Did you wet your Ultimate? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you wet your Ultimate?

Rub beeswax into the stitching?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

There are products that will seal the seams temporarily such as Doc Baileys and protect all, Baileys has a wax byproduct. It seemed to work well on my mustang seat.

Rich

My seat is a bit slick as well so I expect it was treated with something. I will contact Ultimate about getting a cover but was curious about some of your actual experiences.

There is no room between the seat and the bike to slip the cover under...it was incredibly frustrating. I want to figure out something for when I travel and leave it parked overnight...that dew can get pretty heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    There is no room between the seat and the bike to slip the cover under...it was incredibly frustrating. I want to figure out something for when I travel and leave it parked overnight...that dew can get pretty heavy!
    If you have done the "two washers" trick on the front catch of your Ultimate seat; there is room to coax the front of the Ultimate seat's rain cover so it's secured between the front of the seat and the tank. Been there, done it.

The tight spot that I have found is the rear of the Ultimate seat; due to the OEM backrest and luggage rack (if you have one). You can still push the seat cover adequately enough into that area and though it won't completely stretch around the back of the seat; it's enough for protection.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by moosedog View Post
    Fairly new convert to the Ultimate King which was purchased used through this site (thanks Crazy Horse). Completely love this seat except that I have read that the seat is not water proof. Apparently, the seats are usually shipped new with a rain cover but this one did not come with one. Has anyone here been caught in a good rain without the cover? Did it soak up water and take days to dry out? Can the seat be treated with something adequately so as not to need the cover? Thanks for the help.
    I'm glad you're asking that question. I was reading their website today and I noticed that they include a rain cover for the seat at no charge, which leads me to believe it's necessary. Cutting up a seat to install a driver's backrest makes me uneasy and a deal breaker if the seat will soak up water. Reading over their documentation it seems to be a concern for them also.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I'm glad you're asking that question. I was reading their website today and I noticed that they include a rain cover for the seat at no charge, which leads me to believe it's necessary. Cutting up a seat to install a driver's backrest makes me uneasy and a deal breaker if the seat will soak up water. Reading over their documentation it seems to be a concern for them also.
    That's interesting. I had to pay additional for my raincover when I ordered my Ultimate seat.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I thought that at first too when I started to read about the Ultimate seats. One ride on one though convinced me I would deal with the rain issue one way or another. The seat is that good. If you are still comfortable on the stock seat then stay with it. I made it a year and 12000 miles on the stocker and then made the mistake of trying a friends Ultimate. As reported in this thread, the seat may not be as susceptible to rain as we may think. Perhaps Ultimate is just trying to cover all bases as a responsible company should by including the rain cover. I will buy the cover and enjoy this seat as I enjoy the incredible bike it sits on.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    That's interesting. I had to pay additional for my raincover when I ordered my Ultimate seat.
    I THINK it is free if you get the seat and backrest as a package.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Yes, and if you try to force it, the cover rips.
    I tried to install my ride on rain cover only for the purpose of learning how to install it...... and I ripped the cover trying to get it between the front of the seat and the bike.
    I haven't contacted Ultimate about it because I'm not sure I'll ever need it. I am a fair weather rider
    Riding the upward spiral.