TPMS... nothing but crap - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TPMS... nothing but crap

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    I guess you skipped post #26 above with this link

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4...highlight=tpms
    I did see the thread, and saw you were working on one. The reason I wanted it interfacing to the original honda sensors is the goldwings that DO have the system, have a light on the dash that will never go off (short of redoing a bunch of wires) if their default sensors aren't installed. So if you remove the default sensors, you're screwed.

Making your own sensors and receiver works too, just doesn't interface with the stock setup.

I chose the FOBO because it will do what I need for a reasonable price and it warns me before I ride (and in the living room).
    At home I can still put air in the tire while the tires are cold and get accurate readings. Once on the road it will warn me if the pressure drops a lot. I guess you can get a feel for how the pressure changes with the temperature. It reads both pressure and temp (but does not compensate for the temp)

I want this to be successful because I can get it for the cars and the bikes and then I can check my daughters and wife's car from the house.

The jury is still out with most people on the forum from what I have read. So for my $100.00 I no longer have to crawl under the bike to check the tire pressure. I am no expert but this gives accurate enough pressure readings and will warn me before I ride when I am still at home next to my air compressor. (Not bad for $100.00)

Steve

Good deal Steven; I like those usability features.

Accuracy and precision are pretty much a given and problems should be rare. There's only a handful of manufacturers who make automotive pressure sensors and all have pretty much the same accuracy spec. The differences, and the problems if any, will come from how well each vendor designs the supporting circuitry and software.

As for compensating for temperature, that's not a big deal. You check and set pressure when the tire is cold, and it matters little if the pressure rises a few psi with temperature. Further, the compensation routine is handled by the IC in the pressure sensor... and it requires extra power from the battery to run. The vendor is actually maximizing battery life by minimizing the amount of work the IC needs to do. I'd gladly accept this "limitation" if it buys only a few extra months of operation over the span of several years.

FOBO TPMS

One thing I forgot to mention is the batteries can easily be changed. The tire sensor is on the valve stem. I bought the t shaped valve stem replacements so I can leave the pressure sensor on and add air as needed. I will add the new valve stems when I change the tires. For now I have to remove the sensor to add air. I use a pressure gauge when I add air (I guess this is my quality control to make sure the sensors are reporting accurate).
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    FOBO TPMS

One thing I forgot to mention is the batteries can easily be changed. The tire sensor is on the valve stem. I bought the t shaped valve stem replacements so I can leave the pressure sensor on and add air as needed. I will add the new valve stems when I change the tires. For now I have to remove the sensor to add air. I use a pressure gauge when I add air (I guess this is my quality control to make sure the sensors are reporting accurate).
    Steve

wishing i had waited one more day. Oh well.

Sorry Press; I shoulda mentioned that none of the Bluetooth linked devices have been captured.

Maybe Regitar will take it back...

Oh man, not your fault! Thanks though. I missed that part, totally on me.

I am going to check I the returns, but at the same time, I know this is a solid solution..

I was private messaged about where to find the guy I bought the system from: (so I thought I would share my response)

I bought the system from a guy I found on the GL1800 forum.
    buckskin55@sbcglobal.net
    He was real nice to deal with (arrived within a day or two)

Remember to order the black / he sent me the silver (not a big deal)

I like the system / as I said I am not an expert. It seems accurate when I add air with my own pressure gauge it reports the same pressure within a pound. I like that it warns me before I get on the bike and if I have it on a second bike or on the cars it will warn me about those also. I always have my cell with me when I ride the bike or the car. It allows me to check the air when the tires are cold and will warn me if I loose a lot of air on the road. I don't know how great it would be on the road if you just loose a few pounds because it does not compensate for temp. It does report both temp and air so you can get a feel after using it for a while how much pressure it should be at operating temp.

Steve

FOBO TPMS

I picked up a set of the FOBO's in Branson yesterday. I love the way it works and the fact that you can change the battery. I have information about here to get the but I won't post ... Trying to stay inline with forum rules and guidelines.

Pm me if you like !

If the FOBO sensors are BT then are they always trying to sync? Which would lead to a shorter battery life?
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt