Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
Ignorance of the law is never a defense nor an excuse. How else is the officer going to know if you are in the vicinity of your home if he can't identify where you live? He's going to take your word for it? You answered your own question.
And again as I asked originally please show me the statute that says I must carry ID on me at all times. My quick research into subject pretty much says the same thing as Dadeo here:

Quote Originally Posted by dadeo View Post
The bottom line here is that an LEO must have a reasonable reason for bothering you.

Here is what I know, thanks to my Dad who was an attorney for years in crime ridden Syracuse NY. He always told us that we should carry ID when out, but it is not required by law for most situations - - - like if you are just out walking the dog. There are obvious exceptions: buying or carrying alcohol; operating a vehicle on public waterways, lands or roads; hunting and fishing; carrying a gun; voting (recently); etc.

He told us that you SHOULD ALWAYS treat an LEO with respect and COURTESY. He also said that we had to identify ourselves to an LEO when asked. But that we had the right to see the LEO's own badge/ID before showing or telling them our own name and address. This establishes that the person is indeed an LEO (yes, some wackos like to impersonate LEOs ). Security guards should be treated the same as LEOs, despite that in many states they have no right to do more than call an LEO.
A quick search said basically the same in Washington State and even went further to say specifically you do not have to carry ID on you at all times and if you were stopped by a uniformed LEO stating your name, DOB and address covered most interactions. Where it did get out in the weeds for me was being able to refuse to answer until such time has you are being charged with a civil infraction. Your local area may very well have a more stringent ordinance on ID's but by and large it appears most states do not require a person to carry ID when they are not doing something that would require it such as buying or carrying alcohol, operating a vehicle on public waterways, lands or roads; hunting and fishing and carrying a gun. Those are the most common ones although I am sure there are others. I have a co-worker who is a former LEO that I have not gotten to speak with on the subject yet to get his take on the matter. I am more curious than concerned, however conversations with him about these types of matters have always been interesting.