Progressive Forks and Shock
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progressive Forks and Shock

Progressive Forks and Shock

I have been meaning to post a thread on the performance of my new Progressive forks and shock that I installed on my 2013 F6B, but riding overruled writing. Recently however, I took an 1,800 mile+ trip down to the Big Bend area of Texas, just to put my new suspension through its paces. Riding in this mountainous area can really test the handling of the bike -- many, many tight curves and switchbacks, made even more demanding by either simultaneous steep climbs or drops. My F6B handled like a champ. I could really tell the surface-holding performance of those Progressive forks, and I would guess that I was able to add around 20% to the speed at which I entered and exited corners...based on the new suspension.

In addition, my new suspension added a great deal to the handling of my F6B at slow speeds...no small consideration for me.

I always thought of the F6B as a pretty significant upgrade in handling, when compared to the classic Goldwing. That handling is made even much better with Progressive forks and shock.

Attachment 22222

[QUOTE=indadman;127451]
    I always thought of the F6B as a pretty significant upgrade in handling, when compared to the classic Goldwing. That handling is made even much better with Progressive forks and shock.

Did you install the Progressive springs or the cartridges? I know they work well on older bikes where there is some sag in the original springs, but have been curious as to how they perform in a new bike.

I did just the springs on mine (front/rear) and while it did help with the handling and gives a way better ride I feel the front could still be a whole lot better.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

My Baby handles fairly well in my opinion, but I can see some needs for improvement. My tendency is not to invest in 'farkles, but things that make my bike better.
    So..a couple of questions for the wise men.
    1.Which is better -cartridges or springs?
    2.Front and rear or just front?
    3. Does it last or is this something I will be replacing every two /three years?
    I ride the mountains mostly with long trips 1000+miles a couple times a year.

Me too! Looking forward to input from others who have done the upgrades with Progressive products.
    Ride Safe, Ride Often

C

Mekong Delta/Can Tho/ Rung Sat- 8/66 ~ 8/68

Do the progressive springs stop the wheel hop in the front end in higher speed turns?

I put them in my 1981 CB750K a month ago and the bike is like a completely different bike. The handling is much better than it was before. But that was a 35 year old bike with old springs. I only had around 6500 miles on it so the springs should have been in fairly decent shape. I just pulled the caps and dropped in the new progressive springs with a supplied spacer and it was completed in 30 minutes. ($80.00 for the Progressive springs)

Is that all we need to do on the F6B? (I will bet the parts are more expensive for the F6B)
    Steve

I had the Monotubes installed and loved the effect. No more bone jaring hits, the bike smoothed out and tracked much better. I have my GL in the shop as I type. springs will be installed by Thursday morning. I have measured the height of the front end to see if the bike raises as I was told? I will post when I get a chance to ride it and test it. IMHO the rear shock is not worth the money to change, I never had a issue with the back.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by indadman View Post
    I have been meaning to post a thread on the performance of my new Progressive forks and shock that I installed on my 2013 F6B, but riding overruled writing. Recently however, I took an 1,800 mile+ trip down to the Big Bend area of Texas, just to put my new suspension through its paces. Riding in this mountainous area can really test the handling of the bike -- many, many tight curves and switchbacks, made even more demanding by either simultaneous steep climbs or drops. My F6B handled like a champ. I could really tell the surface-holding performance of those Progressive forks, and I would guess that I was able to add around 20% to the speed at which I entered and exited corners...based on the new suspension.

In addition, my new suspension added a great deal to the handling of my F6B at slow speeds...no small consideration for me.

Attachment 22222
    Guys -

I just did this upgrade last week and this is my recommendation.
    STOP what you are doing right now and run to get the Progressive springs installed right away. Holy smokes does the bike perform like a sports bike now. It is very well planted and can take curves at a higher entry speed. Bike feels solid and planted.

One word of caution - it will no longer be a cushy ride. You will feel a bit of harshness up front but that is expected on a stronger spring setup.

Did not do the rear spring - I feel that on the middle setting it is strong enough for me. 5'10" and 190lbs. The springs did lower the bike about 1".
    2016 Honda F6B Deluxe . Matte Pearl White . Klock Werks Fairing

How did you do it? Do you just take the caps off like my 81 CB750K and drop in the springs and spacer?

I see it needs cartridges / did you do it yourself? I found a video on youtube and it did not look too hard to complete the job myself.
    What do you guys think?