Where do I get an OEM Honda key?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I get an OEM Honda key?

Where do I get an OEM Honda key?

I like the look of the original key that came with the bike. Where do I get a few spare original keys? I have a few Home Depot keys I used to make the knobs for glove box and a few other spare keys. I like the original keys the best!!!!

I also tried using one of my knob keys for the trunk lock and it does not seem to work. Does it go in farther than the glove box and the gas cover? Or do I need a bigger knob to get better leverage?
    Steve

The glove box and fuel door are flush. The saddle bag lock is recessed. If you used the radio knobs the key will not go in far enough. I discovered that after I'd cut all 3 keys. I ended up using a black wire nut as it fit into the recessed area. I did have to remove the guts of the wire nut then fit it then epoxy it.

Dealer can order keys if you have the key code.
    Standby though
    ~$40 each....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Thank you for the info about the saddle bag key knob. I will try making a different deeper key for that purpose.

By the way I don't like the original keys that much. $40.00 (I will live with my 3 for $5.00 spares)
    Can't you just get a blank? I can imagine if you need to order by the code that the dealer would rape you but just to have another key blank cut to match your existing key. Sounds like a lot of bull!!!
    Steve

Ebay has a bunch of blank keys for the GL1800. Some of them are OEM and some are knockoffs.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+blank&_sop=10
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

I ordered an extra OEM key which comes to the dealer blank and then was cut. I was told that the OEM blank has a chip in it matched to the ignition, thus Home Depot, etc. keys will not work in the ignition. I also bought Home Depot blanks, had them cut for use in the gas, glove, trunk etc. and they would not start the bike although they fit the ignition. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 114th COBRA View Post
    I was told that the OEM blank has a chip in it matched to the ignition, thus Home Depot, etc. keys will not work in the ignition.
    I had a spare key without a chip cut at Ace Hardware. It turned in the ignition, but I don't think I actually hit the start button. I hid the spare on my bike, but it is kind of a pain to get at. I'm going to have to dig it out now and see if works.
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

I have the home depot keys that I used to make the gas cap knob and they do start the ignition. I have had some made at a local locksmith recommended by the Honda dealer who said they do not make keys.

All of these keys work the ignition and will lock the handlebars.

I do not believe there is a chip in the F6B keys.
    Steve

These keys without the chip will also start the bike.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
    I had a spare key without a chip cut at Ace Hardware. It turned in the ignition, but I don't think I actually hit the start button. I hid the spare on my bike, but it is kind of a pain to get at. I'm going to have to dig it out now and see if works.
    Same here...I got them there for the key mod. I wonder now also, not that it matters much!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.