. When I looked at one in Oct 2015 and gave it the once and twice over, it was a beautiful bike to look at it, but it was only surface level. Lots of cheap feeling parts, switches, levers, instruments. It basically was an air-cooled twin (pretty cheap to make) surrounded by low-rate plastic and accessories. I walked out and went to the Honda dealer and purchased the F6B. What is Polaris thinking? My 2004 VStar, for all its faults, was built well with high quality parts. The MSRP on that Vic was $22,000 for God's sake. H-D gets away with the same thing because of their image and brand. Vic couldn't pull that off.

I will say that, for an aging market, it sure is attractive to the manufacturers because everyone has /is taking a stab at it. What drives them to the H-D market? Is it that there is so much money to be made by packaging up a Vtwin into a bunch of plastic and asking $25K for it? Is it the accessory market?

One last note: I rode an Indian Chieftain for about 100 miles last fall. Great bike, way better than the Vic CC Tour I test drove. Maybe they will make it in this market, as long as it lasts, and settle for a nice duopoly with H-D owning a majority share but leaving enough Indian buyers to keep the Polaris brass lighting their next cigar.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

victory

I have a 2005 Victory Vegas. It has 41000 trouble free miles on it. I had intentions of trading it in when the 2014 indians arrived. The dealers where arrogant and said victory's have no trade in value. They offered me $3800 for my Victory which had 32000 miles on it at that time. They also said if i wanted to add an Indian trunk it would cost an extra $3400 almost an even trade for my bike. Then i decided to look at an F6B. ended up keeping my victory along with a new F6B and $7000 in the bank. I have 20000 carefree miles on F6B and no regrets.

After owning two different Victory's I will say they were really nice bikes and mostly trouble free, at least to me....But the majority of Victory dealers were just plain "lousy" with incompetent service departments, lousy parts inventory, and just plain poorly run in my opinion...Polaris Industries is not very high on my list of good companies and I wouldn't be surprised to see Indian go down the tubes along with Victory!!!....Piss poor management at the top is a reason for lousy marketing, lousy dealers, and a poorly run outfit!!!...Upside is they are keeping their shareholders happy and that is all that counts today......Ride safe

MOTUS how will they fair?

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Interesting read. Looks like Polaris failed Victory more than Victory failed Polaris.
    Very well said.

I wonder what will happen to another high priced (BUT VERY DIFFERENT) American made motorcycle: http://motusmotorcycles.com/

These new breed, made in Alabama, bikes are very techno savy and many more of the parts are actually made in the USA than Indian, Victory or HD. Had I not already spent my motorcycle change on my Indian and Honda's I probably would have given Motus the mortgage to my house.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

Quote Originally Posted by tiltingf6b View Post
    Very well said.

I wonder what will happen to another high priced (BUT VERY DIFFERENT) American made motorcycle: http://motusmotorcycles.com/

These new breed, made in Alabama, bikes are very techno savy and many more of the parts are actually made in the USA than Indian, Victory or HD. Had I not already spent my motorcycle change on my Indian and Honda's I probably would have given Motus the mortgage to my house.
    Honestly, they will struggle and probably fail. New comers to the market will have a hard time getting going as most dedicated riders will not like the idea of hopping on a bike and headed across country without a reliable dealer network. Dealers around the country are not making the killing that they once were and I bet there is not a line of dealers willing to shell out floor plan money on a new brand of bike. Like Victory when they first got going all around me I knew of only one dealer and it was close to 100 miles away, today I knew of only three and one of them failed before Victory did as he tried to be a Victory only dealer.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Sales

I'm not sure if it's true or not (?) but I had a Indian / Victory dealer tell me that Victory only sold around 10,000 bikes a year. That seems unbelievable to me that they could even stay in business for 18 years with those kind of numbers, but...

Quote Originally Posted by No Handle Sam View Post
    I'm not sure if it's true or not (?) but I had a Indian / Victory dealer tell me that Victory only sold around 10,000 bikes a year. That seems unbelievable to me that they could even stay in business for 18 years with those kind of numbers, but...
    Victory sales went in the "tank" around 2014, so I was told, and since then have not sold enough bikes to turn a profit for Polaris...Suppose Indian has anything to do with the demise of Victory????....Not hard to figure that one out....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    Honestly, they will struggle and probably fail. New comers to the market will have a hard time getting going as most dedicated riders will not like the idea of hopping on a bike and headed across country without a reliable dealer network. Dealers around the country are not making the killing that they once were and I bet there is not a line of dealers willing to shell out floor plan money on a new brand of bike. Like Victory when they first got going all around me I knew of only one dealer and it was close to 100 miles away, today I knew of only three and one of them failed before Victory did as he tried to be a Victory only dealer.
    As for your point about dealers not making a killing anymore, here is an example...my Yamaha snowmobile dealer, also a Suzuki and Yamaha motorcycle dealer, told me his markup in the 70s and 80s was about 20%...he had a lot to work with off MSRP. Now, his markup hovers around 8%, and that is only when there are no manufacturer incentives that the dealer has to absorb some of the cost of. For example, on a $500 cash back deal, the dealer has to foot $250 of that; or accessories are part of the promotion, the dealer has to pay for part of that, too, or sell at cost.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Victory sales went in the "tank" around 2014, so I was told, and since then have not sold enough bikes to turn a profit for Polaris...Suppose Indian has anything to do with the demise of Victory????....Not hard to figure that one out....Ride safe
    Strange. Seems as though I was seeing more and more Victorys on the road. Actual data will always trump perception.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by tiltingf6b View Post
    Very well said.

WOW. Those are EXPENSIVE bikes. Hopefully they are set up as a "made to order" bike because they won't sell many. I wish them, and any American company, the best.

How about an entry level cruiser with some up-models available that top out around $15k? I am thinking that could tap into the market that loves the H-D style but can't afford one.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6