general seat question
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: general seat question

general seat question

I am moderately satisfied with the stock seat for my local driving (30-50 miles). I recently took an 1800 mile trip and needed an air pad to make it bearable. Frankly after a while my n*tsack sticks to me, rear gets sore, probably from a combination of 69 year old butt and no ventilation! Anyway, I like the look of the Ultimate seat and have read as much as I can find about it...including a recent 8 page thread. My question is, is my expectation that this would take away my NEED for the airpad (https://www.rei.com/product/845302/r...78680026&lsft=) or is it just a bit better than stock? I know this is very subjective, however people RAVE about the seat but could it be THAT different from stock over long distances (say 400 mile days)?In fact could ANY seat be THAT different? Maybe some of you are familiar with the airhawk...would an ultimate seat be as good as that? The air cushion seems to prevent monkeybutt...is the foam so different from stock on the ultimate (or any other aftermarket seat? I also notice that products get waves of interest here...so is my timing such that I am in an Ultimate "wave" or does the comfort surpass corbin, mustang etc.? FWIW I weigh about 180 and am 5"8" or so...

I just got a Hartco seat, and love it. We may meet at one of the north east rides and you can see then.

My butt is 73

Richie

Seat issues.

I have a 65 year old but that did not like the Mustang seat so I bought a Saddleman that feels firm but rides well for a couple of hours at a time. After that the 65 year old legs need to get off and find a watering hole anyway...

And not mentioned much (or just understood) in the long rides/seat discussion....never wear normal underwear, not enough can be said for a good pair of riding shorts for long distance rides.

The ultimate seat is a good seat. It is much more comfortable over long distances than the stock seat. I've only did a 220 mile trip with it so far but I didn't get the same excruciating burning sensation from the pressure exerted on my two Ischium bones; as I have experienced with the stock OEM seat.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have tried 3 different Ultimate seats on two different Motorcycles ( Valk & F6B) and although their seat was not for me I would say it will be cooler than your stock. One issue some have with the Ultimate is the seat is NOT waterproof. Well if a seat is waterproof how can air get through to keep your butt cooler. That should be a big plus for you right there.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

I have used the Beadrider with the stock seat on long distance and cross country rides and have had no problems riding all day. I also have the Airhawk Seat Cushion but find I use the Beadrider more.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    I have used the Beadrider with the stock seat on long distance and cross country rides and have had no problems riding all day. I also have the Airhawk Seat Cushion but find I use the Beadrider more.
    That is kinda what I'm wondering...if seat "aids" are just as much an improvement, at the end of the day, as a new $650 seat.

Having said that...my vanity might still steer me to a new seat bec ause air pads and beads don't look as "cool" ...and yes, I am almost ashamed to admit that my ride is about the ride, my comfort, and how the whole package looks.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    That is kinda what I'm wondering...if seat "aids" are just as much an improvement, at the end of the day, as a new $650 seat.

Having said that...my vanity might still steer me to a new seat because air pads and beads don't look as "cool" ...and yes, I am almost ashamed to admit that my ride is about the ride, my comfort, and how the whole package looks.
    Rick - nothing to be ashamed of! Quite honestly, your best bet is to find a place where a bunch of F6Bs gather and that are all configured with different options and then sit and try.
    The North East Meet & Greet Group is a good start. There's definitely some variation there.
    Also the rally Sep 20-24 in Russellville AK, there's going to be at least 50 F6Bs online.

Ultimate - couple of styles, Russell Day Long - custom to you, Corbin 2 styles, Mustang at least 2, Hartco - custom, Mean City Custom seats - modifies your stocker.
    Plus some others I'm sure I've forgotten. It's a veritable smorgasbord for your tush.

Some of them are at the Daytona Bike Week and Biketoberfest.
    Not sure what "big bike rally" is up in your neck of the country.

As we age (I'm only 53 - but it's not the years, it's the mileage) I find that if all the parts from waist to knee are comfortable, then the ride is awesome.
    And yes, if you're going to change it, it might as well have a cool factor of "10."

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

shooter
    Don't show him my seat. Anybody else buys a "Shooter Special" it ain't gonna be special anymore.