More finish problems

Thread: More finish problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gumby, I hear ya...and support ya...but the first two questions that come to my mind are:

Where do you live ? State and closest big city ?

And what it the last 4 of your VIN ?

To "me", those are important pieces of information that need to be asked. The WHERE...as it may possibly relate to wear indicators such as salty air, dry, arrid conditions, etc,, etc. The VIN...as it may possibly relate to a pattern shown by many other bikes with a grouping of VIN's close to yours.

Personally...I have owned a LOT of Honda product, and I have no doubt at all that Honda will cover such items. I will say that I never had these kinds of issues with any of my 5 previous Wings...3 of which were 1800 Wings...but things have changed...painting methods have changed, and suppliers have changed, especially since the Wing production loine was moved from Ohio to Japan.

I spoke on the phone last Friday...2 days ago...with Honda customer service again regarding the paint issue, just as a reminder...do not forget me for "whenever" Honda does get around to fixing the problem. The employee did acknowledge that Honda is well aware of the problem, and is still gathering info...to determine a resolution.

It is VERY important that each and every one of the F6B owners that has bad paint...contact Honda to file the complaint officially.

So, Gumby, for my own personal info needs, where do you live, and what are your VIN last 4 ?

Cool

I see it as a design flaw...drill a hole in the bottom for water to drain out...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I see it as a design flaw...drill a hole in the bottom for water to drain out...
    I did noticed my Torq Master pipes have a little drain hole inside the pipe even though there is no lip on the flair.
    image.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chicago area. No salt in the air. Lots on the street, but I never rode it when there was any chance of that. Not even warm winter days.

VIN 0793

I'm sure it's condensation. It does get a lot of short trips. Enough to get water vapor in the pipes, but not enough to burn it off.

Still. I wouldn't expect this at this mileage.

I took it to the local dealer instead of where I bought it at.

The first thing he says upon seeing the rust is, "maybe they didn't prep it right."

Honestly? You can't look at a problem and see anything else but to blame another dealer?
    It clearly has nothing to do with how it was assembled from the crate.

He did take pics and is sending it in. We'll see how it goes.

Anybody else check their pipes yet?

IamBatmanF6B
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Yep. Agreed 100%

Because an unfinished hole won't rust?

The hole needs to be drilled before its chromed.

And before the ends get all rusted. Maybe I'll try to drill a hole and dab some high heat paint on the edges with the replacements.

Obviously if the bike was a couple of years older i wouldn't care, but it should not do this out of the box.

IamBatmanF6B
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Because an unfinished hole won't rust?

The hole needs to be drilled before its chromed.

And before the ends get all rusted. Maybe I'll try to drill a hole and dab some high heat paint on the edges with the replacements.

Obviously if the bike was a couple of years older i wouldn't care, but it should not do this out of the box.
    Agreed 100% on your point. I am not happy with the paint finish. Also agree with the hole needing to be drilled before chroming. It doesn't sound like Honda is really addressing any of these issue. Hopefully 2014 models will have a better finish and the exhaust will have a drain hole to drain off the moisture.

Honda is going to replace them under the 45 day cosmetic warranty.

The dealer can't get the bike in until next Thursday to do the install, but that's fine.

At first he wanted to have the bike in the shop before they would order the parts.

I was willing to give him a card number to cover the cost of the tips rather than let my bike be held as a hostage for a week. They went ahead and just ordered them.

Well once the new arrive you better take them right back off, take them to a good plating company and have them chromed properly. PERSONALLY I like the colored chrome powder coating and would look into that over winter.

ps... rust within 6 months doesn't fall within cosmetic, it falls within "materials and workmanship" and therefore is covered for the entirety of the warranty. I know this because I had a similar issue with a Victory end cap.

pss... some fellas are ceramic coating their pipes on the BMW's, here is a link: http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/premium-colors/